• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Independent BMW shops

Sharing to a larger group

The OP perhaps should consider what a benefit this might be to all BMW riders. Should this be posted to a larger than "hexed" forum? Like BMW Mottorad?
Thoughts?

Kurt had put a link in the Links and references sub forum earlier in post #2 as there is another thread with similar content

May move it at some point:wave

Over the years various people and organizations have made their own versions of this list, but IMO the main one has always been the IBMWR one. It's a real commitment to keep it up to date for years and even decades, and the IBMWR folks have done that well.

Tom might be receptive to improving the IBMWR database such that there is better location info and so forth, incorporating the improvements that you and others have invested your time into. Things like this are way easier to maintain in one place rather than many. Do you want to own this for the next ten or twenty years?

Over the years various people and organizations have made their own versions of this list, but IMO the main one has always been the IBMWR one. It's a real commitment to keep it up to date for years and even decades, and the IBMWR folks have done that well.

Tom might be receptive to improving the IBMWR database such that there is better location info and so forth, incorporating the improvements that you and others have invested your time into. Things like this are way easier to maintain in one place rather than many. Do you want to own this for the next ten or twenty years?

I have no pretention to "own" this, I did this file for myself because I wanted them in my GPS and not on a list. (I'm also trying to find something to do since all my maintenance is done and I cannot ride during the winter months :()
I agree that that the IBMWR is the most accurate one (after mine :whistle )
My file contains all the shops in the IBMWR list except the ones that I couldn't confirm or get a location for (Some only have a phone number) and some more not included in the list but that I have verified that they do BMW service.
Even the IBMWR has errors even though it was updated in feb 2017.
For example:
USA TX Boxers By Bruce 3620-4 Graves Blvd Pantego(817) 265-8065 is closed,
USA IL Taz Bok 120 E Main St Colfax 61728 (312) 709-5709 - Now Tukker ADV Motorsports
USA AZ Dirtball Customs 420 South Robson Mesa, AZ 85210-3007 - Now A.M.P. Motoworks
USA MA Cycle-Tech Motorsports 195 Central St.Mansfield, MA USA 02048, (508) 339-3530 is closed
USA NJ Eckenhoff Motorcycles of Cherry Hill 919 Church Road Cherry Hill, 08002 (856) 482-5300 is closed

I would really appreciate if I could get confirmation that the ones I did not include are valid BMW shops.

I have no pretention to "own" this.

Too late for that now. :) You made it and you've been updating it ever since, just like everyone else who maintains a list like that. So either you will keep doing it, or you will abandon it and the existing copies will become stale. Shops come and go on a regular basis; you're never going to be 'caught up forever.'

All part of why duplication of this effort is inefficient. Not to cast a gloom on your work, of course; motivation like yours is part of a really great altruism that is so nice to encounter from time to time. Hey, there are plenty of volunteer efforts that I 'own' and would rather not. But to survive, those efforts need an exit strategy. I'm making progress on that. Yours might be to combine your added value with en existing list that you don't need to maintain.

Too late for that now. :) You made it and you've been updating it ever since, just like everyone else who maintains a list like that. So either you will keep doing it, or you will abandon it and the existing copies will become stale. Shops come and go on a regular basis; you're never going to be 'caught up forever.'

All part of why duplication of this effort is inefficient. Not to cast a gloom on your work, of course; motivation like yours is part of a really great altruism that is so nice to encounter from time to time. Hey, there are plenty of volunteer efforts that I 'own' and would rather not. But to survive, those efforts need an exit strategy. I'm making progress on that. Yours might be to combine your added value with en existing list that you don't need to maintain.

Actually, maintaining it is not complicated as long as I get the info.

But I agree that having a single repository is a lot more efficient.

Even the lists on dedicated GPS POI sites are not reliable.
Also, the list of BMW dealers on this site is not up to date either.

those efforts need an exit strategy. I'm making progress on that

Keep me posted on that please.

Dan, I'd like to suggest that you consider changing your dating format from MM_YYYY to YYYY_MM. This will allow for much better sorting and easier visual recognition of the correct files.

That would mean that BMW Independent shops_03_2017.gpx, would become BMW Independent shops_2017_03.gpx and thereby keeping all files in a proper chronological order regardless of whether they span more than on year.

BTW, here's an extremely slight correction. You list Adrian's on 80 Rue King. The name is just a little different has double aa in the latter part - it is Adriaan's Cycle Service.

