• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Getaway Event Fees?

Travman

So why do these events have fees. I know that 2 dinners and a t-shirt are provided but why. Why not nix the fee and the participants buy their own dinner. At ~$45/dinner, a rather nice one can be had at the resort or in the area. I applaud the MOA for having smaller regional get togethers at hotel locations but I do not understand the reasons for the high event fees, or any for that matter. Seems more like a club money maker than trying to pull members together.

So why do these events have fees. I know that 2 dinners and a t-shirt are provided but why. Why not nix the fee and the participants buy their own dinner. At ~$45/dinner, a rather nice one can be had at the resort or in the area. I applaud the MOA for having smaller regional get togethers at hotel locations but I do not understand the reasons for the high event fees, or any for that matter. Seems more like a club money maker than trying to pull members together.

The overall cost of these events is surely keeping some (me) away.
It doesn't have to cost so much.
jason

Last edited:
In life there is rarely such a thing as an actual 'free lunch'. If one chooses to spend their hard earned cash elsewhere else than with a like minded club for food, or fire up a stove in their campsite, buy clothing elsewhere plus ride their own ride to anyplace one surely can. In my case, I often do that however, if I am getting a meal and/or clothing PLUS they opportunity to meet, stay, and have a ride or two with some new or old friends and Beemer folks it is well worth it. As always YMMV.

It is reasonable for people to disagree on this, but I don't think the fees are out of line.

They are not out of line................

But when you factor in the overall weekend cost including room, cash bar etc.............it all adds up.

There are less expensive locations to host events and events don't have to include anything.

No tee shirt, no goodie bag, just come and ride and hang out with your friends. And yes Fontana Resort is a very nice place but it doesn't come cheap.

Just a different way to look at things. Neither right or wrong, just different.
I've organized many events of both types and have offered my assistance to the new area Rep.........

jason

For your consideration-
Our local club "regular" breakfast meeting have a buffet style breakfast, the charge is $14.00.
Every now and then someone will notice that the "walk-in" buffet charge is $10.95. So the question arises why the extra $3.00?
For the extra $3.00 we get the use of a room (for 35-70 attendees), tax and gratuity.
It costs money to operate- even more to satisfy a group.
Is there money leftover for the MOA- I don't know. At $45.00, I wouldn't guess there was much.
OM

Is there money leftover for the MOA- I don't know. At $45.00, I wouldn't guess there was much.
OM

Getaways cost $89 or $178 for couples.
The OP mentioned 2 meal were provided. I thought it was only one, but I need to reread the info on the Getaways.

Here's info for the Texas Getaway
The $89 event fee includes a Friday night welcome party with cash bar, Saturday night dinner and awards with cash bar, $500 worth of door prizes, event t-shirt, special MOA gift and a silent auction to benefit the Motorcycle Relief Project. Event fees are refundable until October 10th, 2017. After October 10th, no refunds will be given.

Fontana shows 2 meals
The $89 event fee includes a Friday night welcome party and dinner with cash bar, Saturday night dinner and awards with cash bar, $500 worth of door prizes, event t-shirt, special MOA gift and a silent auction to benefit the Motorcycle Relief Project. Event fees are refundable until March 21st, 2017. After March 21st, no refunds will be given.

The Getaway event fee does not include lodging. Please call the hotel directly or visit the hotel's website for reservations and cancellation policies.

Getaways cost $89 or $178 for couples.
The OP mentioned 2 meal were provided. I thought it was only one, but I need to reread the info on the Getaways.

Here's info for the Texas Getaway
The $89 event fee includes a Friday night welcome party with cash bar, Saturday night dinner and awards with cash bar, $500 worth of door prizes, event t-shirt, special MOA gift and a silent auction to benefit the Motorcycle Relief Project. Event fees are refundable until October 10th, 2017. After October 10th, no refunds will be given.

Fontana shows 2 meals
The $89 event fee includes a Friday night welcome party and dinner with cash bar, Saturday night dinner and awards with cash bar, $500 worth of door prizes, event t-shirt, special MOA gift and a silent auction to benefit the Motorcycle Relief Project. Event fees are refundable until March 21st, 2017. After March 21st, no refunds will be given.

The Getaway event fee does not include lodging. Please call the hotel directly or visit the hotel's website for reservations and cancellation policies.

All looks well within pricing I see. Seems like a good time.
I don't see the organizers getting rich off the event.
As an aside, going to an event, and staying with the event usually yields a better time than doing separate segments.
YMMV
OM

Here's my take, although not likely appreciated by some; If you want free getaways call some friends, go riding and have your own get-together. :violin

I took a SWAG at trying to come up with what each item listed might cost the MOA to provide per attendee.

