Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need Suggestions for Maintance during trans replacement on 97 RT

Need Suggestions for Maintance during trans replacement on 97 RT

I have a 1997 RT with M97 trans that had the intermediate shaft break (would only pull in 5th gear.) I was able to obtain a replacement M97 trans from a salvaged bike. Based on the transmission's previous owner (also a MOA member) the trans was rebuilt by Anton and only had 14k on rebuild when he wrecked the bike.

Hunting season is over and I have pulled the trans, but have not yet removed the clutch pack. I am taking my time on this and want to make sure that I do it right.

My Bike is a 97 R1100RT with 62K. I plan on replacing the clutch disk while there.

I am planning a 7-10 day ride in April and I am wanting to make sure that I replace any other commonly known items of failure before the trip. One item I am thinking of either reworking or replacing is the Hall Effect Sensor.

Just looking for suggestions.

Thanks,

Mack

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by FD59 View Post
    One item I am thinking of either reworking or replacing is the Hall Effect Sensor.
    If it hasn't been done already, that's an excellent idea.

If there is no sign of seepage at the rear main seal I personally would not bother to replace the clutch disk. My experience is that they last 150,000 miles on R1100 and R1150 bikes.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    If there is no sign of seepage at the rear main seal I personally would not bother to replace the clutch disk. My experience is that they last 150,000 miles on R1100 and R1150 bikes.
    Thanks for the reply.

I will verify no seepage and look at the clutch and pressure plate surfaces, but the reason I am planning on replacing requires a quick story:

A very close friend had this bike and around 48K the clutch started slipping when the bike warmed up. My friend lost fight with colon cancer and at time of his passing the bike would barely hold 75MPH without clutch slipping. The bike was left to his son-in-law, who had never even ridden a motorcycle. I purchased the bike from son-in-law expecting to have to replace the clutch. However, he lost the keys & title, and the bike sat up for about 18-months while waiting for title and keys. During that time the clutch must have dried out or maybe the scorching wore off during my initial "easy" driving. I am really at a loss as to why it quit slipping. But, I have now put almost 10K on the bike without any slippage and prior to the transmission issues I could hold 100+MPH with no slipping. However, During that 10K I was easier then I wanted to be on the clutch for fear that it might get overheated and start slipping again.

Any ideas as to why a fairly bad slipping clutch would stop slipping after being out-of-use for over a year?

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Alas, I wish that were true. My current project
    Attached Images Attached Images
    At the tender age of five, a bear told me that only I could prevent forest fires. Why I was chosen, I'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by BMUUsed View Post
    Alas, I wish that were true. My current project
    It is true, at least for our two R1100RS and one R1150R bikes. Others I know of too. BUT, it depends a lot on whether those are mostly in-town miles or highway travel miles. I often go 200 miles having actuated the clutch 5 times going from a stop to 5th gear.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I had training last night so I was only able to spend a few minutes with the bike.

I took the clutch out and at 4.91mm the clutch disk is within spec., but time to replace.

Now about the housing cover and pressure plate: There is very little blueing, no cracks and even wear by all accounts a completely acceptable part. However, I read that all the clutch components have been updated and I need to replace everything when replacing the clutch disk. What has changed? Is there any reason I can't just install a new clutch disk and call it a day?

Pictures:
    IMG_4271.jpg
    IMG_4270.jpg

Any ideas as to why a fairly bad slipping clutch would stop slipping after being out-of-use for over a year?
    Initially out of adjustment, which you corrected?
    - Glenn
    2000 R1100RT (current)
    1982 R100RT (traded)
    1970 BSA A65T, 1969 Honda CB350, 1967 Honda CB160 all fondly remembered

Quote Originally Posted by K7GLE View Post
    Initially out of adjustment, which you corrected?
    The only change I made was to change the engine, transmission, and final drive fluids.

"Just looking for suggestions."

