• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cam chain noise

Tonyfr

Are we there yet?
I have a 2009 K1300GT that rattles on startup for about 2 seconds after the bike has been parked on the side stand. Has anyone experienced this with their bike before?

Your bike should have the updated tensioner, but it's possible it needs replaced.
My wife's 2011 K1300S rattled a few times on startup. I had the tensioner replaced and it never happened again.

Does your bike have the cam chain jump guard installed? That can be verified by removing the large Torx-drive inspection plug on the lower RH side of the engine--behind the RH fairing panel. With the Torx plug removed you should be able to just see the edge of the plastic chain guard. If you do not have one installed, do so ASAP to keep your cam chain from jumping and wiping out your valve train. Then check/replace the tensioner reservoir if needed.

My K13GT rattles it's chain on startup if it has been sitting for a couple of weeks--the tensioner reservoir bleeds down over time but quickly restores tension just a second or two after startup. If your bike is rattling at every startup, even with a warm engine, then I'd suspect that as mentioned earlier, you need to replace the cam chain tensioner/reservoir. It's the top-hat-shaped item bolted on top of RH side of crankcase, above and to the right of the Torx inspection plug mentioned earlier.

Good luck,
DG

Bike has a little over 12K on it.

I need to look it up but I'm guessing 40,000 miles on Deb's bike when it was replaced.
As mentioned you really need to make sure you have the jump guard.
I don't think it will help the start up rattle, but it will protect the engine.

Edit: The mileage was 38,440 miles.
After looking at the repair manual I was planning to replace it myself, but the shop talked me into letting them do it.
The part was $63 and the labor was $48.

Last edited:
If you have one of these, make sure the jump guard has been installed. No arguments, no nonsense. Without it the chain can jump a tooth causing a collision between the piston and valves. CRUNCH! With it you are OK. Get it done!

If you have one of these, make sure the jump guard has been installed.

I agree, it's VERY important to make sure the Jump Guard is installed.
I have met 7 K1200S or GT riders that had the cam chain break or jump a tooth.
i-BMW had a poll and it showed 27 K1200S/GT and 1 K1300GT owners had a cam chain failure.

That can be verified by removing the large Torx-drive inspection plug on the lower RH side of the engine--behind the RH fairing panel. With the Torx plug removed you should be able to just see the edge of the plastic chain guard.

Here's a picture.

Cover1.jpg

My K13GT rattles it's chain on startup if it has been sitting for a couple of weeks--the tensioner reservoir bleeds down over time but quickly restores tension just a second or two after startup.
It does it when the bike has been parked on the side stand while I'm at work. No noise when it sits overnight on the center stand. The jump guard was corrected on 2009 - up bikes.
** Edit **
Meant to say tensioner was corrected.

Last edited:
It does it when the bike has been parked on the side stand while I'm at work. No noise when it sits overnight on the center stand. The jump guard was corrected on 2009 - up bikes.

The tensioner was corrected around 2009.
Our 2011 K1300Ss did not leave the factory with a jump guard.

Here's a copy of the Jump Guard Campaign.

Attachments

• Jump Guard Campaign.jpg
    Jump Guard Campaign.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
The jump guard was corrected on 2009 - up bikes.

I'm not sure when, or even if, the chain guard was rolled into the production line. My 2010GT was a January 2010 production date and did NOT have the jump guard installed OEM. IIRC the SI on the jump guard didn't come out until 2012 or so, and was in response to the number of K1200 wedge motors that had grenaded their top ends. I purchased and installed the guard myself, as the part was available some time before the SI cane out, and BMW reimbursed me through my dealer (gift card) for all the parts.

Best,
DG

If you have one of these, make sure the jump guard has been installed. No arguments, no nonsense. Without it the chain can jump a tooth causing a collision between the piston and valves. CRUNCH! With it you are OK. Get it done!

I'll have it checked next week when the bike goes in for a valve cover gasket replacement. If it grenades before then, it is under extended warranty.

Another K1200GT Ownwer Whose Cam Chain Jumped

The cam chain on our 2008 K1200GT jumped two teeth at 40,548 miles and 22 months old. She was out of warranty.

Because I do my own maintenance work, I received no "goodwill" from BMW. That is their practice, though it seemed a bit harsh. I had an extended warranty provider who covered the $1,200 repair bill.

New sprockets, cam chain and tensioner/rail were installed. The upgraded tensioner was available and was installed.

At that time the cam chain jump guard was not available. When it did come out some four months later, I installed it myself.

The installation is absolutely a two second snap in place part. To get to the place it is snaps into though some 22 bolts need to be removed and replaced with new ones, they are one time use. With a new gasket that equated to a bit over $80 at the time, probably more now. BMW reimbursed be.

After the new parts were installed the shop did a leak down test and found no issues. I requested and paid for a valve clearance check and they were all within tolerance. I expected a bent valve but there was no indication of any valve lash issues.

This January I did a 114,000 mile service - all the oils, lubricants, filters, brakes, clutch, radiator, plugs and valve check. All the valves were within the tolerances as specified by BMW. Actually little to no movement as checked back when the bike had 18,000 miles on the odo.

I was probably one of the lucky ones who experienced no valve or head damage when the cam chain jumped. Very lucky.

It is essential a jump guard be installed ASAP if one is not visible through the inspection cap. As an aside it takes a T-60 to remove the cap.

Our '08 KGT is still our bike of choice for long trips.

Deryle Mehrten
Sierra Vista, AZ USA

I have a 2009 K1300GT that rattles on startup for about 2 seconds after the bike has been parked on the side stand. Has anyone experienced this with their bike before?

Good advice given so far - let me add a few more things.

The tensioner can and will leak down.

The chain and guides were considerably stretched and worn at 36k miles. I replaced the entire assembly, including the sprockets and tensioner.

BMW issued 2 reservoir style tensioners. The later one held pressure better than the fist. The chain guides were the same part number but had deeper/larger profile thus taking up more of the static chain slack.

Make sure you use 5W40 synthetic oil. It fills the reservoir faster.

Great motor in the K12/13 but really poor and weak valve train design. That rattle is a warning.

My K13GT rattles it's chain on startup if it has been sitting for a couple of weeks--the tensioner reservoir bleeds down over time but quickly restores tension just a second or two after startup.

The tensioner can and will leak down. Great motor in the K12/13 but really poor and weak valve train design. That rattle is a warning.

It only rattled once due to the fact that the bike was parked on an incline on the side stand. It doesn't do it when it is on level ground with the side stand or on the center stand. I'm going to have the dealer install the guard when it goes in next week for another issue (bike still has a two year warranty).

As a side note, there is a manual cam chain tensioner available from APE Racing:
http://aperaceparts.com/bmwtensioner.html

This is a good solution for someone who is very mechanically inclined and doing their own service work, as getting proper tension on the chain requires some experience and feel. For the average rider who has service work done by a dealer, probably not a good choice unless the dealer is willing to fiddle with an aftermarket part AND has technicians capable of getting the tension correct. Properly installed and adjusted on a regular basis, the manual tensioner eliminates the root cause of the chain jump issue--excess chain slack at startup.

BMW is not the only mfg who's had cam chain jump issues, Yamaha and others have been bitten as well. Just have a look at how many other marques and models are represented on APE's tensioner figment list--Honda, Yamaha, etc. In fact, the unit APE sells for the K1200/1300 is a rework of the design they developed for one of the Yamaha FZ models.

Best,
DG

Checked with dealer that sold me the bike. Tech says there are no open campaigns and the jump guard was installed. He gave me an early date on the install, but I am going to have him inspect it anyway while its on the lift.

Back