• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

NASCAR 2017 :burnout

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Well, Daytona speedweek is right around the corner with the Rolex 24 rolling now.
The Daytona 500 is scheduled for February 26th :burnout

GettyImages-511620910(1).jpg

It appears that there has been quite a few changes this year including Carl Edwards (retiring)? and it looks like Monster Energy is the "new" name.

While I don't follow real close, I do enjoy the technological advances that have come from the sport. I'm even impressed with the view of the NASCAR website as the site seems to be setup with the fans in mind- http://www.nascar.com

With any luck the season will continue provide entertainment/diversion for those who are fans.
OM

I read where possibly Carl is considering a run for office in Missouri. :scratch Also, if someone can fully explain the new points system for NASCAR next year, bring it on. It'll probably take a few races to figure things out. :banghead

I read where possibly Carl is considering a run for office in Missouri. :scratch Also, if someone can fully explain the new points system for NASCAR next year, bring it on. It'll probably take a few races to figure things out. :banghead

The audience wasn't staying for the whole race.

Edwards the candidate? He's got the resume for it.

I didn't really understand the points/chase last season- even with your help :hungover It seems to be reminiscent of the faster runners starting first so as the others are out of the way? I don't really follow anybody in particular but the little tidbits that I pick up are interesting whether it be the car-haulers, motorhomes or the pit area. One of our Members here was gracious enough to forward me some info on the brake cooling systems that the teams use on the short tracks that may help with a vehicle problem I have been working on :thumb
Even the Nationwide and truck series were interesting.
OM

A guy I know, who says he knows :dunno, Said Edwards wants to run for governor of Missouri ?

I pretty much burned out on NASCAR some time ago. Too political ? too scripted ? Too many rules....and now they talk about it & try to make it sound like a football game.......Playoffs ?...com'on... It's a motor sport, not a stick & ball sport.

I truly wish we could convince those in charge to air some motorcycle racing...flatrack in particular . But I doubt it will ever happen ?

I caught some Supercross this morning from Anaheim this morning......Some FIM the other day on one of the cable channels. The bike stuff is out there but you have to dig for it.
I don't follow anyone in particular in either of the above but it was interesting to see, as the result of a crash, how deep the "rhythm" sections in Anaheim really are. Those 450's really fly.
OM

I do really like MotoGP and World Superbike, but my TV package doesn't seem to cover it. YouTube has a smattering of it, but too hard to track down...and record.

I might have to delete my own thread :banghead
OM

Gary,

Seriously, NASCAR is struggling with reformulating the sport to be a better TV attraction. The new formulation (3 race segments vs 1 long race) is an attempt to deal with the dead time between the start and finish. In today's world, the "endurance" aspect of a 400~600 mile race isn't that novel. However, jockeying for position (i.e., the racing) is or they hope it is.

The big tracks, like Bristol, are in trouble (dwindling crowds) and can make more money hosting college football games.

Technology? It's still a subset of F1 technology and more of a prop for the "reality show" script. The cars have to look a certain way and the drivers are expected to fit a certain character role. It's an entertainment product for target market which is shrinking.

Along those lines, the Harley annual sales numbers for 2016 should be released this week. Both H-D and NASCAR seem to be following similar trends.

My intention was a thread for those who may like NASCAR to talk about NASCAR. So far there has been negitivity about the condition of the corporate aspects of how well they are doing financially even dragging Harley Davidson in :scratch
There has been demeaning comments about the people that like NASCAR :scratch
:banghead
OM

I have traveled with my sons to one NASCAR race (Daytona) for a July race. It was great entertainment. We tagged on an extra day to enjoy what NASA had to offer at Cape Canaveral. The people seated on our left were a couple from South Africa who were there to soak up the unique vibe that is NASCAR in the USA. The family to the right of us were from Toronto who regularly combine that NASCAR with a beach holiday. What struck us was the ability to be very close to the cars, drivers and teams without having to pay enormous pit pass prices. In comparison to past Indy (Toronto, Vancouver) it was much more a family event and a more affordable one at that.

I like NASCAR. I've been to 4-5 races over the years and found the crowds pretty diverse and friendly. I prefer watching on TV but every now and then it is good to experience the noise and smells. I seldom sit and watch an entire race, but will have it on in my shop while working. It certainly is not scripted. I also watch F1 and MotoGP. MotoGP tends to be the most exciting by far. Several lead changes by 3-4 riders is not uncommon. I'm fortunate that we get them all on our sat service.

It is common to distainfully downplay the intelligence and skill level of the Bubbas in NASCAR, but the people who rise to the top in any of these sports are all blessed with exceptional focus, reactions, talent desire and access to the training and experienced needed. In MotoGP it appears one must also be 5 feet tall and weigh about 100 pounds.

It seems like some of the greats had a start in go-carts. Here in the Northeast, especially Mass, there isn't many places for real go-cart racing. Some time back, a friend of mine had some racing go carts and an "in" at a place to run them. Doing 70mph about 2.5" off the ground was really weird. I can see how being brought up doing that kind of driving would be a big plus.
I mentioned Carl Edwards earlier, the guy does a back-flip off the car door when he wins.......after sitting for 500 miles- WoW!
OM

I like NASCAR. I've been to 4-5 races over the years and found the crowds pretty diverse and friendly. I prefer watching on TV but every now and then it is good to experience the noise and smells. I seldom sit and watch an entire race, but will have it on in my shop while working. It certainly is not scripted. I also watch F1 and MotoGP. MotoGP tends to be the most exciting by far. Several lead changes by 3-4 riders is not uncommon. I'm fortunate that we get them all on our sat service.

It is common to distainfully downplay the intelligence and skill level of the Bubbas in NASCAR, but the people who rise to the top in any of these sports are all blessed with exceptional focus, reactions, talent desire and access to the training and experienced needed. In MotoGP it appears one must also be 5 feet tall and weigh about 100 pounds.

"In MotoGP it appears one must also be 5 feet tall and weigh about 100 pounds."

Which is why I'm surprised Danica Patrick didn't go there ? At least try ....I believe those are exactly her stats?

It seems like some of the greats had a start in go-carts. Here in the Northeast, especially Mass, there isn't many places for real go-cart racing. Some time back, a friend of mine had some racing go carts and an "in" at a place to run them. Doing 70mph about 2.5" off the ground was really weird. I can see how being brought up doing that kind of driving would be a big plus.
I mentioned Carl Edwards earlier, the guy does a back-flip off the car door when he wins.......after sitting for 500 miles- WoW!
OM

"I mentioned Carl Edwards earlier, the guy does a back-flip off the car door when he wins.......after sitting for 500 miles- WoW!"

Yeah .........I can barely get outta my chair.....:banghead

I always watch if I'm in the house or it's on late. Cadillacs leading at Daytona now. NASCAR had to change with the times. Loved the old days when they actually took real cars, cobbled them up according to cobbled up rules, cheating allowed, then fought it out banging away with big sedans and after the race and a few beer. Safety for the drivers and fairness of machinery has made it seem boring today. I'm sure, however, if any of us got in the passenger side of even a ten year old bucket and got taken around the oval by a past ranked driver, we would appreciate the insanity/skill of racing NASCAR at speed.

Back