• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Routes from L.A. to S.L.C. what's a Good Way to Go...

rapiddog

Barback King
Planning on going, yep.
Well be leaving SoCal, Acton to be exact.

We have two plans in mind
1.) Superslab all 660 miles up the Interstate in one day (sounds like a drag).
2.) Take two days to do it.

I've done the north rim Grand Canyon to Vegas before in a day, stopping in St George (ugh!) for lunch.
I don't know any interesting side routes that would get us there. Or even an interesting loop up and back.
If it's all the same up and back I will head west to Reno after the rally.

We both ride pretty briskly, a GS and an RT, weathered vets, albeit graying...
Looking at the map I'm wondering what would be a more pleasant approach to getting to the rally on that Friday afternoon.
Briskly mind you, but in a more sport touring mode.

Any ideas?

Planning on going, yep.
Well be leaving SoCal, Acton to be exact.

We have two plans in mind
1.) Superslab all 660 miles up the Interstate in one day (sounds like a drag).
2.) Take two days to do it.

Any ideas?

Slab it to Cedar City, then SR14 to SR148 to SR143 and north to Panguitch. US89 north, which is much more scenic and interesting than I-15, to Fairview. SR31 to 264 then north to US6. Turn RIGHT on US6 towards Helper but at Castlegate catch US191 NE to Duchesne. From Duchesne take 87 north to SR35 then west on 35 to Francis, then 189/SR32 to US40, then north to I-80 and on to SLC. I've done this route more times than I can count; it puts you on some of the best MC roads in Utah and runs through a mix of red rock country, high desert, forested mountains and a couple stretches above tree line. Gas, food, motels plentiful along the route. Great roads and the stretches at altitude give some temperature relief. Plan a meal at Mom's in Salina, but allow time as it's worth the wait--and order the home-made pie.

Have a great ride, and see you in SLC!
:thumb

DG

Patchwork Parkway

Any ideas?

You might like this little section... I researched it for an adventure event in SLC. It is *supposed* to be all paved and very scenic... I have not ridden this myself. The graph below the map shows an increase in elevation to 10k feet.

There's more information on-line.

<iframe src="//rwgps-embeds.com/routes/1171803/embed" height="800px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Ian

nice

Great! those are both good input. Thanks guys. Just what I was thinking.
Sounds perf.

Any of you have a recommendation for a town and/or lodge to stay at?
Looking at maybe Panguitch as a first stayover, then Friday a casual ride up to Salt Lake.
Canyon Lodge or Blue Pine Motel are my speed.
I like the old motor lodges you can park right at the door and sit outside a have a brew and fiddle with the bike.

Panguitch has several motels but I've not stayed in any of them recently so can't recommend one. There is also Ruby's Inn, just outside Bryce Canyon National Park and not far from Panguitch. Definitely not a mom&pop place, but a pretty decent place to stay.
Best, DG

395&50

It would be an easy call for me. I love Hwy 50 across Nevada and 395 is a beautiful ride. I plan on slabing I80 to get there but the ride home will most likely be, drop down to Delta and 50 to Fernley. If you do take 50, watch out for the local LEO's close to town, other wise your red line is the speed limit.

If you do take 50, watch out for the local LEO's close to town, other wise your red line is the speed limit.

Close to town go the speed limit, otherwise you can red line as much as you like but NHP does not like you going over 80 MPH.

Anyone trailing it.

July crossing high desert.....ehhh. Anyone have a trailer and want to share costs? :) I would love to ride in UT/ID

Panguitch has several motels but I've not stayed in any of them recently so can't recommend one. There is also Ruby's Inn, just outside Bryce Canyon National Park and not far from Panguitch. Definitely not a mom&pop place, but a pretty decent place to stay.
Best, DG

Speaking of hotels, motels and inns, I remember Mary and I stopping at this place back in 2001 (an epic 12,000 mile /5 ride on an overloaded machine). We only stopped for a photo because it seemed abandoned. Don't know the exact location but I thought that it fit this year's rally theme.

