• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

sport touring/touring tires for R1200GS

Any suggestions for sport touring/touring tires for my 16 1200 GS ?

In general it seems to me that I can't do better than whatever Michelin's recommending for a particular bike for a particular usage pattern. I've been very satisfied with the handling and mileage of the Pilot Road 4's on my GS and earlier GT and RT's. My GS usage includes about zero off-road miles and I like the PR4 Trails. Other brands offer possibly equally good tires - but I don't care for the experimentation and the possible surprises.

Michelin's PR 4 Trails

In general it seems to me that I can't do better than whatever Michelin's recommending for a particular bike for a particular usage pattern. I've been very satisfied with the handling and mileage of the Pilot Road 4's on my GS and earlier GT and RT's. My GS usage includes about zero off-road miles and I like the PR4 Trails. Other brands offer possibly equally good tires - but I don't care for the experimentation and the possible surprises.

+1^ Some riders I know us the PR4 GT on the rear. I have only used the trails and I really like them. Good luck. Let us know down the road what you decide and how they worked. :wave

Chris

Tire suggestion

Any suggestions for sport touring/touring tires for my 16 1200 GS ?
I have been using the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II for a few years on a GSA. I average 12K on the rear and 18-20K on the front. I have used several sets with comparable mileage results.

+1 above. I've used PR4's on a 1200 Multistrada, an 1100 Hypermotard, and a Triumph Explorer with great results.
All the PR4's use the same compounds in the tires, but the regular PR4 and the Trail version have a narrower center section of the harder compound versus the GT. The GT also has a stiffer sidewall to cope with extra weifght of Sport Tourer bikes and the luggage they generally haul. When my Anakees wear out I'll probably put a Trail version on the front, and a GT on the back. In my opinion, the Anakees are almost equal to the grip and security offerred by the PR4's in both wet and dry conditions, the only conditions where the Anakees are inferior are in damp conditions and when you're pushing the limits of the grip where they let you know they're getting close to the edge of grip a bit sooner.

Isn't putting sport touring tires on a GS an oxymoron? I think it is neater to Anakee 3s on an RT!!

Isn't putting sport touring tires on a GS an oxymoron? I think it is neater to Anakee 3s on an RT!!

Not at all. I know several riders who have GSs because of how they handle and how roomy they are, but who have no desire whatsoever to go off pavement. Their choice. Who am I to feel superior?

I have run PR4' s on my GSA when on long tours with H on her R12R...keeps me from saying the washed out fire road is fine headed to a campsite when it's borderline ...equal footing so to speak:kiss

There are times for more agressive tires...and then there are not. Turns the big GSA into quite the sportbike with pure road tires:evil

I have seen, and know some buds, who run TKC80's and never leave pavement...but look cool at Starbucks:stick

Here are pictures of the Michelin Road Trails and the Bridgestone Battlax. Both are made for the R1200GSW and are primarily road tires. I have a set of each I have yet to try as I can't wear out my Tourance tires!!

IMG_3006.jpgIMG_3005.jpg

I just put on a set of PR4 Trails but have yet to ride with them on. I did NOT like the Anakee III's. Mileage was good but grip was not - especially across tar snakes. They slipped every time, even when straight up. I slid the rear quite a few times on some of the twisty PA roads too. I hope the Trails are better.

I'm in this camp...
-I know several riders who have GSs because of how they handle and how roomy they are-

I rode less than .25% on hard-packed trails out of the 10K on her now. For me the GS is tall, roomy and has loads of space for long trips; and I love the electronics.

Now that I have experience with the GS... I'd buy a dedicated dirt bike if I wanted to go off-road more often.

Can't speak to GS but for RT Pirelli Angel GT & Metzler Roadtec 01 several folks say offer superior cornering performance w/ somewhat less wear over PR4GT. On my '16 RT I find the PR4GT to slide a little more than I would like in cornering and others note this as well, so for my next tires I will try the Angel GT or Roadtec 01's and see.

Can't speak to GS but for RT Pirelli Angel GT & Metzler Roadtec 01 several folks say offer superior cornering performance w/ somewhat less wear over PR4GT. On my '16 RT I find the PR4GT to slide a little more than I would like in cornering and others note this as well, so for my next tires I will try the Angel GT or Roadtec 01's and see.

I read some great reviews of the Metzler RoadTec 01 but when I checked last fall they didn't have a suitable size in the heavy bike version for the GS. It's a new line, so I expect they will offer a suitable size soon. Apparently it offers excellent handling and outstanding wet performance.

I read some great reviews of the Metzler RoadTec 01 but when I checked last fall they didn't have a suitable size in the heavy bike version for the GS. It's a new line, so I expect they will offer a suitable size soon. Apparently it offers excellent handling and outstanding wet performance.

I heard back from Metzler. They said the Road Tec 01 is not available for the GS or GSA and recommended I use the Tourance NEXT.

Last edited:
Back