• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Doing it just for fun or money?

motodan

BMW Oil filters...in 2014 I purchased a new RT, RT filter requirement changed from camheads, new one was taller, with different flutes requiring a different (new $$$) wrench and part # was changed from (last three) 541 to 779. Okay fine. Go to change new from factory filter and find an older 541 on it from factory. Glad I had old wrench to remove it. I think okay, BMW is just using up old stock #/size/diff flute filters from camheads on new production wetheads.

Go forward 3 years...today changing filter on '17 RT...same thing, it calls for a 779 filter, but there's a 541 on bike from factory. Gee they must have a lot of left over 541 filters from camhead days???? Glad I have both wrenches, one to get old filter off and second to use on new filters.

BMW just changed the # and configuration to make more money selling different wrenches and different filter numbers...because even BMW shows they are interchangeable as far as engine/lube function.

Not so sure those German's are so methodical, perhaps more conniving.

Attachments

• IMG_2571.jpg
    IMG_2571.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Yep, it made me scratch my head also when the parts fiche showed a different filter than the bike had from the factory.

My Dodge with a Cummins diesel came with a Mopar OEM filter that, when crossed to Wix, doesn't end up with the same number when looked up by (Wix) application. I buy the OEM filter.
OM

I'm sure BMW undergoes periodic supplier changes in parts sourcing. Thus it wouldn't surprise me to find different filter exteriors, and corresponding different filter wrench requirements, even tho the important specs remain as called out by BMW. I quit buying different cup-style filter wrenches to fit the latest filter iteration and replaced them with a basic band wrench and a filter pliers: https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-...=1487464373&sr=8-5&keywords=Oil+filter+pliers

Best,
DG

The 779 looks like a higher capacity filter. Since the filter from the factory is supposed to be thrown away after only 600 miles, they probably are saving a few dimes or so per bike by putting the smaller filter on from the factory.:dunno

A few dimes X the amount of new bikes BMW sells each year could add up to real money.

:dance:dance:dance

I cannot speak for BMW, but many automotive companies use different suppliers for replacement parts than factory parts.

The 779 looks like a higher capacity filter. Since the filter from the factory is supposed to be thrown away after only 600 miles, they probably are saving a few dimes or so per bike by putting the smaller filter on from the factory.:dunno

That would be my guess also.

Had the same issue with my 15 RT, since I have a case of the older filters and a really kool laser cut filter wrench will continue to use the in stock filters I already have. This came with the blessing of the service manager at Long Beach Bmw, the difference in size between the two filters probably makes little difference in filtering ability

I cannot speak for BMW, but many automotive companies use different suppliers for replacement parts than factory parts.

I"m pretty sure that on both BMW bikes and cars you can find different suppliers within the same model year.....

Not on an early K bike or a Honda CRV. You can only access the end of the filter.

:dance:dance:dance
Then you just buy a cheap generic plastic end cap filter wrench. They come in standard sizes. If it fits a little loose, stick a rag on the end when you put on. Works good every time...well, except for the times below... ;)

Nor on an Oilhead where the filter is in a recessed cavity.

So we can rule out Airheads, Oilheads, and classic K bikes.

In the immortal connundrum of those who have dealt with Microsoft, and now BMW...is that a feature or flaw?. :scratch

Chris

I used to think that having the filter recessed into the block was pain in the behind, until.... Buddy was telling me about his friend with a Goldwing. Front wheel kicked something sharp up and actually punctured the filter....just slightly. By "just" I mean that it wasn't readily detectable and he ran the bike out of oil and cooked off the motor. Now, I like the idea that it's recessed!

There's always this:

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63600-...=1487630861&sr=8-4&keywords=Oil+filter+wrench

or this:

https://www.amazon.com/FRAM-FA101-L...=1487630861&sr=8-6&keywords=Oil+filter+wrench

With a short 3/8" drive extension it works on the brick-K.

Hastings is the only filter company I know of that had a solid fix for the wrench issue--their filters were available with a hex nut on the bottom so could be removed with an ordinary socket. Too bad they didn't make a suitable filter for BMW bikes.

Best,
DG

The new R1200 filter uses the same wrench as the old K filter so it you changed the oil on your K the wrench can be used on the the spec'ed R1200LC filter.

The new R1200 filter uses the same wrench as the old K filter so it you changed the oil on your K the wrench can be used on the the spec'ed R1200LC filter.

Yep, I've been using the same filter wrench on all our BMWs since 1988.

P1030858.JPG

Back