This year we are riding our 25 year old K to SLC (6,000 return + a little ride to Vancouver Island) and looking forward to getting out that way again. Anyway, this is an old pic from that ride adventure. - Bob

d71c6a3b.jpg

I'm in Santa Clarita and I'm figuring on taking Rt 14 to Rt 395 to Rt 6 to then Nevada border, then across Nevada on Rt 6 (also 95) to Ely (end of day 1). From Ely Rt 6 (also 50) into Utah until I hit Rt 68 and then up to SLC.

its longer than taking the interstate, but I'm assuming a bit less traffic and something more to look at than the semi trucks and texting drivers who aren't paying attention.

map.jpg

Panguitch for a Sanguitch

Decided to do a reverse loop compared to that.

I think we're gonna haul butt up the 15 from Acton on (early) Thursday to Vegas, rest a minute and do it again til we get to Cedar City.
I got reservations at a motor lodge in Panguitch.
Canyon Lodge Motel
Kick it, have a drink and dinner.

Friday probably do Bryce Canyon and head the backroads north to SLC.
Just got my Butler maps, it all looks like good riding inland from the interstate.
That's another 8 hours north but I suppose we can always bail and hit the highway.

Depends on when we want to get in and hit the rally for a look see.
I'm sure I'll be totally ragged by then...pray for clouds. :hungover

After the rally heading out Sunday, see Bonneville and go as far as Ely or Eureka NV/
I have no idea what's out there as far as motels...
Not sure what the wingman is doing but I plan to mosey west towards Reno, definitely the 50.
Reno the next day then maybe head towards the Bay Area.

Heck, I'll be on vacation!

After the rally heading out Sunday, see Bonneville and go as far as Ely or Eureka NV/
I have no idea what's out there as far as motels...

I booked a room at The Prospector Hotel in Ely ( http://prospectorhotel.us/ ) on the way out to the Rally.

I'm not sure what route I'll take heading home. I'll see how I feel Sunday morning after the ride out and a couple days of camping at the Rally. At that point I might just want to be home!

Anybody know anything about Eureka NV?
Looks like a couple old hotels there. Good halfway point between SLC and Reno....

Leaving SLC...

I have stayed at the Best Western in Eureka and it was a good experience. They are MC-friendly.

Best,
DG

I'll be leaving solo on Sunday morning headed west to Reno. Really want to do the Hwy 50 route.
How far I'll go after a stop at Bonneville, I guess I'll find out, especially depending on the weather.

Figuring to go halfway-ish, or as far as I can manage. Stay in Ely maybe.
I'm just not one to pull into a stay early when there's lots of riding light left.
I'd like to get to Austin or at least Eureka.

Guess I'll be playing it by ear...and drinking scads of electrolytes ;) ...

https://goo.gl/maps/jscrtJiuZHJ2

Last edited:
el fin...

...slab to Vegas 113 in Baker
Up early and slabbed to Mesquite for breakfast
Took the wrong route and ended up going thru Zion and got charged $25 a bike to drive through...that pissed me off royal...
Hit heavy monsson going up 89(?) but the ride up Hwy 12 was one of the best ever, just an awesome road all the way to Bicknel.
Nice casual run up the 89 and over the mountains, then up the 15 to Salt Lake...ugh! what a hot pit...the rally was a zoo, sorry MOA.
I left the next day at 5AM across Nevada...oddly only in the 90's but it felt like a cool spring day in comparison, at least til I reach Fallon NV.
Managed to find a motel in Sparks.
Great ride, but I'll never attempt such in July again.
Cheers!

IMG_8109-X4.jpg

IMG_8113-X4.jpg

IMG_8155-X4.jpg

IMG_8177-X4.jpg

IMG_8307-X4.jpg

Home again

I went from San Diego to SLC - via 395 stopping on Tioga Pass for a 1st camp out day. then across 50 to Nephi, UT = didn't want to go I-15 as southern UT was on fire and so was the desert. slightly cooler up north - but only slightly. Rode a few great roads - my favorite Timpanogos Cave Road and scenic Loop - as well as Mt. Nebo scenic loops. Hung out in the heat and camped on the fair grounds and head directly via 15 back to San Diego immediately following the closing ceremonies where I won nothing. I did however win a set of wrist warmers in the raffle -- can't wait until the day I need those (certainly not in SLC) - and scored a free seat from Sargent Seats due to them using my XR as a demo for their new design.
LDComfort underwear wetted down made the desert crossing and vegas to LA traffic tolerable after overnighting in Mequite. Home before Game of Thrones started.
Had fun - drank beer - sweated a LOT.
rode some great roads but not as many as I had hoped.

Back