Hey, FD59,

I have a suggestion. Not a huge deal, but it might save you $100. My '99 R1100S, only 16K miles, was leaking at the slave cyl for the clutch. I think yours is cable operated so that can't happen to you, but IF you need to replace the clutch plate, and I did, this is what I found:

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/2123452bp.html

Mine was soaked in hydraulic or DOT4, swollen, and worn and down to the rivets anyway, had to replace it. I found the "New Siebenrock Basic Plus Plate For All R850/1100 Bikes From 12/97 (Except R1100S Models)" at BBY for $105, or about half of a BMW plate. This is not the "oil proof" Siebenrock" for near $300, but several on other forums said they had no issues with this plate long term. I don't either, but only have about 100 miles on it so far, way too early to tell long term for me. It feels really good. I did not replace any of the other clutch components. There is also a VW clutch with nearly identical dimentions and replacement pads you rivet onto your disc for $40. I thought about it, for about 3 seconds.

Gory pics of my clutch here: https://goo.gl/photos/QEN3xyQVWXW1jraT6

The learning curve was off camber and $teep for me!!

Good luck.

Lowndes
    Last edited by lowndes; 02-25-2017 at 02:02 AM. Reason: DOT not DOR

Lowndes,

Thanks for the reply, that is the solution I am leaning towards. I wish I knew the physical difference between my clutch disk and the modern/upgraded disk. I really hate to replace a good housing cover and pressure plate to the tune of $350+ if it really isn't necessary.

As far as the learning curve... This is my first BMW, but I have been wrenching on motorcycles, ATVs, cars, trucks and tractors my whole life so this is just a different road I need to see. I actually like working on bikes, etc. But I generally work slow compared to most and now need to get this job done soon. Looks like winter is not going to show up this year and its time to ride.

If everything works according to plan, I will be coming through you neck of the woods the last week of April. The first stop of my 7-10 day ride will be in Austell.

I'm +1 on the Siebenrock Basic Plus Plate from beemerboneyard. I replaced my stock plate after it got contaminated from a leaking transmission input shaft. As for replacement of the other components, my pressure plate only had 28k miles and when checked with a straight edge was flat, all other parts were in very good condition so I just reassembled. I put over 500 miles on after replacement before winter set in and things were working fine, every bit as satisfactory as original. Buy me a beer in SLC this July and I'll tell you how the new disk is holding up.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

jandhumphreyme, sorry I will not be making it to SLC. However, I might actually might make it to your neck of of the woods in April. I'll still by the beer if I make it that far north.

Ok, so after making a purchase of a large list of parts this is what will have been replaced or maintained within the last 5k once I complete this job.

- Rear main seal
    - Complete Clutch Kit including "Basket"
    - New Clutch Cable
    - Anton rebuilt trans with 14k since rebuild
    - New Hall Effect sensor
    - New Stainless break lines
    - New Front & Rear Break Pads
    - Front & Rear Tires (approx 1500 miles on them now)
    - New/Updated Left Cylinder Cam chain tensenor
    - New Spark Plugs
    - Valve Adjustment
    - New Alternator Belt
    - New Starter
    - New Fuel Filter
    - New Air Filter
    - New Odyssey P680 Battery

The only other items that I have heard about needing to replace or rebuild with any regularity are the drive shaft and final drive. The drive shaft looks fine and the only issue I seem to have with the final drive is a very small leak around the pinion seal. So small that I have not had to add any fluid to the final drive in the 10K miles that I have driven the bike. Even with that I might still replace the seal depending on how soon I complete the rest of the work.
    Last edited by FD59; 02-24-2017 at 02:34 PM.

jandhumphreyme, sorry I will not be making it to SLC. However, I might actually might make it to your neck of of the woods in April. I'll still by the beer if I make it that far north.

That's a deal. That's quite a list you've assembled there, should be good to go after all that. I see MS Delta as your location, upper or lower? Some of my wife's people come from up around Tupelo, and we lived in Hattiesburg for couple years, we really liked MS and miss it.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key