Reception: $15
Dinner: $35
T-Shirt: $15
MOA Gift: $10
Door Prize: $10 (assumes the $500 spread over 50 attendees)
Staff: ? (The MOA must have someone on site to manage the event. Volunteer? Paid staff?)
TOTAL: $85

My figures can be debated as too high or low, but I think they illustrate that the $89 fee is not a money maker for the MOA.

Here's my take, although not likely appreciated by some; If you want free getaways call some friends, go riding and have your own get-together. :violin

Your right, I can and do, and it's done in large groups without get together fees.

I took a SWAG at trying to come up with what each item listed might cost the MOA to provide per attendee.

Staff: ? (The MOA must have someone on site to manage the event. Volunteer? Paid staff?)

My figures can be debated as too high or low, but I think they illustrate that the $89 fee is not a money maker for the MOA.

I was not really questioning of where the fees were going but why provide all this at all. Is the local getaway for members the draw to the event or is it the arranged meals, potential prizes and a t-shirt. To me, I attend events that are social and ride oriented and do not have specific event fees. Guess that is just my anti-rally slant where I do not see the value in event fees. I'll get my own food and bring my own booze to a common meet point.

Again, what if a getaway established a designated hotel, blocked off some rooms, and picked a date. That's it. The rest is just fluff with no value (my opinion).

You could organize such an event and see how it goes. It might be a big hit and show another way for the MOA put on an event.

Executive Director Bob Aldridge addresses these questions from the open session board meeting in Atlanta last month. The answer, anticlimactic for sure for some, was captured in the minutes. Hopefully we can push that information sooner rather than later. Spoiler Alert, still, no smoking gun, no one's getting rich off the MOA from Getaways. It's still all about providing an experience for the members. The cost covers the logistics of the operation and the goods that are provided in the package. One getaway's fee I believe includes a boat tour... Gary's comment I think accurately reflected costs incurred for group events that a lot of folks that haven't organized these type of events often don't realize are factored into the event cost. The vast majority of the MOA's revenue comes from advertising and membership dues. I don't see this changing... ever really.
Hopefully we can get the minutes out soon, to answer some of these type of questions and concerns.

With Respect:
reece

AKeemer,
Upon further review I will have to agree with you that there is very little if any money being made by the club.......
In fact I will go edit my post and remove that terminology.
thanks for taking time to split the numbers up.
Jason

The cost covers the logistics of the operation and the goods that are provided in the package.

Do the fees also cover the cost of travel & lodging for Board to attend the event? Or is that G&A?

Referring to the "triangle" strategy of harmonizing Local Clubs -- Local Dealers -- MOA, we could probably run these events for a lower cost if we gave the local clubs and dealers guidelines on running the event and acting as a host. At some point in ancient history there was discussion of "MOA in a box"... with the idea being a set of tools for local clubs and dealers to work with.

This might actually address the concern I have about the Fontana event, which since its inception has been scheduled for the weekend before the Georgia club's rally. At least this year it's two weekends before. And Mid-April is not exactly the best time to be in this area..... there may be other venues available at other times of the year.... I know I've recommended at least two.

I'm thinking that we could have more local Getaways with lower costs for each, while benefitting the local clubs and dealers. Then nearby Board members could ride to the event and participate just like any other member.

And fwiw, maybe there's an opportunity for incremental revenue through sponsorships, however that is rather difficult to come by these days.

Ian

ps => imo, this thread should be moved to the Clubhouse.

on edit: despite all my BM&W, these Getaways are an excellent idea and I hope that the overall plan is to push the management of these events out to our local clubs now that the model is established. We could have a whole lot more of these events if we aren't capacity-restrained by having Directors plan and manage them.

Last edited:
No matter how it is done, at whatever price point, several folks will think it ought to be different, at a different price point. That is life. So those that like it go. Those who don't, don't. We have rides, rallies, getaways, the (Inter) National, and entertaining trips to Board meetings, all at our disposal. Take your pick.

No matter how it is done, at whatever price point, several folks will think it ought to be different, at a different price point. That is life. So those that like it go. Those who don't, don't. We have rides, rallies, getaways, the (Inter) National, and entertaining trips to Board meetings, all at our disposal. Take your pick.

Thank you for making that clear. Guess I'll stop asking why and recede back with the minions be satisfied as one of those who don't.

Consider this about traditions - Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid!

Back