• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Next bike to replace K75s

DavidMTX

I welcome your advise.
I have rode 1 bike for 15 years now. A 1991 K75s. It has been a great friend and very reliable. Before that I rode a R80RT. The K75s has been a great fit for me. I am just ready to try a different Sport tour and see what improvements I have been missing that newer bikes provide.
I have been thinking about the F800s, F800ST, R1200RS, K1300S.
I am 6 foot tall and in my late 50s. I ride the bike to work several times a month and take a few long weekend trips on it a year. My wife rides as a passenger 1 or 2 times a year on short runs.
I enjoy riding rode's with lots of curves, hills and good scenery. I have no interest in seeing how fast I can go in the quarter mile or going above 100. I do like to have acceleration when it is needed and tend to push the speed in the curves at times.
Summers get hot here in central Texas. The K75s has done OK in the heat.

Welcome to the forum.

Both my wife and I had a 1991 K75S for 12 years.
I'm 6' and she is 5'10"

Next we had the 2003 K1200RSs and then 2011 K1300Ss.

The K1200RS is even smoother than the K75 but it's heavy.
The K1300S reminded us of the K75, but on steroids.

I had a F800GT as a loner for 700 or 800 miles.
I thought I would like this bike because of the size and weight, but I did not.
For me it had too much vibration at 80 mph and it was hot.
Never had a bike kick out that much engine heat.
From what I have read the F800S and ST does not have the heat problem.

I did not notice much heat on the K75S, K1200RS or K1300S.

Both of us had been long time K Bike riders and are happy with our current bikes, R1200RS.
Take one for a test ride and see how you like it. You really need to ride it because the boxer engine is different than you're used to.
The R1200RS is only around 5 pounds more than a K75S

Last edited:
replace K 75s

Why not visit a BMW dealer and go for a few test rides to see what feels right to you? Oh, and just plan on keeping the K 75s. The dealer won't be offering much for it as a trade in.

Friedle

You will never find a replacement to of the most magnificent bikes ever built. I had an R80RT and a K75S.
From all the bikes I have had since, my R1100RT comes in the middle but a recent ride on a K1100RS came close to the 75.
I gave up and I'm restoring an R80RT and looking for another K75.
That being said, I am rather short, rather fat, very bald but far from ugly and the chicks still dig an old guy riding a classic. Classic chicks or classic bikes, doesn't seem to matter............................

I had two K75S's; first a '93 and much later a '87. Both were great bikes for the times and my riding style. Just for comparison in between I had a R100RT, K1100LT, R1100GS, R1100RT, F800GS, annnd wait for it: F800GT.

The F800GT was the closest to the K75S that I see. Unfortunately my comfort and riding style no longer fits the F800GT. Thing is, for as long as I've been reading the interwebs the K75S didn't always fit riders either. Folks were always modifying the K75S for comfort.

The same with my F800GT. I wanted it to be another K75S. A K75S that in my younger years I had modified with different bars, etc. So my F800GT was modified with a peg lowering kit, bar risers, modified windscreen. It still didn't work.

So now I'm very happy on a '09 R1200RT. The RT simply *works* for me (well, there *are* a few farkles). I guess I'm a RT guy after all. I'll keep the F800GT for now, it is still fun to take out.

So, after the long ramble my $0.02 take a look at more recent used bikes.

I too tried the F800GT as it looked great on paper, but it just did not fit nor seem easily modifiable to suit me.
Some 800s do vibrate worse than others. I had a F800GS that was ok except at narrow band around 85mph.

I chose the R1200RS as the best middle weight sport tourer. The RT was just to big and bulbous for me.

I'm a bit older so I did lower the RS's pegs and raise the bar 1 inch, and put on a bit wider wind screen (not higher ). I am extremely happy. The RS has a lower Cof G than the RT or clearly the GS and does the twisties soooo nicely. The torque is wonderful. Relaxed, swift touring.

I have 94 K75s and 09 K1300s. very different rides.

Love the K75s. never gonna get rid of it. classic, smooth, simple, comfortable, quick, fun in twisties, versatile (have city and integral cases). mine is stock other than a corbin seat. big smile every time i get on it. fits me like a glove.

Like the K1300s. got all the cool geehaas...newer abs, asc, shift assit, digital dash stuff. fast. too fast. needs about 50 less HP. there is nowhere to ever use the power if has and keep a license except on a track. i rarely use half the available rpm. not as smooth to ride around town or on the back roads as the K75s. no underseat or tail cone storage like on the K75s, so nowhere to put tools, spares, manuals, etc. stock sidecases don't hold as much as the K75 version. is it fun? yes. is it nicer on long highway ride? yes. is it a replacement for the K75? no.

it is a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Maybe one of the new Moto Guzzi V9 Roamers. 2 air cooled cylinders with drive shaft. True to the heritage. Anybody tried one yet?

