• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sun damaged LCD screen

Does anyone know of a facility that will repair or replace the sun-damaged screen on the computer readout on my 2005 K1200 LT, or where I could send for the part. According to Max's microfiche, BMW will only replace the entire instrument cluster for a 'measly' $1700. (Bandits)
If anyone has had this problem in the past, I would like to know how it has been resolved without breaking the bank.
Thanks, Tony

Welcome to the forum Tony.

I wonder if one of those kits for cleaning up hazy plastic headlights would work?

Can one of the mods move this thread to the Flying Brick section.

I wonder if one of those kits for cleaning up hazy plastic headlights would work?

I used one of those kits from Turtle Wax on a couple of windscreens with extremely good results. If it's just yellowed or fogged, should work just as good on instrument lenses. :dunno

If it's cracked or crazed, obviously the lense would need replacing or the entire instrument replaced with a good one off ebay or from one of the recyclers that advertise in the Owners News.

:dance:dance:dance

I use the McGuiars 3-step plastic clean and polish on my instrument dial plastic - removes haze and makes them look like new. Might skip the first step for removing fine scratches as that might be a little aggressive for LCD.

Sorry, I think I overlooked that it was an LCD screen. They don't usually haze or yellow. They usually get that dreaded blob under the surface. I don't think that can be fixed. I think it has to be replaced at some level.

But, if it IS just the surface, plastic or headlight cleaners are worth a try.:dunno

Tony, is the part of the screen you need repaired the center square area?

s-l1600.jpg

Tony, is the part of the screen you need repaired the center square area?

s-l1600.jpg

Yes, its the computer screen itself not the plastic instrument cluster cover. The pixels are damaged.

Attachments

• IMG_3003.jpg
    IMG_3003.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 87
Yes, its the computer screen itself not the plastic instrument cluster cover. The pixels are damaged.

Buy the used cluster from Max that I showed you and put your cover on it. You'll not get any cheaper than that $99.

Talked to Max in CT. to make sure it was compatible. Ordered the part through ebay. Thanks for the tip.

Back