• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NASCAR 2017 :burnout

I watched the "Clash" kind'a boring till the last lap...becoming typical for nascar. Was strange not even hearing the name Carl Edwards....:scratch

It looked like a low crowd again , but It also seems they have painted the seats, and left them uncovered ?...making it harder to tell.

Best finish by Danica Patrick that I recall....

BTW...when is nascar going to outlaw that stupid burnout.....:burnout....ya could say I'm burned-out on the burnout....:mad

Old timer

I started racing at 16 in "claim" races at Bowman Grey Stadium in Winston Salem. I moved up to modifieds before going off to war. My first "big race" as a fan, was at Darlington in 1957. I was a huge Cotton Owens fan, but Speedy Thompson beat the field by three laps. I went to the Southern 500 on a regular basis. In 1996, Darlington raised the price of my infield parking pass [which I had had since 1969] by $200.00. I have not been to a race since. I have been to races at all the old tracks and was at the last race in North Wilkesboro. I remember when Jack Roush's son was killed leaving the race at Wilkesboro.

What killed NASCAR for me, besides the higher prices, was making it "family friendly". I knew the end was near when they started arresting women at the Friday night infield parties for indecent exposure. WTF? Rent-a-cops spoiled the parties; because NASCAR wanted everything to be "family friendly". I thought it was. Going with my Uncle Jack to camp in the infield and seeing titties was a part of my education as a kid.

I still have it on the radio while working on my bike or car; but it no longer is a big part of my TV watching and has stopped being a spectator sport for me.

BTW...when is nascar going to outlaw that stupid burnout.....:burnout....ya could say I'm burned-out on the burnout....:mad

I don't think they will ever get rid of the celebratory burn out. In a post-apocalyptic world, when Max finds "the last of the V-8's", the Prius races will have evolved. The winner's big deal will being standing on the "go-pedal" until he nods off from boredom. :burnout
O:burnoutM

I don't think they will ever get rid of the celebratory burn out. In a post-apocalyptic world, when Max finds "the last of the V-8's", the Prius races will have evolved. The winner's big deal will being standing on the "go-pedal" until he nods off from boredom. :burnout
O:burnoutM

OK,OK...you win....:thumb

I started racing at 16 in "claim" races at Bowman Grey Stadium in Winston Salem. I moved up to modifieds before going off to war. My first "big race" as a fan, was at Darlington in 1957. I was a huge Cotton Owens fan, but Speedy Thompson beat the field by three laps. I went to the Southern 500 on a regular basis. In 1996, Darlington raised the price of my infield parking pass [which I had had since 1969] by $200.00. I have not been to a race since. I have been to races at all the old tracks and was at the last race in North Wilkesboro. I remember when Jack Roush's son was killed leaving the race at Wilkesboro.

What killed NASCAR for me, besides the higher prices, was making it "family friendly". I knew the end was near when they started arresting women at the Friday night infield parties for indecent exposure. WTF? Rent-a-cops spoiled the parties; because NASCAR wanted everything to be "family friendly". I thought it was. Going with my Uncle Jack to camp in the infield and seeing titties was a part of my education as a kid.

I still have it on the radio while working on my bike or car; but it no longer is a big part of my TV watching and has stopped being a spectator sport for me.

Don't get me started on the 'softening' of NASCAR :banghead Which BTW I do believe happened just as you say . I believe that it was around the same time that men were told they should get in touch with their feminine side ? Well NASCAR got a little too in touch with it. After that it wasn't long before the 'twinkie-drivers' started showing up.

It seems each year I get interested at season opening.....much of that is gone after the 500...:dunno

This stupid 'chase' format wasn't bad enough..Now they [NASCAR] are even getting worse "PLAYOFFS" WTF....this isn't football !

I'd better stop now , before the softer side of MOA says we're not allowed to talk about it any longer & closes the thread.....another....:banghead

Bring back the ROUNDEL !

NASCAR ranks up there with the wwe i am surprised someone from the France family is not Secretary of transportation in stumps cabinet

Nascar is broken. Too many races, too many tracks. Especially tracks where the sport was never all that well received. The family running Nascar is out of touch and doesn't really care. Need a strong force with absolute power to turn it around. When Nascar began owning tracks the writing was on the wall. TV money, and the need to make the track facilities look nice and fit TV wishes ruined the at track experience for me and others. Used to be going to a race, or if lucky 2 or 3, was a vacation and highlight of the year. I have camped outside of the the Charlotte track in a tent. They had showers onsite. Try anything like that now. Hotels 4 times the normal rate. See, what they don't understand is that the rednecks that attended these 2-3 races per year were also the ones watching the races on TV religiously when they couldn't attend. And buying the products sponsored on the race cars. Remember when Tide detergent, Crisco shortening were major sponsors?

Someone mentioned Penske ruining the sport. Well, I would offer that the Rick Hendrick effect is far more reaching than anything Penske has done anywhere. Nascar MUST have independent teams to survive. But, they simply cannot compete with Hendrick without being a pawn of Hendrick. Rivalry between manufacturers is gone. Used to be as important as what driver you liked. Simply cannot tell one car from another. Safer? Well, put v6's or v8's with rpm limiters in them and get speeds back to 160 mph at Charlotte. Racing was better then, imo.

I know there is a lot more distractions that fend for peoples time now. But you simply cannot believe how good a race was to watch in person. TV doesn't come close. When they allow me to take my cooler and lunch into the stands again I will be back. Meanwhile, I spend my money at dirt track races now......