Thanks for the warm welcome

This is exactly what I was looking for. People that have rode the K75s and have also rode the newer ones.
I really wish I had room to keep the K75s and a newer bike. All of you are confirming that I will miss it. I have the city bags and tour bags. I keep the city bags on most of the time.
I agree that my next stop is a dealer to ride the R, K, and F models.
I suspect I will be happy with any of the BMW models. Just need to find the one that will fit me best for the next 10 years.
Still need to save up more if I go with the R1200RS.

I bought my K75 new in 1989 and still have it. In 2009, I bought an R1200R. The R1200R is way more fun and comfortable to ride. They are both the same size and weight, but the R has 30 more HP, anti-lock brakes and a much more nimble chassis. The new 2017 R1200R feels even more comfortable. The R1200RS has a long bar reach, so if you like the reach on your K75S, you may prefer that.

I have no data on the new K-bikes.

I bought my K75 new in 1989 and still have it. In 2009, I bought an R1200R. The R1200R is way more fun and comfortable to ride. They are both the same size and weight, but the R has 30 more HP, anti-lock brakes and a much more nimble chassis. The new 2017 R1200R feels even more comfortable. The R1200RS has a long bar reach, so if you like the reach on your K75S, you may prefer that.

I have no data on the new K-bikes.

The power and suspension will be notable changes (improvements) from the K75.

F800s in Texas

Voni has a K75S. She also has an F800S. She loves the 800. I recommend an F800S.

So the F800s does OK in the heat compared to the k75s? To bad they only sold it in the US 1 year. Seems like a new version of the K75s.

So the F800s does OK in the heat compared to the k75s? To bad they only sold it in the US 1 year. Seems like a new version of the K75s.

Heat is not an issue on either the K75S or F800S, or her R1100RS. Those are all bikes with minimal fairings. I cannot say the same for my K75RTP. It is my winter bike.

I would beware the ergos on the F800S. It has an S weight forward, knees bent position that is "ride on top". That gets worse the taller you are- fits short folks better. Seat is also narrow compared to R bikes or K's.

I do not care for the K wedge motors- not even close to any brick motor for smoothness. Too bad the last K1200 bricks like the RS etc have extreme ergos- their motors are the best BMW has ever done, all R's included. Got a modded (chip, Ohlins, etc) K1200RS brick that is just loves charging out of high speed sweepers and has a sweet linear and wide power band. Also a K1200GT wedge that is a fast truck by comparison.

Stay away from the F800GT- it will roast your butt- we've got 2 and they are below 55 degrees only bikes. But if you have to have one I'll sell you mine.

You should ride some newer ones but I suspect your best bet is somewhere in the R bunch.
Maybe start with an R and then check an RS and RT.

I don't have a recommendation for your next bike, but if you are getting rid of the K75s, I am interested.
My first BMW was a K75s and I have been looking for another one.
My name is Charles
706-506-0336
MOA # 50959

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I welcome your advise.
I have rode 1 bike for 15 years now. A 1991 K75s. It has been a great friend and very reliable. Before that I rode a R80RT. The K75s has been a great fit for me. I am just ready to try a different Sport tour and see what improvements I have been missing that newer bikes provide.
I have been thinking about the F800s, F800ST, R1200RS, K1300S.
I am 6 foot tall and in my late 50s. I ride the bike to work several times a month and take a few long weekend trips on it a year. My wife rides as a passenger 1 or 2 times a year on short runs.
I enjoy riding rode's with lots of curves, hills and good scenery. I have no interest in seeing how fast I can go in the quarter mile or going above 100. I do like to have acceleration when it is needed and tend to push the speed in the curves at times.
Summers get hot here in central Texas. The K75s has done OK in the heat.

I had a 1986 K75s from new until I sold it in 2003 (great bike in it's time) and purchased a R1150 GS (another great bike but to big and heavy). Last year I decided I wanted something lighter and sportier like the K75s but with all the modern bells and whistles. After looking at many other motorcycles ( Wife said I should only buy a BMW, GREAT WIFE) I took a test ride on the R1200RS and it was everything I was looking for light, stable, powerful. After six months of riding it I feel it may be the best bike I have owned. Get a test ride and see for yourself.

Back