• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Saddlebag questions

I have a 2009 RT, same bags as your 1300. 20K miles touring and never a drop from rain or washing bike in my bags. Never use a liner in my RT bags, never had a leak. You must have had a bad set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 2009 RT, same bags as your 1300. 20K miles touring and never a drop from rain or washing bike in my bags. Never use a liner in my RT bags, never had a leak. You must have had a bad set.

Two bad sets, and the K1300S bags are not the same as the RT.
Mt_Washington_Hotel_2.JPG

P10004081.JPG

Two bad sets, and the K1300S bags are not the same as the RT.
Mt_Washington_Hotel_2.JPG

P10004081.JPG

Sorry your right, I thought you were talking about the K1300GT, they are the same as the RT. My bad. Never liked the 1300S bags, they look like they are taped together with that strap thing.

Sorry your right, I thought you were talking about the K1300GT, they are the same as the RT. My bad. Never liked the 1300S bags, they look like they are taped together with that strap thing.

The original question was about the RT bags, right.

You still need to do your research on any bike you buy. Especially bikes that do a variety of tasks. If your old enough and had the first saddlebags BMW designed, you may remember them dumping your stuff all over the road when BMW decided to stop using Krauser bags and designed their own bags which never latched properly. If you take the Moto Guzzi Norge, a truly beautiful machine has cheap saddlebags. I was truly unable to unlatch a bag on the floor of a showroom. You never know, take your time and be a truly annoying shopper and buyer when trying out a bike model. Ask the sales guy to hose down a bike and its saddlebags to see if they leak, why not!

My experience with RTs in the past and an RS wethead now, is the bags are pretty dry evan on long day in moderate to heavy rain.

The biggest flaw is that there are made of relatively light weight plastic and deform easily. So if over packed, something caught in the seal, or any evan moderate to light stress they will leak.

This is why BMW offerer relatively stiff bag liners...that hold their shape. They do not stress the plastic of the bags.

If you want dry bags that you can over stuff...buy Jesse's. They evan stay dry when you crash your bike.

With bag empty I always use hose and wet them pretty good to see if any water gets in. I like bag liners for the ease of taking stuff into hotel or tent.

Back