Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Convince me to buy a Nav V / Nav VI vs another GPS

Convince me to buy a Nav V / Nav VI vs another GPS

I have a 2016 RT and on my lengthy farkle list is a GPS for the bike. I have obviously been looking at the plug-n-play BMW Nav V (and now the new Nav VI) with it being integrated to the bike (dash mount, wonder wheel functionality) but it feels like a lot of money to me. If I explored another non integrated GPS and bought a mount for it and hooked 'er up, all for less money - would I be disappointed? What are the major plusses with the Nav X units?

Thank You
    I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.- Mark Twain
    Past bikes: 2001 Kawa ZR750S, 2002 VFR, 2006 V-Strom, 2008 FJR

We bought 2 and have been happy with the purchase, mainly because of the integration with our bikes.

Amazon still sells the Zumo 660 with lifetime maps for $300.
    The 660 will fit your RT mount but will not integrate with the bike. It will power on and off when you turn the ignition on or off.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I bought a refurbished Garmin Zumo 590LM last fall. Price was still high IMO at $540, but much cheaper than $800 new, or $900 for the 595. http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/...-Zumo-GPS.html

The unit came in a box with packaging that looked just like it was brand new. It also has a full factory warranty. I'm happy with it.

If you'd like to see if it'll work on your bike, let me know with a PM and we can meet somewhere. If it'll work, that's a lot cheaper than the BMW versions.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

wanderer
    I used a Garmin on my old GS and now have the Nav V on my new RS.

If money is important stick with the normal Garmin

However, if money is not a barrior the BMW unit is very good
    it locks on the bike so if you have to make a pit stop at gas station you don't have to worry if your GPS will walk off.
    The nave V seems to have better more detailed maps than my normal Garmin...yes both are current updates.....I can not explain this.
    The integration with the bike data is neat....I do love it. check you tire pressures, eng temp, etc etc..so much data

I would make sure I would get the VI as i think it has a bigger screen and better sun light mitigation

hey....its only money!!!

If you have to be convinced, it's not for you. Given how much you must have spent on the bike, I'd say the price of a Nav that complements it nicely is chump change in comparison. I have a '15 GSA and the Nav V integration with the bike is impressive, though you get more data from the GS/GSA onto the Nav V than you would with the RT. That said, that appears to be changing with the new Nav VI (based on what I read on BMW's website). As for being able to lock it, that's the case on my GSA, but I don't think that's possible on an RT.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

If you already have the GPS prep package on your bike, the Garmin 660 - 665 is an interesting and cheap option.
    They're mechanically/electrically compatible, you wouldn't need an external mount.
    It is an older design, with slower processor and doesn't support some of the latest options in Basecamp.
    It is a fine GPS to get from point A to B or look for gas stations in the neighborhood. If you wan't the latest bells and whistle, don't go that route.

Any other Garmin, you will have to include the cost of an external mount and install if you don't plan to do it yourself.
    A Garmin 590 isn't a bad choice if you find one cheap. It has about the same functionalities as the Nav V.
    A refurbed 390 would also do, if you can find one. Smaller than the 590, with less features but close to what the Nav V is.
    Other current Garmin for motorcycle cost the same or more as the Nav V.

A car GPS could work but be careful, some don't have bluetooth integration with com devices (Scala - Sena). Also they may not work with the Bluetooth onboard your bike. And of course, most car GPS aren't water resistant.
    You can get real cheap ones if you don't need / wan't to use Basecamp to set up routes.

Before I bought my '16 RT, I had a zumo 550 and a zumo 390. The 550 is gone (sold) and the 390 now sits on my wife's bike. I got the Nav V and don't regret it.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

A year ago when I looked at the Zumo 660/665, I passed on it for a couple reasons.
    • It has been discontinued.
    • The last software update was in 2010. That's seven years ago.

A lot has happened on the GPS front in seven years, and unless you can find a good deal on a 660, it's still expensive.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    If you have to be convinced, it's not for you. Given how much you must have spent on the bike, I'd say the price of a Nav that complements it nicely is chump change in comparison.
    Mark,
    I think you are dead on. I've cobbled up numerous Garmins to a bunch of different bikes. Haven't seen anything to compare with the Nav V on my GS. The only comparison I can give is the bolt on is like having an artificial arm and the Nav V is like the arm you got at birth. For a long time I thought a GPS was only good for telling you where you are or your position on a predefined route. YES, the Nav V will tell you that, but it will also allow to do planning on the fly, control your music selection, and a zillion other things WITHOUT major distractions from pointing your bike in the right direction.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    If you'd like to see if it'll work on your bike, let me know with a PM and we can meet somewhere. If it'll work, that's a lot cheaper than the BMW versions.

Chris
    Pretty sure the 590 will not fit the built in RT mount.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Waite and buy navVI, Nav5 was a great improvement over the 4, screen on 5 much better in bright daylight
    The 6 is a takeoff on garmins latest aviation hand held, which is a improvement over there previous model
    Using the 4-5-6 you get full use of bikes controls (wonder wheel)
    I suspect cross country Bmw will have similar deal on the 6 as they did the 5
    FYI I'll be upgrading to the six shortly when I do I'll part with the 5 at a reasonable price

I spent the big bucks for the Nav V and am very glad I did. The integration is very useful, and I think it's worth it just to be able to zoom the map with the Wonder Wheel.

BTW, the label Wonder Wheel seems rather dismissive. I find it to be quite handy.

Cheers, Ken
    2015 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by kbowman View Post
    The integration is very useful, and I think it's worth it just to be able to zoom the map with the Wonder Wheel.
    I realize a lot of people say they can zoom in and out by touching the screen, but I found zooming by touch was not easy if the road was rough or I had to keep my eye on the road.
    When I would try to zoom in or out by touch I usually had to take my eye off the road more than I like.
    I can find the wonder wheel without looking down and spin it, then glance down to view the map.
    Both of us find we zoom in or out with the map a lot more with the Nav V than we did with older units.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Pretty sure the 590 will not fit the built in RT mount.
    Quite possibly not...but we live in the same area.

Besides, it'd be fun to meet another BMW owner. And any excuse for a ride, is a good excuse.

Chris

DigtlArtst
    Integration with my '16 RT is key for me. Get the Nav V and enjoy it now.

Appreciate the comments. I was leaning to the Nav device anyway and I think this was confirmed as a good bet.

BTW- when is the Nav VI out officially???
    I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.- Mark Twain
    Past bikes: 2001 Kawa ZR750S, 2002 VFR, 2006 V-Strom, 2008 FJR