As an aside, in New Brunswick, you can use 80 Rue King or 80 King St whichever one prefers. The actual street signs read "RUEKingST" so they're considered completely bi-lingual. ;-)

Dan, I'd like to suggest that you consider changing your dating format from MM_YYYY to YYYY_MM. This will allow for much better sorting and easier visual recognition of the correct files.

That would mean that BMW Independent shops_03_2017.gpx, would become BMW Independent shops_2017_03.gpx and thereby keeping all files in a proper chronological order regardless of whether they span more than on year.

BTW, here's an extremely slight correction. You list Adrian's on 80 Rue King. The name is just a little different has double aa in the latter part - it is Adriaan's Cycle Service.

As an aside, in New Brunswick, you can use 80 Rue King or 80 King St whichever one prefers. The actual street signs read "RUEKingST" so they're considered completely bi-lingual. ;-)

Good Idea :thumb

High tech

All this high tech stuff has me baffled for a couple of reasons.
First, let me say that I am a rotary dial guy in an I-Phone world! So where the GPS and high tech people see the time spent in programing their stuff to get to a place as an assurance to getting there, I see it as an exercise in isolation. Once you have your directions locked in then you have nothing to do but follow directions to get where you want to go.
My concept of riding has to do with a certain level of exploring. I carry that ancient tool of navigation called a map. When I see a sign for an interesting site I just turn and go to see it. I don't have to reprogram the map to get me going somewhere else nor backtrack to get to the point where I left the assigned route.
I am also never without my trusty Anonymous Book! So if I'm in Pismo Beach, the clam capitol of the world, and I want to find out which restaurant has the best clams, I just call a local member to find out. Looking for an independent Airhead repair shop? Use the book!
And gosh and golly, I've been known to stop and ask total strangers for directions and enjoyed meeting people that I would otherwise had never met!
I don't know what motivates the rest of you to ride but I've always found pleasure in meeting people, finding terrific off the wall restaurants and enjoying killer motorcycle roads that are not quite so overcrowded as the Tail of The Dragon.

All this high tech stuff has me baffled for a couple of reasons.
First, let me say that I am a rotary dial guy in an I-Phone world! So where the GPS and high tech people see the time spent in programing their stuff to get to a place as an assurance to getting there, I see it as an exercise in isolation. Once you have your directions locked in then you have nothing to do but follow directions to get where you want to go.
My concept of riding has to do with a certain level of exploring. I carry that ancient tool of navigation called a map. When I see a sign for an interesting site I just turn and go to see it. I don't have to reprogram the map to get me going somewhere else nor backtrack to get to the point where I left the assigned route.
I am also never without my trusty Anonymous Book! So if I'm in Pismo Beach, the clam capitol of the world, and I want to find out which restaurant has the best clams, I just call a local member to find out. Looking for an independent Airhead repair shop? Use the book!
And gosh and golly, I've been known to stop and ask total strangers for directions and enjoyed meeting people that I would otherwise had never met!
I don't know what motivates the rest of you to ride but I've always found pleasure in meeting people, finding terrific off the wall restaurants and enjoying killer motorcycle roads that are not quite so overcrowded as the Tail of The Dragon.

For me the GPS is just another tool, I always have a map in my tank bag map window.
Most of the time I don't have a exact route in my GPS because we change our mind a lot and like you mentioned sometimes locals tell us about places we did not know about.

For me the GPS is just another tool, I always have a map in my tank bag map window.
Most of the time I don't have a exact route in my GPS because we change our mind a lot and like you mentioned sometimes locals tell us about places we did not know about.

I'm with Lee. I have been using a GPS since 1998 or so and as far as I recall I have never entered a "Route." And I always have a map in the tank bag window. I do often enter a destination and one or more via points. The GPS reliably tells me where I am, how far I have come, my average speed, etc. The map and the GPS help me pick a route. Given the options of "shortest" or "fastest" I almost never go exactly the way the GPS would suggest.

To my recollection, I have never met someone who’s life was saved by an ambulance or helicopter arriving at their location using a GPS in a fraction of the time it would have taken to stop and ask directions, or orient the map in the cockpit; but then again, this is a new America, I’m sure there’s someone who is pissed about their life being saved with the latest technology.

When I’m leading a group of riders, it has happened, on occasion, that someone in the group makes fun of the GPS I used to get them there on the best roads, on time, with no U-turns, and no traffic, to the best restaurant in town that just happens to be in the database.

I smile knowingly, and eat another shrimp off the barbie.

Back