Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Getaway Event Fees?

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I took a SWAG at trying to come up with what each item listed might cost the MOA to provide per attendee.

Reception: $15
    Dinner: $35
    T-Shirt: $15
    MOA Gift: $10
    Door Prize: $10 (assumes the $500 spread over 50 attendees)
    Staff: ? (The MOA must have someone on site to manage the event. Volunteer? Paid staff?)
    TOTAL: $85

My figures can be debated as too high or low, but I think they illustrate that the $89 fee is not a money maker for the MOA.
    AKeemer,
    Upon further review I will have to agree with you that there is very little if any money being made by the club.......
    In fact I will go edit my post and remove that terminology.
    thanks for taking time to split the numbers up.
    Jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    You could organize such an event and see how it goes. It might be a big hit and show another way for the MOA put on an event.
    The local chapters of the BMW MOA around here organize something like that.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    The cost covers the logistics of the operation and the goods that are provided in the package.
    Do the fees also cover the cost of travel & lodging for Board to attend the event? Or is that G&A?

Referring to the "triangle" strategy of harmonizing Local Clubs -- Local Dealers -- MOA, we could probably run these events for a lower cost if we gave the local clubs and dealers guidelines on running the event and acting as a host. At some point in ancient history there was discussion of "MOA in a box"... with the idea being a set of tools for local clubs and dealers to work with.

This might actually address the concern I have about the Fontana event, which since its inception has been scheduled for the weekend before the Georgia club's rally. At least this year it's two weekends before. And Mid-April is not exactly the best time to be in this area..... there may be other venues available at other times of the year.... I know I've recommended at least two.

I'm thinking that we could have more local Getaways with lower costs for each, while benefitting the local clubs and dealers. Then nearby Board members could ride to the event and participate just like any other member.

And fwiw, maybe there's an opportunity for incremental revenue through sponsorships, however that is rather difficult to come by these days.

Ian

ps => imo, this thread should be moved to the Clubhouse.

on edit: despite all my BM&W, these Getaways are an excellent idea and I hope that the overall plan is to push the management of these events out to our local clubs now that the model is established. We could have a whole lot more of these events if we aren't capacity-restrained by having Directors plan and manage them.
    Last edited by Visian; 02-16-2017 at 01:00 PM.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e || '07 Xchallenge || '14 Grom

No matter how it is done, at whatever price point, several folks will think it ought to be different, at a different price point. That is life. So those that like it go. Those who don't, don't. We have rides, rallies, getaways, the (Inter) National, and entertaining trips to Board meetings, all at our disposal. Take your pick.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    No matter how it is done, at whatever price point, several folks will think it ought to be different, at a different price point. That is life. So those that like it go. Those who don't, don't. We have rides, rallies, getaways, the (Inter) National, and entertaining trips to Board meetings, all at our disposal. Take your pick.
    Thank you for making that clear. Guess I'll stop asking why and recede back with the minions be satisfied as one of those who don't.

Consider this about traditions - Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid!
    "Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv Blue
    2011 R1200RT Ostra Grey - gone

For what it is worth, I suspect that the bulk of the cost is actually set by the venue. Whenever our company does events/meetings the site where it is being hosted has predeterminded costs for everything. Cash bars come at a premium as do meals. We always try to negotiate the prices down but food and drink is the one area they never budge. The responses we get range from a) they have additional costs for staff, prep, etc... b) head counts change and they are hedging that bet c) sometimes it is all provided by a third party.