• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- April 21-23, 2017

I attended the Fontana Getaway last year and it was really worthwhile. At registration there was lots of information available in printed form giving descriptions and suggested routes for attendees. I cannot put my hands on that stuff now as it's filed away somewhere. However, I just went looking online and found a couple of websites which might be helpful to those who are attending for the first time, or like me, who filed away the route data. Here they are, with allegedly the best motorcycle rides in TN and NC:

1) TN: http://www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?c=118

2) NC: http://www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?c=109

When I left Fontana last year I rode on what I think was called the "Revenoor 28." Perhaps I'm wrong about that name, and the NC website gives it a different name. If anyone could help with this, I'd appreciate knowing what it's really called. It was a very fine ride for anyone heading east and a little south away from Fontana.

it is just called NC 28 when it comes out in Franklin NC you need to stop at Cafe Rel at the big gas station.

A few of us are signed up for the rally and looking forward to it. We're traveling from MI and leaving on a Thursday, hoping to camp in KY, Thursday night.

Does anyone have a good campground to recommend east of Lexington, the more remote the better?

thanks,

I don't know if this is a glimmer of hope, the work is scheduled to happen from 9AM to 3PM each day according to a Blount County newspaper:

"The plan Brookfield Renewable announced this week calls for crews to work Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. starting April 17. They expect to work for 30 minutes and then stop for half an hour to allow traffic to flow through the area."

If that's correct, then Saturday and Sunday won't be affected. Time will tell as they may have to extend the hours if there's inclement weather.

Update on Tail of the Dragon

I heard from Darryl Cannon of the Killboy photo operation. He said that they are putting information about the road closing on their FaceBook page. He did provide some updated information about the closing issues. Here's what he said:

"Announcement for those planning to visit between April 17-29. We had heard rumors that this might happen, but now we have confirmation. Looks like the Dragon will be closed for 30 minute intervals then open for 30 Monday through Friday. Open normal on weekends. Spread the word.

*UPDATE* I spoke to them by phone, and they said the road will be closed on both sides of the scenic overlook, very close to where work is being done. So most of the road will still be open, but turning around will be interesting for cars especially as things start to back up.

*UPDATE2* We're also hearing now that they won't be shutting down the road EVERY 30 minutes, just for 30 minute stints when they have to work over the road. The sheriff's dept. will be around working traffic though."

The underlining and bold are mine.

Thanks to all the Organizers

I just wanted to thank everyone that organized the Fontana Getaway.

Our group got there late on Friday, as dinner was being put away and one of the girls took care of us to make sure we all got to eat.

We got to ride the Cherohala Skyway on Saturday (and witnessed two crashes). And rode Deal's Gap twice, including Sunday morning in the pouring rain.

And actually, we rode 14 hours on Sunday in the rain, with only my BMW GS gloves finally giving in late in the day.

Thanks to everyone. It was a great rally.

Fun at Fontana

It was a lovely ride from Colorado Springs to Fontana and great weather through Saturday.
The event was very well organized by Stew, Chris and Adam and assisted by the upcoming Pine Mountain Getaway organizers - Bill and Nancy Voorhis.
The 2 and a half day ride home was wet and cold. It started snowing 2 hours after the bikes got put in the garage.
It was a great time and look forward to attending more Getaway Weekends.:)

Deb Lower

On the editor's page in the January ON the announcement was "soon to be announced".

Back