• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Transport Canada BMW issued a recall on the K1600GT, R NINE T SCRAMBLER, and R NINE T

mika

Still Wondering
BMW issued a recall on the K1600GT, R NINE T SCRAMBLER, and R NINE T modelshttp://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&rn=2017082
Transport Canada / 21min
Certain motorcycles fail to comply with the requirements of Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS) 1106 - Noise Emissions. The wrong exhaust silencer was installed during manufacturing, which results in the exhaust system failing to comply with the standard. Correction: Dealers will install an exhaust silencer compliant with the Canadian standard.

I've read through the regulations and it seems to be designed to accommodate older vehicles/motorcycles as well as new vehicles/motorcycles with stock exhausts as the testing methods have been changed over the years. It looks like the new standard is 83 DB when tested as per their recommendations , but I can't find how they are actually tested, ( rpm, distance from exhaust etc ).

So the short answer is that the BMW ones where too loud and failed the test or standard. Seeing as these same standards are likely in place in the US ( as Canada normally adopts the US Standard ) I would think there would end up being recalls in the US.

I assume they are referencing dB SPL at some distance. Do you happen to know what distance they measure at? Do they use weighting such as a or c weighting?

I assume they are referencing dB SPL at some distance. Do you happen to know what distance they measure at? Do they use weighting such as a or c weighting?

The recall references specific codes and standards which can be searched; however, I do not have that information on hand.

:laugh

I have wondered, from the outset of this recall, are they putting a "quieter" can on or just the proper can for the model?

You can tune racing exhausts by using various components in combination. Change the combination of parts and you are able to modify the performance to some extent. Is this a case of the wrong can being put on and changing the db output of the total exhaust system in the process? If so they wouldn't need a special can , just the correct one.

What ever the reason, someone someplace is getting charged.

:brad

Db measuring

Here are the way they mesure the db, it was developped withthe Quebec SAAQ and transport Canada. In Quebec two measurement are made if you get arrested. The first test is at iddle, less than 92db and the other at 2500rpm (5000rpm 3 cyl. and up)less than 100db, fine 200-400$.

IMG_5665.jpg
IMG_5666.jpg

It is simply amazing how the Canadians have figured out how to have a system to measure noise while meanwhile, here in the US, we just keep on "saving lives".:banghead

It is simply amazing how the Canadians have figured out how to have a system to measure noise while meanwhile, here in the US, we just keep on "saving lives".:banghead

I will agree with anybody that claim high and loud that loud pipes saves life, as soon as he can tell me why, if it is so, goldwing owner are the one with less accidents amoung us? Somethind doesn't add up here! :scratch

The tests that romay described being used in Quebec is virtually identical to the tests described in SAE Recommended Practice J2825. These tests were developed as a simple, repeatable way to quickly measure noise and eliminate any subjective evaluations. The test procedures are supported by the AMA and the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC).

I get furious when in a National Park and I am subjected to loud pipes. Stay away from Yellowstone the weeks before and after Sturgis. Hundreds of HDs crusing around in packs of 30 or more, wife beater shirts, shorts and sandles on display, and doing 10-15 MPH under the speed limit. They seemingly could not care one bit about spoiling the experience for thousands of others. It would be relatively easy for the NPS to establish noise standards and put in the equipment to monitor compliance at the gates. :banghead

Back