• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Getaway - Jay, Vermont -- September 22-24, 2017

By all means, if you have never been there, go. I have ridden the Northeast Kingdom region of Vermont before and I can tell you it is gorgeous! I would not hesitate to go back. Don't know if you'll see any leaf changing that time of year but if you do then that's just an extra bonus.

Did the Green Mountain gaps last year and had a great time. Lots of road repair going on getting ready for the winter when we were in the area.

I just called the Resort to inquire about rooms...............

$92 per night plus $25 per day Resort fee and 9% tax.

Sounds like $127.53 per night.

jason

The Northeast Kingdom of Vermont has few tourist draws, just sensational riding in the northern Green Mountains dotted with the occasional gem of a bakery or general store. Traffic is light. I've started scouting the roads looking for damage likely to require repairs this summer, but thus far it's looking pretty good.

Pete

Vermont Getaway

I booked myself last week, both for the getaway and the hotel. Used to go camping around there 20 some years ago. Beautiful area. Yes there are taxes and tourism fees on the hotel charge that bring the two night total to $254.92. For the beauty of the area, the location and the establishment: totally worth it, in my opinion. Canadians: check out the Canadian $ at par policy.

I'm planning on going. I will call and get a room. I live in NH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just booked my reservation for Jay Peak. Its about a 7 hour, 400-450 mile hike for me. Anyone coming from Long Island or anywhere en route that wants to meet and ride up together, please drop me a line.
Larry

Capture.jpg

Just playing around with MapSource today and taking the recommendations of a good friend who lives in Saint Johnsbury.
6-1/2 hours, 250 mile Loop running counter-clockwise.
White arrow is at Jay Peak Resort.
Covers:
Route 108 through Smugglers Notch
Route 232 through Groton State Forest
Route 102 along the Connecticut River
Route 100B along the Mad River
Route 135 along the Connecticut River
Not an inch of slab.

Just throwing it out there :)

I'll be there on my R100RS following the 40th year RS gathering in PA. It will be the third year in a row that my RS has made the trip from Georgia to PA > NY > VT > NH > ME and back. My favorite part of the continental US for sure. The timing is perfect. The summer heat en route will have subsided and it straddles the school's out vacationers and gets in ahead of the leaf-peepers. Marvelous!

If anybody that attends likes great beer. Alchemist is in Stowe Vt.

If anybody that attends likes great beer. Alchemist is in Stowe Vt.

If you're into overly hopped stuff with heavy grapefruit notes they are your brew. For an international gold winner three times running try Hill Farmstead Brewery in the gently rolling hills of Greensboro where there are no Stowe-style traffic nightmares. :)

FYI for those coming, VT-100 between Waterbury and Stowe will be in the middle of a major reconstruction. Work is scheduled at night, but you can expect several miles of well-groomed gravel/dirt. Ditto for VT-15 between Danville and Hardwick, though that route may have some daytime construction depending on how much the weather interferes with the timeline. VT-242 on Jay Peak is having a bridge replaced, but by mid-September they plan on having one lane completely done. So while there may be a flagger and only one lane open, that will be virgin pavement to the resort.

Update: Most road construction projects are coming along well ahead of schedule, and it looks like a couple of very scenic stretches will be finished before the Getaway starts. We're seeing the first hints of a spectacular foliage season and I've been busily scouting scenic routes for visitors to enjoy. One of the benefits of living in the Northeast Kingdom is we get very few tourists up here, so while the roads around and south of Stowe are packed with cars that often stop in the middle of the road to take a photo, this far north we consider it heavy traffic when there are three cars in front of you!

If you're on the fence about visiting Vermont this year, come. The riding is fantastic!

1.jpg

Wrapping up the last minute details at work.
Bike packed.
Blinker fluid checked.
Hitting the road at O-Dark Thirty tomorrow.
See you all soon.

rocketman[1].jpg

To all who helped organize this event, much thanks.
Food was great & met some nice folks. Accommodations were outstanding.
Got to spend some quality time with Pete & Tulliver, as well as Jules & Joanne from Quebec with their '68 R69S.
To the Weather Gods.....thanks for cooperating.
To the fine states of Vermont & New Hampshire....thanks for allowing me the opportunity of cruising your roads, taking in your scenery & mingling with your peeps this weekend. My 300 mile ride Saturday was a blast, and I'm sure only touched the tip of the iceberg as to what else these great states have to offer.
Left VT at 8:30am Sunday...60 degrees.
By the time I got to the Throggs Neck Bridge, it was 99.
Welcome home!
Until next time........:)

Back