• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Annual Oktoberfest, September 15-17th, Catskills of NY - NJ Shore BMW Riders

deilenberger

A bozo on the bus
The NJ Shore BMW Riders would like to welcome all BMW-MOA club members to join us in our annual Oktoberfest Weekend in the Bavarian Catskills.

IMG_20160917_221123577.jpg

Once again, we're honoring the actual date of when Oktoberfest begins in Germany (September 16th in Munich) - and planning on excellent September riding weather! It's Friday dinner to lunch Sunday, September 15th-17th

Now in it's 6th year - we are again gathering at the Crystal Brook German Resort in Round Top NY. The weekend can be had as an all inclusive, ALL meals included with lodging, or as a B&B weekend with breakfast included. All reservations are done by the Crystal Brook Resort. We will have reserved seating at the Mountain Brauhaus, with live bands on Friday and Saturday night! This weekend also happens to be "Schlachfest" with much merriment and special German and Austrian bands in the Brauhaus.

20141004_210649.jpg

Great riding, great company, an ideal couples event - come join us! This fall, the weekend of September 15th-17th!

• The cost for lodging plus two each breakfast, lunch, dinner (total of 6 meals) and room is $176 to $188 (plus tax and tip) per person, depending on single/double occupancy and room size. The Crystal Brook is also offering a "Bed and Breakfast" rate of $60 to $100 for the weekend. Additional persons in the room will be $20 each. We'd suggest going full boat on the included meals - not only are the meals great - it's a lot of fun having a large group of enthusiasts dining together.
  • The address of the Crystal Brook is 430 Winter Clove Rd, Round Top, NY 12473.
  • Room reservations/payments are made directly to the Crystal Brook Resort. We'd suggest contacting them via phone to see what rooms are available. A small deposit is required.

The NJ Shore BMW Riders are NOT making any money off this event - we'd just like to share some fun time with other BMW enthusiasts from the area. There is great riding in the area, the food is plentiful and good, the Bauhaus is wonderful, and it's an enjoyable time. Last year we had many attendees from other clubs and it made for a great weekend.

The Crystal Brook can be reached at: (800) 999-7376 - ask for Wendy and mention the "BMW Oktoberfest Event" - or CLICK HERE to go to their website!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SjGHxDjMu24" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Feel free to contact me for any other info needed!

Last edited:
Anyone thinking of attending might want to contact Wendy at the Crystal Brook. It appears we're getting close to filling the place. Thanks to all the MOA members who have registered with the Crystal Brook - looking forward to meeting and greeting you.

I'll repeat again - the NJ Shore BMW Riders make not a cent from this event. We're just sharing a great location we've found with other BMW riders and inviting them to join us for the weekend. There will be no "official" events, seminars, meetings - but there might be lots of informal events and meetings. I hope to have some route sheets printed up of interesting rides in the area - but it's hard to find a bad road in the Catskills. There used to be a reservoir route kicking around - circling the NYC reservoirs - I'll ask around and see if I can find it. If anyone asks - I'll try to dig out some videos I made of touring Europe (13 countries in 12 days) or crossing the US and back. That's to help you sleep..

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

After having joined you folks last September, I was so impressed that the Chromeheads Motorcycle Club had its annual Ramblin' Pig Celebration at the Crystal Brook Resort from 8/17-8/20. We had in excess of 20 members attend, and had a FANTASTIC time. Food was plentiful, accommodations were perfect, Wendy & staff went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable, and the riding.....well the riding was awesome!

The roads were absolutely fantastic. Endless twists and turns, scenic vistas, waterfalls, reservoirs...you name it, we saw it. Frost Valley Road, Route 42, Peekamoose, Routes 23 & 23A through Kaaterskill and Haines Falls, The Neversink & Ashokan Reservoirs, Tannersville, all just amazing. Arguably, one of the best riding weekends ever! The average riding day was 150-200 miles +/-, and mostly we left around 9:30 to 10:00 am and returned 3:00-4:00 pm. We had a nice packed lunch courtesy of Wendy at the Crystal Brook, and had a nice lunch stop in a picnic area at the Bethel Woods Center on our way to Woodstock and a blast up and down Ohayo Mountain outside of Woodstock. There is basically no bad riding in the area, and I highly advise heading up there if you can.

Here's pictures of the 2 routes we did last Friday & Saturday:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Rest assured, as long as the weather is half-way decent, you can't help but have fun.

