Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Routes from L.A. to S.L.C. what's a Good Way to Go...

Quote Originally Posted by rapiddog View Post
    Anybody know anything about Eureka NV?
    Looks like a couple old hotels there. Good halfway point between SLC and Reno....
    I have stayed at the Best Western in Eureka and it was a good experience. They are MC-friendly.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Leaving SLC...

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    I have stayed at the Best Western in Eureka and it was a good experience. They are MC-friendly.

Best,
    DG
    I'll be leaving solo on Sunday morning headed west to Reno. Really want to do the Hwy 50 route.
    How far I'll go after a stop at Bonneville, I guess I'll find out, especially depending on the weather.

Figuring to go halfway-ish, or as far as I can manage. Stay in Ely maybe.
    I'm just not one to pull into a stay early when there's lots of riding light left.
    I'd like to get to Austin or at least Eureka.

Guess I'll be playing it by ear...and drinking scads of electrolytes ...

https://goo.gl/maps/jscrtJiuZHJ2
    Last edited by rapiddog; 07-11-2017 at 01:59 PM. Reason: add map
    "...the burble of my exhaust unwound like a long cord behind me. Soon my speed snapped it, and I heard only the cry of the wind...." Larry of Arubia

el fin...

...slab to Vegas 113 in Baker
    Up early and slabbed to Mesquite for breakfast
    Took the wrong route and ended up going thru Zion and got charged $25 a bike to drive through...that pissed me off royal...
    Hit heavy monsson going up 89(?) but the ride up Hwy 12 was one of the best ever, just an awesome road all the way to Bicknel.
    Nice casual run up the 89 and over the mountains, then up the 15 to Salt Lake...ugh! what a hot pit...the rally was a zoo, sorry MOA.
    I left the next day at 5AM across Nevada...oddly only in the 90's but it felt like a cool spring day in comparison, at least til I reach Fallon NV.
    Managed to find a motel in Sparks.
    Great ride, but I'll never attempt such in July again.
    Cheers!

"...the burble of my exhaust unwound like a long cord behind me. Soon my speed snapped it, and I heard only the cry of the wind...." Larry of Arubia

Home again

I went from San Diego to SLC - via 395 stopping on Tioga Pass for a 1st camp out day. then across 50 to Nephi, UT = didn't want to go I-15 as southern UT was on fire and so was the desert. slightly cooler up north - but only slightly. Rode a few great roads - my favorite Timpanogos Cave Road and scenic Loop - as well as Mt. Nebo scenic loops. Hung out in the heat and camped on the fair grounds and head directly via 15 back to San Diego immediately following the closing ceremonies where I won nothing. I did however win a set of wrist warmers in the raffle -- can't wait until the day I need those (certainly not in SLC) - and scored a free seat from Sargent Seats due to them using my XR as a demo for their new design.
    LDComfort underwear wetted down made the desert crossing and vegas to LA traffic tolerable after overnighting in Mequite. Home before Game of Thrones started.
    Had fun - drank beer - sweated a LOT.
    rode some great roads but not as many as I had hoped.