• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Olympia X Moto line

Texpaul

Lost again
Anyone here have first hand experience with the Olympia X Moto Jacket and/or pants? I know Olympia is good, wife has had several outfits and I know that IYHO brand X is better but I'm just looking for feedback from someone(s) who have or used to have this particular Olympia model jacket/pants. Thanks in advance.

Have used both jacket and pants (actually two sets, courtesy of some product reviews I did), and was supremely happy with the gear.

Quality construction, held up to heavy touring, great value compared to other brands (i.e. BMW {made by BMG}, Aerostich, etc.) and highly functional.

Would buy another set tomorrow, except tough to wear this garment out. :dance

Just acquired the older version of the Moto X, the MotoQuest (jacket only) to replace my very worn First Gear Kilimanjaro. I have not been able to put many miles on it, but so far I am really happy with it. Here in NC we have had a good run of weather, mid 60's during the day and the vents work well. I enjoy being able to adjust the amount of venting simply by how far I unzip. The chest vents fold easily one handed while rolling down the road. When it is in the 30's when I go home (I work nights), even without the liner, the jacket holds heat well and I have not felt a draft sneaking its way in. The liner is so far the best I have had in a jacket. Last week I went out on a 45 degree day for a 100 mile quick trip. I did not have to wear four different layers of clothes for a change. I was more than comfortable with my Patagonia thermal liner, long sleeve cotton T-shirt, the jacket liner and the jacket itself. On a side note, the liner has a thermal reflective material and so far seems to do a good job. My speed(s) would range from highway (75mph) backroads (60mph) and side streets (35mph). Throughout the trip the only place I felt cold was my forearms. I did not feel hot or over heated, but comfortable no matter what speed I was traveling. I rain jacket seems to be solid, well made, Hi-Viz and can be worn in or outside of the jacket. I have not had a chance to use it in the rain, though for me it is more comfortable wearing outside of the jacket then inside. The rain jacket has plenty of adjustments for wrists, arms and core plus a cotton hood to wear under your helmet if you are so inclined.
Now the cons:
Again, I have the older model and some of these may have been changed/altered with the newer version.
The zippers, this is a small issue and in the bigger picture of the jacket is minimal and would not stop me from buying it again. The zippers handle (not sure what else to call it) are not attached directly to the zipper itself. This can create a difficult time when trying to zip your jacket up with gloved on or wearing a lot of layers.
Armor- The armor is quasi soft, but for the most part in the shoulders and elbows it is hard armor and will make the jacket a tiche stiff until your break it in. When wearing the water bladder/hydration system adds another layer of stiffness and can be difficult to look over your shoulder(s) when changing lanes. From what I saw on Revzilla, you can purchase soft armor and replace the standard hard armor if you desire (this is on my list once I acquire the resources). Also, the hard armor makes the jacket feel bulkier than it actually is, so the if you install the soft it might feel much lighter.

As of now and only about 400 miles on it, I am extremely happy with the jacket. I have yet to experience any wet weather so I cannot attest to its abilities in that regards. The jackets ability to handle a wide range of temps so far has been impressive and way better than what I was used to.
If you get the pants, let me know how those work as well, debating on acquiring those eventually to replace my Olympia Airglide pants.
Not sure of this hurts or helps, let me know either way if you can.
Mike

Thanks Mike. That is helpful since the X moto touted as an improved version of the older gear so if you're happy with the older model I would assume you would also have similar impressions of the new stuff.

I have the 2014 version Moto Quest jacket and pants and agree with everything already mentioned. I found the jacket a tad bit heavy and warm at full stop in the mid summer Fla heat when over 90 and bought a used Air Glide which is lighter and flows more air for those times. The gear has been on many long tours and performed flawlessly. I wear the thermal liner all winter as my only jacket when off the bike because it is so light and comfortable but very warm. With full length zippers the pants are very easy to put on and I like the fact that the rain gear can go over or under but since it is HiViz I usually wear it over. It is very well made and a great price point. You get a lot for your money.

Back