• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Registration Fee Question

markaz

Am I understanding this right? If I go to the rally with my wife it'll cost $55 for me plus $75 for my wife?

I was thinking about making this year my first rally but if that's the case, I may have to re-think.

You can save a net $10 if you enroll your wife as an Associate member. It will cost $10 for the membership but you will save $20 on the registration fees.

Last edited:
The cheapest part of a BMW is the rider.
How much did your bike cost?
How much did yours and your wife's ATGATT cost?
Are you really going to let $20 derail a multi day good time?

Am I understanding this right? If I go to the rally with my wife it'll cost $55 for me plus $75 for my wife?

I was thinking about making this year my first rally but if that's the case, I may have to re-think.

If you're only stopping in for one day, do the single day pass ($35). Otherwise, full admission has to be viewed as buying 3-days of camping.

In either case, you should go and experience the event.

Last edited:
The cheapest part of a BMW is the rider.
How much did your bike cost?
How much did yours and your wife's ATGATT cost?
Are you really going to let $20 derail a multi day good time?

I knew someone would come up with this. Frankly I think it's a silly argument, for this or anything else. Not everyone has spent tens of thousands on their bike & gear, esp not me. Regardless, I think $130 to wander around a rally is a bit expensive...so is $110 if we were both members. Why not have a Member & Friend price where only the member gets anything beyond basic admission? Like the child fee except maybe half the member fee, say, a couple for $75. If my wife came I doubt she'd have much more impact on the rally resources than a kid. And we wouldn't camp, either.

Anyway, thanks for the other suggestions. I'll check them out.

Similar ideas have already been discussed. How would you propose to enforce a 'half admission' w/r/t that person only being entitled to participate in and enjoy only certain offerings? You'd need dozens more 'wristband checkers' spread out at the rally. Remember the rally is run by volunteers who are already spread fairly thinly. And also remember that that "extra $20" that has you so hung up goes to a non profit organization that YOU are a member of and benefit from said membership.

So, I could say that since it's going to the MOA and not some $10 Billion gigantic corporation, that I feel the $20 is a silly argument. But I won't say that! :)

I knew someone would come up with this. Frankly I think it's a silly argument, for this or anything else. Not everyone has spent tens of thousands on their bike & gear, esp not me.

Wish people in this club were way more sensitive to those in our community that aren't flush with cash and time to ride. A lot of folks struggle to purchase a used BMW and keep tires on it, and we should not be demeaning them. A lot of the "younger" members we seek to attract fit into this category.

Maybe a day pass would do you (assuming they sell them this year). You can pretty much see everything you'd like in one day, and if the day pass is on Saturday you can go to the closing ceremony that evening, hit the beer garden and head back to your tent.

Sounds like the making of a great 3-day weekend.

Ian

Not sure what an MO Wanker is...what is an MO? :banghead

Anyway, folks, we all know that financials decisions are made at various levels and for a wide variety of reasons. The membership coves a whole range of members with their own priorities. And no amount of discussion is going to change people's decision making process. So, the rules for the rally registration have been stated. Let each member decide how they want to deal with it as it affects them.

Thanks...

And then there are those of considerable wealth that got that way by being very careful how and where they spend every dollar.... I know, I met one of these people once.

Indeed the fees seem high to old timer me, but I do remember Friday-Saturday local rallies with maybe one meal with a fee in the $45-$50 range so $55 does not seem so bad.

I think our rally is a tremendous value... but completely understand that some can't afford or don't want to.

And also remember that that "extra $20" that has you so hung up

From what I read the OP does not seem hung up over the extra $20 for his wife.
I take it he feels the $130 or $120 fee seems high for someone who will not camp at the rally.

Mark
Since you have never been to a National you should give it a try. If you find it's not a good value for you 2, you can skip the future Nationals.

Markaz, I apologize for some of the unwarranted attitude displayed. Makes me ashamed sometimes to belong. Your question is valid to a lot of us and just because something has been asked before doesn't mean everyone who logs in has read it before. Personally I think non-campers should get a break on the price. Now belittle me for my opinion and give him a break.

Members get a $20 discount

Quite simply: The "ENTRY FEE" is $75. However, members get a $20 discount.

Other clubs/organizations also offer discounts: ie, do you belong to the AARP? Here is your hotel discount. Do you work for a government agency? Here is your government discount.
It's a good thing for the members, & offers an incentive to our riding brothers and sisters to join the club.... where they will receive THIS - and many other discounts.

:clap

Markaz,

If you haven't been to the Rally and you're not sure it's your thing or interested in staying there 3-days, do the day pass ($35 per person). Some folks get wildly excited about the Rally, others don't understand it. I enjoy them, if I fill the days with volunteer jobs.

To each their own.

Thanks for all the input. I didn't expect there to be this much discussion.

For now, I'm leaning toward attending but if I do I'll come by myself for the three days, it's not worth driving up for just one day. And I'll drive & stay in a hotel...it will likely be too hot for me to ride up & I'm not a tent camper any more.

At any rate I'm hoping to meet some of you guys.

And I'll drive & stay in a hotel...it will likely be too hot for me to ride up & I'm not a tent camper any more.

At any rate I'm hoping to meet some of you guys.

You should try to exercise one of your BMW MOA benefits and join the IHG (Intercontinental Hotel Group). I've found savings of as much as $20/night when using the BMW MOA connection.

Charged $75 instead of $55

I signed up early to the Salt Lake Rally this morning and when I filled out the info it dropped my MOA number and charged me the extra $20!
Who can I contact to get this corrected. I have been a lifetime member for a long time.

Best Regards,
Eric Blume

Back