Nascar is broken. Too many races, too many tracks. Especially tracks where the sport was never all that well received. The family running Nascar is out of touch and doesn't really care. Need a strong force with absolute power to turn it around. When Nascar began owning tracks the writing was on the wall. TV money, and the need to make the track facilities look nice and fit TV wishes ruined the at track experience for me and others. Used to be going to a race, or if lucky 2 or 3, was a vacation and highlight of the year. I have camped outside of the the Charlotte track in a tent. They had showers onsite. Try anything like that now. Hotels 4 times the normal rate. See, what they don't understand is that the rednecks that attended these 2-3 races per year were also the ones watching the races on TV religiously when they couldn't attend. And buying the products sponsored on the race cars. Remember when Tide detergent, Crisco shortening were major sponsors?

Someone mentioned Penske ruining the sport. Well, I would offer that the Rick Hendrick effect is far more reaching than anything Penske has done anywhere. Nascar MUST have independent teams to survive. But, they simply cannot compete with Hendrick without being a pawn of Hendrick. Rivalry between manufacturers is gone. Used to be as important as what driver you liked. Simply cannot tell one car from another. Safer? Well, put v6's or v8's with rpm limiters in them and get speeds back to 160 mph at Charlotte. Racing was better then, imo.

I know there is a lot more distractions that fend for peoples time now. But you simply cannot believe how good a race was to watch in person. TV doesn't come close. When they allow me to take my cooler and lunch into the stands again I will be back. Meanwhile, I spend my money at dirt track races now......

I agree...about the only grass-root American racing left is motorcycle flat-track...And,....now I understand NASCAR has become involved in that, in some manner ?? The AMA has pulled away from 'hands-on' sanctioning as I understand. A such I look for it to go into the crapper as well.

I do NOT understand how Penske has ruined it ? I put that blame on [as a team owner] Hendrick first & foremost, then the France [kids] after the old man's death., greed ran rampant.

The 'cookie-cutter' cars are boring !! period. And the drivers are even more so.

Even the late Dale Earnhardt , who was & sorta still is the icon [of] NASCAR once said......they [nascar] better start making some changes , or put recliner in the stands.

[not a quote] but close.

On the news tonight it was stated that NASCAR viewership is down 40+% and ticket sales down 30+%. I'd say changes are indeed needed :scratch...and IMO a change back to some of the old ways might help ...:dunno

There were some fantastic last 5-10 lap finishes the past few years. The problem is the 100s of laps needed to get there.

I'd like to see some variant of the multiple heat races with a final race, or something like the World Super Bike format with two shorter races on a weekend. When the financial pain gets bad enough and sponsors pullout in significant numbers they'll try something new.

Thank you, I have been waiting for this to get political.:banghead

Damn near everything seems to go that way today. Politics are front & center & in our faces 24/7 it seems . IMO, much is due to the the constant barrage of 'news' & the multi communication channels out there.

Not suggesting that we stick our collective heads in the sand but....I would like to see people get back to enjoying their life , as opposed to trying direct 'others' lives....jus/sayin'

Remember when AJ was running Fords in Ford bodies with Ford engines, and manufacturers were actually representing their product and provide a presence to their fan base? Dodge and Plymouth came out with their outrageous aerodynamic 200 offs to satisfy the "production" requirements for "stock" cars? NASCAR by way of the French family took that all away by requiring spec cars be used but each team got to paint a manufacturer's logo on their car which had an identical body and engines to all the rest.

When the French family decided they needed to own every aspect of the series they took the personal investment from fans and the marketing interest from manufacturers. They reap what they sow.

Remember when AJ was running Fords in Ford bodies with Ford engines, and manufacturers were actually representing their product and provide a presence to their fan base? Dodge and Plymouth came out with their outrageous aerodynamic 200 offs to satisfy the "production" requirements for "stock" cars? NASCAR by way of the French family took that all away by requiring spec cars be used but each team got to paint a manufacturer's logo on their car which had an identical body and engines to all the rest.

When the French family decided they needed to own every aspect of the series they took the personal investment from fans and the marketing interest from manufacturers. They reap what they sow.

You mean France family don't you ?

It would be nice to get past the nit-picking and complaining about NASCAR and get on with enjoying the entertainment factor.

That said, Last night in the Camping World Truck Series, it was a pretty good race. Matt Crafton "flies" a truck at the end....and walks away :thumb

Fan Video-

OM

It would be nice to get past the nit-picking and complaining about NASCAR and get on with enjoying the entertainment factor.

That said, Last night in the Camping World Truck Series, it was a pretty good race. Matt Crafton "flies" a truck at the end....and walks away :thumb

Fan Video-

OM

Nit picking ?

There are those of us that do not think it is as "entertaining" as it once was . Voicing our opinions as to why, is not nit picking. It is an attempt at constructive criticism that NASCAR just might read ? hear of ? . If the attendance is down by significant margin & tv viewing the same, it would appear that our criticism may well be on target.

You mean France family don't you ?

Nit picking ?

There are those of us that do not think it is as "entertaining" as it once was . Voicing our opinions as to why, is not nit picking. It is an attempt at constructive criticism that NASCAR just might read ? hear of ? . If the attendance is down by significant margin & tv viewing the same, it would appear that our criticism may well be on target.

If you want, I can move the negative posts into something called- NASCAR, it ain't what it used to be?
OM

Back