• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 GTL RDL Saddle

Jon

Wave to motorcycle cops
Setting up my new 2016 GTL. I have used Russell Day Long on my 2000 RT and 2009 LT. very happy with RDL. I'm getting ready to ship them a spare GTL-E seat to make me a new RDL. Currently I'm using a "high" model, good fit for me in the past other seats were all leather with rectangle quilting. I'm considering the Sunbrella this time around.....anyone have opinion on Sunbrella instead of leather? I will leave passenger backrest stock.

GTL RDL Saddle

JC,

I got the RDL seat for a GTL using the Sunbrella Material on the seating portion of the seat. The sides were vinyl. A couple of things to think about 1). They only use certain stitching with the Sunbrella material. 2). I find with the Sunbrella you do not slide around on the seat. Almost like having velcro attaching you to the seat. You can take a little bit of weight off your butt and slide some in the seat. If you are craving corners this is good, however if you are just going down the slab it might be inconvenient. 3). The material is a little harder to clean than vinyl.
After having Sunbrella on my bike I am not sure I would use it again. Need to see how it last, but the previous vinyl RDL seats never wore out. I have had the seat since Aug and put about 4,000 miles on it.

Last edited:
JC,

I got the RDL seat for a GTL using the Sunbrella Material on the seating portion of the seat. The sides were vinyl. A couple of things to think about 1). They only use certain stitching with the Sunbrella material. 2). I find with the Sunbrella you do not slide around on the seat. Almost like having velcro attaching you to the seat. You can take a little bit of weight off your butt and slide some in the seat. If you are craving corners this is good, however if you are just going down the slab it might be inconvenient. 3). The material is a little harder to clean than vinyl.
After having Sunbrella on my bike I am not sure I would use it again. Need to see how it last, but the previous vinyl RDL seats never wore out. I have had the seat since Aug and put about 4,000 miles on it.

Thank you. I think I will stay with leather.

RDL advice

I am preparing to order a leather version for my GTL. I have been riding with the "high" seat and was worried about having another 1.5" or so added with the RDL suspension. I found a "low" seat on the used market and plan to send that to RDL to upgrade. My hope is that I wind up at about the same height I have now. Any comments from those with RDL experience would be appreciated.

I also ride with the "high" seat and am mailing out a low used one I found. I explained to RDL what I wanted. I assume that with the pictures and spec's they will compensate and come up with a nice seat. The biggest modification is to lower my passenger. My wife like to look around me like our LT or RT on the GTL she is looking over the top of my helmet. I will keep you all posted.

RDL all leather

Hi all,
I have not posted before. I just received my RDL all leather for my 2015 K1600GTL this past Thursday and went for a 100 mile ride. I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam. I told Jay I would like to keep the reach to ground as close to stock as possible. He stated they would do what they could without sacrificing the comfort design of their seat. I believe they did what they could. I was flat footed on the stock seat and now on the balls of my feet with the RDL if I slide forward as was expected. So far I like it but need more seat time and weather is not cooperating here in WV. I am not sure but I think the low/high seat pans are the same. The difference is in the foam. RDL builds your seat from the pictures you submit to them. Please confirm this with Jay at RDL. Here are a couple of pics. Thanks

Attachments

• 20170309_161908.jpg
    20170309_161908.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 458
  • 20170309_161925.jpg
    20170309_161925.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 458
gtl-e seat on a gtl

Setting up my new 2016 GTL. I have used Russell Day Long on my 2000 RT and 2009 LT. very happy with RDL. I'm getting ready to ship them a spare GTL-E seat to make me a new RDL. Currently I'm using a "high" model, good fit for me in the past other seats were all leather with rectangle quilting. I'm considering the Sunbrella this time around.....anyone have opinion on Sunbrella instead of leather? I will leave passenger backrest stock.

bmw assures me the gtl-e seat will fit RDL assures me the bike needs to be modified has anyone actually been able to do this? And if so did you need to modify the bike? I am about to try the same switch over thanks for your help

I placed the GTL-E seat on the bike before shipping it and it seemed to fit fine. My dealer also knew my intent and did not say any motorcycle modification would be needed..........the seat will arrive at RDL today. I hope they don't call saying it cant be done.

Hi all,
I have not posted before. I just received my RDL all leather for my 2015 K1600GTL this past Thursday and went for a 100 mile ride. I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam. I told Jay I would like to keep the reach to ground as close to stock as possible. He stated they would do what they could without sacrificing the comfort design of their seat. I believe they did what they could. I was flat footed on the stock seat and now on the balls of my feet with the RDL if I slide forward as was expected. So far I like it but need more seat time and weather is not cooperating here in WV. I am not sure but I think the low/high seat pans are the same. The difference is in the foam. RDL builds your seat from the pictures you submit to them. Please confirm this with Jay at RDL. Here are a couple of pics. Thanks

I really like the looks of your new seat. Did you have them do any modifications to the passenger area or just recover it?

