• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS911 Download Utility won't run

jeffkruger

I recently upgraded laptop. My older laptop was running Vista Business OS and the new one is running Windows 10. When I download the utility onto the new laptop and run the .exe the window that tells you to connect the GS911 shows up very briefly and then goes away. I have tried running the computer in Windows 7, 8 and Vista compatibility modes and that didn't make a difference. The new laptop has a high end graphics card (GTX1060) and I tried turning it off and using onboard graphics and that didn't do anything. I've tried different screen resolutions. I've deleted and re-downloaded the download utility several times. It's always the same, the window opens very briefly and goes away.

I ran the software on my older laptop yesterday and hooked up the GS911 and everything ran great so I know everything seemed to be working as it should. It must be something with Windows 10 or a particular setting? Any advice or thoughts on things to try would be most appreciated.

Thanks for the thoughts 20774. I have ran it as administrator and the laptop more than meets the requirements. Windows 10, 16GB ram, Intel i7, etc. It's a pretty loaded up modern laptop.

I have tried all of the settings I can think of. I have ran the compatibility utility in Windows and it hasn't come up with anything. It's really odd how the window just goes away. If it was a resolution or display issue I think it would stay but just look odd. It opens up, is there for maybe two seconds, and then it's gone. No other programs running or other windows open.

I have posted in the Hex Code forums and also sent them an email yesterday. Hoping I hear from them tomorrow. In the meantime I have the old laptop that I can use, but it's frustrating to not be able to get it going on the new one.

I have posted in the Hex Code forums and also sent them an email yesterday. Hoping I hear from them tomorrow. In the meantime I have the old laptop that I can use, but it's frustrating to not be able to get it going on the new one.
Hexcode should be able to help. They have been good at answering my emails.
I have a Windows 10 laptop I use with my red wifi GS911.

I wonder if it's a problem with a pop up blocker.

Last edited:
I had that thought too Lee. Tried it with pop up blocker turned off and it didn't make a difference. I have tried it with everything closed and right clicking "run as administrator" in the downloads folder, all with no luck. Hoping I the folks at Hex Code will be able to figure it out. I'm sure it's something relatively minor, but I'll be darned if I can't find what's causing it.

The folks at Hex Code have been great about trying to resolve the issue, but so far, no luck. They sent me a drop box link to download the software directly without the downloader utility and it appeared to install and put an icon on the desktop. Now when it opens, a window opens and quickly disappears, just like it did with the downloader.

This is a very high end gaming laptop and I suspect it has something to do with the graphics or display. I have toggled the discrete graphics card off and used onboard graphics, but that didn't do any good. I have my old laptop that will run the program for now but I may end up just giving the GS911 away to avoid any further frustration. I would certainly recommend that anyone considering getting a GS911 make sure it will work with their current laptop.

Do you have a smart phone you can use?
If it was me I would rather use a old or cheap laptop for garage use and a phone for travel.

Have you looked in the Windows Event Logs to see if any errors are noted when this happens? I am not familiar with the program. Does it use Flash or Java and perhaps those are out of date? I have never seen this type of issue caused by a graphics card.

It runs fine on my smart phone and tablet but you don't have full functionality when running it on a phone or tablet, only with a PC. It runs fine on my old laptop running Windows Vista Business, but not the new laptop running Windows 10. I've sent copies of all of the logs and system info to the nice folks at Hex but so far they say nothing looking out of the ordinary. To say this has been frustrating would be an understatement. It currently works on my old laptop but I'm not sure how long that thing is going to last.

Jeff -

Have you posed this situation on the GS911 forum? I understand that Hex doesn't have any answers, but what about the users out there?

Do you have a smart phone you can use?
If it was me I would rather use a old or cheap laptop for garage use and a phone for travel.

I'm with Lee here - I have an elderly laptop in the garage, just for the GS-911.

Try to remember, it's running fine on everything but your current computer. Chances are it's a setting in your machine. Take a step back and look in a week with "fresh" eyes.
OM

Didn't I see a previous thread about this program getting falsely tagged as malware? If you are running any security software (as you should be) make sure it isn't the culprit. You can check those logs/quarantine and if needed whitelist the GS911 programs so they aren't scanned.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm running Bitdefender on the new laptop and have disabled it and tried again with the same result. I don't mind using my old laptop for a while. I was hoping to try using the Bluetooth on the new computer to interface with the device though. According to Hex, with the right service pack you can get full functionality via Bluetooth without having to be tethered to the bik with a USB cable. . It's just odd to have a new laptop with the latest and greatest CPU, graphics cards, loads of RAM, etc., and it not be able to use something that is supposed to work.

I've sent all sorts of logs to the nice folks at Hex Code, screen shots, copied text files, etc., and so far they can't see anything. I've tried every setting I can think of. I'm going to get up early tomorrow to have more time corresponding with the folks at Hex Code since we have a 10 hour time difference. If that doesn't net anything I'll probably take Omega Man's advice and step back from it for a while. I suspect that I won't end up being the only one with this problem as more and more folks upgrade equipment, so hopefully whatever gets figured out will help save someone else some frustration in the future.

ON EDIT:
I just installed the loader utility on a different laptop running Windows 10 with no problems. It came up right away and asked permission to install the driver package. I never got that message on the other computer. I am thinking it has something to do with the drivers. I'm going to let the folks at Hex know. They have been very nice to work with.

2nd Edit:
I just hooked up the device to the laptop via usb and opened the device manager. When I went to the USB devices and found the device on the first window it says that Windows is unable to verify the signature of the source of the driver and there is a problem. Hex has had me try some different permissions settings but I am suspecting the problem is being caused by the drivers not being fully accessed by Windows because it's unsure of the signature.

Last edited:
I found a solution to 'my' problem.
Right click on installer and select 'unblock' and 'Apply'
software then ran ok. Had to do this for the Software itself AND the Downloader.
Hope this helps you.

Steve

Back