• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Engine shuts off when coming to a stop '09 G650GS

m_r_dewey

I have been having an issue with my bike, I have taken it in to the my local dealer quite a few times for this issue. But all I keep getting is "everything is good." This usually happens in the morning, my commute is approximately 15 miles (all freeway), when I exit the freeway the RPM'S drop below 1500, then jumps above then it abruptly shuts off. It may sometimes jump a few times before shutting off as well. This happened again this morning, (new battery installed in early Dec.) For the most part it restarts, but I have to keep the RPM'S above 1500 to keep it running. Has anyone had any similar issues? [I keep up on all suggested maintenance and get the oil changed regularly]

I have been having an issue with my bike, I have taken it in to the my local dealer quite a few times for this issue. But all I keep getting is "everything is good." This usually happens in the morning, my commute is approximately 15 miles (all freeway), when I exit the freeway the RPM'S drop below 1500, then jumps above then it abruptly shuts off. It may sometimes jump a few times before shutting off as well. This happened again this morning, (new battery installed in early Dec.) For the most part it restarts, but I have to keep the RPM'S above 1500 to keep it running. Has anyone had any similar issues? [I keep up on all suggested maintenance and get the oil changed regularly]

Yes... I currently ride a 2014 G650GS, but have had earlier models and experienced this issue. These bikes (singles) tend to be prone to experiencing this problem. There was a safety recall notice issued for 2013-2016's for stalling, but I am not aware of anything regarding the 2009's. If you did not install the new battery yourself, I would check the terminal connections to make sure they aren't loose. I am not a mechanic and there are others here WAY more knowledgeable than me.

I had the same issue within a week after purchasing a used 2009. According to the dealers service manager I needed a gear position sensor replaced. The repair did eliminate the issue.

Same problem

Second time back to the dealer. It is a 2016 with 600 miles. Nearest dealer 75 miles. Has stalled since new. Was returned for 600 mile service.

I have/had the same problem with my 2016 g650gs. Symptoms is that bike dies off throttle with clutch pulled in. After 2 stalls on the way home from the dealer, and ~8 stalls in 20 miles test riding to get used to the bike it went back for service. The software was flashed and it significantly reduced the issue. The bike definitely runs lean and wants to die when the old F650 I've been riding for a decade would keep running. The symptom seems to be worse if you try to downshift many gears at once (per dealer advice and experience) even with the clutch pulled in.

This bike has stalled more times in 150 miles than my F650 ever did and it came from the factory with the carburetor vacuum hoses plumbed backward to encourage vapor lock. (See chaingang site for reference). I've ridden 3 commutes now without stalling and I haven't been downshifting at higher than normal rpm like I was before so I'm hoping that between the minor rider retraining (see below) and the software flash the problem is fixed.

• consider a software flash
  • when you start the bike make sure the throttle is completely closed (so the throttle position sensor does not think partial open is closed)
  • don't downshift many gears at once

Second time back to the dealer. It is a 2016 with 600 miles. Nearest dealer 75 miles. Has stalled since new. Was returned for 600 mile service.

I had that issue. There is a recall for it which is an ECU software update. The easy but temporary fix is to turn the key off and leave it off for about a miniute then restart. On my bike it was very intermittent once or twice a month. I had it to the dealer 3 times before they could replicate it and then it was only because i didnt turn the key off when i got there.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Same problem

PUMA case has been filed by the dealer. I was given a loaner and am waiting for a response from BMW.

Engine shuts off when coming to stop

Dealer has replaced throttle sensor as per PUMA instructions. Will p/u next week.

Yea, thought mine was "fixed" too. Lately, I have found myself stuck on a blocked Interstate in hot weather. After about 30 minutes of creeping along with the fan coming on and off repeatedly, the damn thing will go dead unless you really use a lot of finesse with the throttle, and I have actually gotten pretty good at it. However, I am getting pretty tired of it. I guess it is just a quirk of the G650GS.

Back