Thread: Camping at SLC Fair Park 2017

Camping at SLC Fair Park 2017

Does anyone know if there will be camping with electrical hookup for things like CPAP's?

Thanks

In the rally's I've been to they have had a medical needs area. Meaning power close by. Bring an extension cord and possibly a multible outlet pig tail.
    Enjoying life in the beautiful state of Jefferson
    2013 K1600GTL : 2004 VTX1800c : 2007 K1200GT with Hannigen sidecar

Thanks story, I know that they had that in PA and MO but not sure they would have something like that at this one.

I hope they do but if not there is a KOA about a 1/2 mile away.

There will be a special needs camping area

Quote Originally Posted by super8mm View Post
    Does anyone know if there will be camping with electrical hookup for things like CPAP's?

Thanks
    Yes, there will be a special-needs camping area, meaning some power outlets available for CPAP machines, etc. Do plan on providing your own extension cord as needed.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Is there plenty of shade where the campsites are located? Or it will be like in NY, a big open field and a mile walk to the main area (through a sea of RV's).
    I was asking if this was still a motorcycle rally!?!

I plan of bringing a shade structure anyhow.
    gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ericblume View Post
    Is there plenty of shade where the campsites are located? Or it will be like in NY, a big open field and a mile walk to the main area (through a sea of RV's).
    I was asking if this was still a motorcycle rally!?!

I plan of bringing a shade structure anyhow.
    I'll guess that you haven't been to many rallies of the size of the MOA rally. No offense, but these are almost always held at a fairgrounds, and as fairgrounds go, Hamburg had a lot of shade. Sure, there were open areas, but there was a lot of trees and shady areas. Most fairgrounds these days intentionally remove most of their trees because they reduce the versatility of the grounds, and virtually no activity these site book involve several thousand people camping there for three days. The other characteristic about fairgrounds is they have some odd layouts. So, Hamburg was "different" because the RV area was between the camping and the main cluster of buildings. If you thought there wasn't much shade at Hamburg, you would have hated Redmond, Oregon, but people overall loved that site, so much so that we had two rallies there. At Johnson City, TN, you didn't walk through the RV's, but tents were peg-to-peg and we had over 10,000 people.

At the end of it, every site I've been to had it limitations, but just like a motorcycle ride, whether or not you had fun is just what you make of it. Half full people seem to always have a good time - half-empty people, not so much.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Looking at the site on Google earth, there does not appear to be much shade.
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289

If you should decide not to camp, I would highly recommend checking out AirBnB. I found a room with private bath in an old Victorian home with great reviews about a mile from the fairgrounds...$30/night. Beat the heck out of the $120/night rates I was finding at hotels.

I had originally planned to camp, but decided to avoid the hot summer weather in SLC.

Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    I'll guess that you haven't been to many rallies of the size of the MOA rally.
    I have been to a lot of BMWMOA national rallies and get a little annoyed when I arrive after riding cross country a day early to find out that all the shade is all ready occupied. I have since given up and now carry my own shade structure and it is great.
    Except at Hamburg when the storm came through in the middle of the night & knocked over a bunch of tents and my shade structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gone.

Shade!

When I think about this topic my mind really splits into two modes. Yes, I do like to camp in the shade if only for those early morning moments when I sleep in and don't want to get hot. On the other hand, I'm not too keen on cleaning the tree sap off the tent fly that has stuck together with itself after being packed for the trip home. Then there was the time in Vermont where there were too many trees and I couldn't even find my tent! But that's another story.
    Lack of shade actually works out OK because the only thing I use my tent for is sleeping and changing clothes! Getting up at the crack of dawn assures me of a short line at the showers. If an afternoon nap is needed I can always find a shady spot outside or inside to get a quick snooze. And going to bed before sundown is so far away from my style that it hurts to think about it!
    I always volunteer, get there early and get into a site with a bunch of volunteers that have been camping together for years. And yes, we bring our own shade.
    Boxerbruce