Thanks
Mark

I really like the looks of your new seat. Did you have them do any modifications to the passenger area or just recover it?

Thanks
Mark

We had them mod rider and passenger seat. Retained factory heat also. Wife is a little higher now making it a little bit of a stretch to her pegs. She is 5'4". Trying to break in the seat and see if helps her reach.
Jack

bmw assures me the gtl-e seat will fit RDL assures me the bike needs to be modified has anyone actually been able to do this? And if so did you need to modify the bike? I am about to try the same switch over thanks for your help

Hi. I just did this exclusive seat to gtl mod on my 2015 gtl. You will need these two parts to make it fit properly. They are like $290.00 retail. Takes about an hour to do. I bought 5 of the m5x20 screws #106327657966 too. I can't remember now how many I used if any. Here are a couple of pics. First pic is with the new exclusive parts. Second with the gtl parts. Hope this helps.

Luggage Grid - 46 5 48 544 375
Rear Trim Cover Center - 46 6 38 537 969

Jack

Attachments

• DSCN1749.JPG
    DSCN1749.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 403
  • DSCN1511.jpg
    DSCN1511.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 405
thanks for the heads up with a little smiling begging and a few compliments with the parts department she gave us a 15%discount we got lucky and got the only parts in the usa thanks again

I sent my seat last quarter for the Russell treatment. Since my passenger was happy with their portion I had them redo the driver portion. I went with the taupe leather with the halfmoon quilting option. The leather they used looks like the OEM and the halfmoon is very close to the stitching they used for OEM. I haven't tried it out yet other than sitting on the bike for 5 minutes. it sure felt comfy.

Attachments

• 20170304_125518.jpg
    20170304_125518.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 365
  • 20170304_125528.jpg
    20170304_125528.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 364
  • 20170304_125552.jpg
    20170304_125552.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 364
I got an RDL for 16 GTLE, rectangle stitching, leather seating surfaces, vinyl sides, back rest. Its new and still breaking in, a little higher (I asked for that to give me more room to the pegs). Very happy with the seat, only time I've ever had a bike where I have yet to think about the seating comfort, except to say "huh, my rear isn't bothering me." Kept the heat and used that this winter on a 30 degree day, worked great. Expensive seat but for a mile eater like this one, seems mandatory.

OK RDL seat done and mounted. Done on a GTL-E pan. All fit fine.

Attachments

• 20170608_150107.jpg
    20170608_150107.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 270
RDL experience

I purchased the RLD upgrade in black leather with HD suspension, back rest and seat cover options for our 2012 GTL. I got the seat just a few days before my wife and I departed San Antonio for a USA 4 Corners tour. Instructions say to allow 500 to 1000 miles break-in period before judging comfort. It appeared to push in the wrong places at first and I thought I might have to stop over in Reading, CA for adjustments when we passed through there. Well, I am not certain if the seat adjusted to me or I adjusted to the seat, but by the time we reached the west coast, I was totally satisfied. Yes, it a little taller than the stock seat, but well worth the slight inconvenience of needing to slide forward when stopping. I used to have to stop every 60 to 90 minutes to rest the rump with the stock seat. I have yet to stop for that kind of discomfort with the RDL. After 15,000+ miles on the seat I still absolutely love it. I have done several 500+ mile days including a 666 mile jaunt. My only other experience with an aftermarket seat was a Corbin for an FZ-1 sport bike 15 years ago. It was hard as a rock AND almost an inch taller than the stock seat. It still gathers dust in the shed. I highly recommend the RDL. I truly can ride all day...

IMG_1032.jpg

I know this is a longshot...but does anyone have a pre-ridden (i.e. used) RDL seat they want to part with? I just purchased a preowned 2015 GTL, standard seat height, and want an RDL in its place. My bike is black, so a black RDL is ideal -- but I'll consider any complimentary color. Thanks in advance for any leads.

I know this is a longshot...but does anyone have a pre-ridden (i.e. used) RDL seat they want to part with? I just purchased a preowned 2015 GTL, standard seat height, and want an RDL in its place. My bike is black, so a black RDL is ideal -- but I'll consider any complimentary color. Thanks in advance for any leads.
Welcome to the forum!
The Marketplace button at the top of the screen is your best bet for your search. The forum is kept clear of ads so someone isn't looking to catch up with you a couple of years from now :)
Gary

Back