For those who like to add sightseeing and culture into the mix of great riding.. I would suggest starting with Olana https://goo.gl/maps/1mRCHNGVLA12 - right across the Hudson River. It was the home of famed Hudson River School painter Frederic Edwin Church. There are guided tours given of the home with an emphasis on the art - you'll want to call and sign up the day before. The tours are quite popular, especially as the trees will probably be starting to turn.

From there you could head south toward Rhineback NY - a very "hip" community, with lots of interesting stores and restaurants (although with the Crystal Brook food - you won't need a restaurant visit.)

A bit south from there - along scenic Rt 9, is one of the Vanderbilt mansions - https://goo.gl/maps/Rqwj51TX8G72 - also open for tours. Reservations normally aren't needed. And a tiny bit further south - FDR's Hyde Park home - https://goo.gl/maps/w4vfxZ4Ak6w.

Also worth seeing - the Mills Mansion - https://goo.gl/maps/TT1wLWfmCkA2, Wilderstein (home of FDR's woman friend) https://goo.gl/maps/GdjNsTtAmHm

Lots to do in the area.

Sept 15-17 Oktoberfest

I really had a wonderful time there last year, even though it is right in my backyard. Highly suggest you attend if possible. Nice facility, excellent food, hard to find a bad riding road in the area, Don has listed some very interesting historical sites to visit, evening music and dancing were very entertaining. That being said, I will be in PA that weekend for the 40th reunion of the R 100 RS bikes.....but I will hope to be at the Oktoberfest gathering next year.

Friedle

This is my first year of paid membership and I've never attended a BMW MOA event before.
What can I expect on this event? Are there organized rides? Or do people just go off on their own?
Would like to attend but I'll be coming alone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is my first year of paid membership and I've never attended a BMW MOA event before.
What can I expect on this event? Are there organized rides? Or do people just go off on their own?
Would like to attend but I'll be coming alone!

I should make it clear - this is NOT an "MOA Event" - what it is - is an invitation from my local club to join us at a German resort for a weekend of good food, good beer, great German bands and great company. Our club does virtually nothing to make this all happen - it's the resort that provides everything except the company. They also handle all the money, our club sees none of it, and isn't troubled if it's a make-money/lose-money weekend since we're not spending any money on it. This allows us to relax and have fun too.

We will have about 6 club members in attendance - perhaps more. Right now I think about 30+ people are joining us - but since the resort takes the reservations it's entirely possible I'm completely wrong.

As far as organized rides? Nope. I'm hoping to put together some route sheets of some of the great roads in the area, I just have to get off forums long enough to do it. I can provide a list of attractions worth visiting in the area, there are enough to keep you quite busy for at least 1 full day. The resort will pack you a picnic lunch if you want to have that instead of a sit down lunch at the resort. A number of people have done that and taken the lunch along with them on a ride. There will be enough people there that if you ask around, I'm sure there might be others who would be happy to join you for a ride. Spontaneous rides have happened to places like Motorcyclepedia - the worlds best Indian museum (they have one of "each".. from every year..) You could spend an afternoon touring robber-baron mansions, or Hyde Park, or Olana. All are nice rides - and fun to visit.

Other clubs do a lot more for their rallies - but the NJ Shore BMW Riders are incurably lazy. We don't do door-prizes (although I've been promised one by a vendor), we don't do longest distance, oldest dog on the oldest bike ridden by the oldest rider. None of that really... we do get together for our meals and that seems to lead to great conversation, that is then continued at night in the Brauhaus - where good German beer is consumed, and German/Austrian bands play, and people dance. Since it's a non-camping event we tend to get more couples than most rallies get.

Coming alone shouldn't be a problem. Ask for me and I'll introduce you to some of the people there - I'm sure you'll find it a fun time. And the roads in the area are GREAT!

Spoke to Wendy this morning - 3 rooms left right now. And aside from some showers early afternoon in the area on Friday, weather looks great! (And the showers on Friday are IMHO - iffy - the probability seems to be changing about every 2 hours.) Wendy told me she has 40 people registered right now. Should be a lot of fun!

Just returned from the event at the Crystal Brook Resort. Had a great time. Want to thank the NJ Shore BMW Riders for hosting the event. Great place, great staff, food was good. And what can I say about the beer other then Outstanding. Glad I stayed for lunch today, it was the best. Look forward to attending next year.

Val Valentini

Back