• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

visiting San Diego area again

daveredman

Will be visiting San Diego (daughter & SIL) again, later in the month.

On previous 2 visits have been to:
Julian
Ramona
Palomar Mountain
Dulzura

On some great Roads:
S6, CA76 to Palomar. South Grade & East Grade.
Old Julian Rd, 78, 79 to Julian
Wildcat Canyon Rd
S1 Sunrise Highway
Japatul Rd, Japutul Valley Rd.
Lyons Valley Rd, Honey Springs Rd
CA 94

Also went to the SUnday morning San Diego BMW Owners Club breakfast and New Members ride.

Any other recommendations?
I can be quite happy visiting these places again, and other places nearby.
But am also looking for other places and other roads.
Am looking for day trips from San Diego (near Ocean Beach).

THanks

SAM_1690_Collage_JulianCA79_w1200_zpsuifmwkwq.jpg

SAM_18_635603562606453838_Collage_zps9rtyk967.jpg

SAM_1836_CollageJaputal_w1200_zpshjotdxps.jpg

SanDiegoRT2016_w1200A_zpsrt55tliz.jpg

SanDiegoRT2016_w1200B_zpstm89jevo.jpg

Anybody nearby have any recommendations...? any words of wisdom...?

At San Diego BMW there should be a map that lists the various twisty fun roads in the area. I see you did some of the good roads already. Another road that is a little haul is the Pines to Palms road Highway 74 in Temecula. This road twists and turns down to Palm Springs, another is Highway 78 or 76 out to Salton Sea. With all the rain that has occurred here the desert should be a good time at the end of February or first of March for viewing the plant life as well.

Hope this helps and have a good time with the family

Yah, that big map at SD BMW is great. Is the same map that can download from SD BMW Owners CLub web site.
SAM_1737_w1000_zpscnllkot0.jpg

You say:
Pines to Palms.
74 to Palm SPrings.
I will look into those.
THanks.

Are you in SD area....?

My daughter & SIL are in SD proper (near Ocean Beach).
Techmecula is as far north as I have gone on previous 2 visits. And Sun RIse Highway as far east as I have gone.

Ah... Pines to Plams, 74 to Palm SPrings.
Yah, Ortega Highway, Yah. Have heard of that and seen that on map.

I understand at present the western end of that is closed, mud slides washed out part of the road a few weeks ago. But the most of it inland is open.

That is fairly far north from San Diego, almost to LA area.

I will consider that. Have seen some great vidios online. Certainly looks great. Saw a few near 180 degree turns.
Will have to get an early start to have it be a day trip.

Last edited:
I live in north San Diego County and used to live near Ocean Beach. Its about an hour north from Ocean Beach to the Pines to Palms ride. Palm Springs is another couple hours from Ocean Beach. It is a good fun ride. Not too sure how the roads are currently with all the rain that has been dropping. If you are coming in a few weeks it should be pretty good. Every weekend people go to the deserts and alot of the dirt/debris in the road is pushed off to the side.

Another trip in San Diego County is De Luz road in Fallbrook. There are several roads in that area and this will end up in Temecula.

The Ortega Highway is a good one like you have indicated. That road was having issues due to the rains. It is now open. With all the rain this will be a great time to see everything nice and green. Have a great trip and enjoy.

Zues,

Thanks.
Pines to Palms is 74, I understand.
Did not get that far north. As far north as I got was Palomar Mountain.
Was only one day that I had "all day". Most days I had 4 to 6 hours.
I now see DeLuz Rd and Fallbrook on the map. Thanks, will look into that.

Today is last day here.

Have been posting pictures on BMWST.

Need to make more return trips.

Oh, recent update:
This was to be SonInLaws last year in San Diego, is to be reassigned elsewhere later this summer. So plan was for me to sell bike from San Diego or ride it back to Michigan this summer.
Well, now his new assignment is likely to be Camp Pendelton.
So that presents the option of keeping bike in area for an other couple years (but also presents the problem of getting bike from San Diego to Pendelton area).

Back. Was there 10 days.

Was there for 10 days. Rode each day. SOme days for 5 - 6 hours, some days for an hour or so depending on other activitys with wife and daughter and S-I-L.

Including the day of the worst winter storm in 12 years.
Yah, winter storm. Was 58 degress and rainy and windy.
(Was quite windy.)

IMG_8157_w2400n38n46c_w1000_zpspjpvottt.jpg

More pictures posted day by day in BMWST, Ride And Event: San Diego.

Back