• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

04 R1150RT starter reinstallment question

scootrp125x

They call me Gort
I am replacing my starter today, what a pain but first time projects usually are. I am ready to bolt on the new starter but I noticed that the new starter does not seem to mate flush to the engine case, especially where the pin protrudes from the engine case. It's very close but I seem to recall the old one mated flush against the case on the left side that I could see as I was unbolting the old one. Can anyone tell me if this is a concern? I see there are no gaskets between the starter and the case so it appears that this are does not have to be 100% sealed.
Thanks. Mark

All is well

I left the starter installed with the bolts finger tight while I worked on another project, replacing the fuel filter. Went back and wiggled the starter and tightened the bolts and it seems to be all snugged up like I remembered the old one. Now I know how to change a starter, not that I ever want to do another one again lol!:dance

old starter

Next question, what to do with the old starter? I have read that they can be rebuilt but I just installed a new one and hopefully I wont need another one for a long time. Should I have it rebuilt and keep it as a spare or recycle it? Or should I give it away to someone who might want to have it rebuilt and keep it as a spare for themselves.....just wondering.

Next question, what to do with the old starter? I have read that they can be rebuilt but I just installed a new one and hopefully I wont need another one for a long time. Should I have it rebuilt and keep it as a spare or recycle it? Or should I give it away to someone who might want to have it rebuilt and keep it as a spare for themselves.....just wondering.

What was wrong with the original Valeo starter?

starter making squeel noise

Valeo starters will most always begin making that squealing noise after a few years. Airheads, oilheads, they'll nearly all begin squealing sooner or later. Needs to be disassembled, old sticky grease carefully cleaned out (use a toothbrush and Q-tips, with brake clean). Re-lube with a nice moly-grease or even silicone grease, re-assemble. You'll probably be good for another 20,000 miles or better. May have to accomplish again. Cleaning & lubrication & re-assembly takes about an hour on the workbench. Be slow and thorough.

Thanks!

Valeo starters will most always begin making that squealing noise after a few years. Airheads, oilheads, they'll nearly all begin squealing sooner or later. Needs to be disassembled, old sticky grease carefully cleaned out (use a toothbrush and Q-tips, with brake clean). Re-lube with a nice moly-grease or even silicone grease, re-assemble. You'll probably be good for another 20,000 miles or better. May have to accomplish again. Cleaning & lubrication & re-assembly takes about an hour on the workbench. Be slow and thorough.

Back