• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RTP Trunk...

I'm not a trunk fan really...but they do serve a purpose . A few recent photos posted of the stock RTP w/trunk I realized that , that trunk might be a good size . Unlike so many others , it does not stick up so high & IMO ruin the rear half appearance . Yet could easily have ?? strapped to the top in a pinch / when needed. As it is not 'styled' or 'rounded', 'sloped' at the lid. Anyone know the capacity of it alone ? Is it anywhere near roomy on it's own ?

I'm not a trunk fan really...but they do serve a purpose . A few recent photos posted of the stock RTP w/trunk I realized that , that trunk might be a good size . Unlike so many others , it does not stick up so high & IMO ruin the rear half appearance . Yet could easily have ?? strapped to the top in a pinch / when needed. As it is not 'styled' or 'rounded', 'sloped' at the lid. Anyone know the capacity of it alone ? Is it anywhere near roomy on it's own ?

It was designed and equipped as a radio box. I have not carefully examined a late model boxer RTP but do have a K75RTP. After I took the mounting plate for the radio(s) out it is quite roomy. Odd shaped, but not small. The kicker is that every RTP (Rxxxx or Kxxx) I have seen has a solo seat.

Usable space in the box is approx. 14" long, 13" wide and 6" high. The width tapers inward toward the rear. The 6" measurement is to the baseplate, which might be removed for more space. The 14" measurement is from the front of the box to within 1/2" of the latch mechanism. There is some additional space on either side of the latch mechanism. I usually pack soft, light stuff in the radio box. Eventually there will be ham radio gear under the baseplate and a cruise control module through the baseplate.

When I have camping gear along, it is packed in a couple of waterproof bags that are strapped longitudinally to the top of the side cases and are on either side of the radio box. The tipover bars on the rear of the RTP make ideal tie-points for the Rok straps to hold everything down. The City side cases are smallish, but are well protected by the tipover bars.

When I bought the bike in California and rode it to Utah I had a large sports duffel strapped across the top of the radio box and it was not confidence-inspiring.

Who needs more than one seat? Wifey has her own scoot.

"I hates it 'til I rides it!" :D

Are you looking to fit a RT-P trunk on something or are you looking to buy a RT-P? Of course, on a RT-P it takes the spot of the rear seat, but I imagine a RT-P box could be installed on just about any luggage rack behind a bike with a double seat.

My '03 RT-P- has aluminum strips on the top to handle something being stacked on top, and built-in tie down points on the front and rear faces of the lid.
So to your question about stacking, yes. I assume it's common to stack more gear on top for trips, or maybe the PD stacked a first aid bag or something for quick access.

Last edited:
Are you looking to fit a RT-P trunk on something or are you looking to buy a RT-P? Of course, on a RT-P it takes the spot of the rear seat, but I imagine a RT-P box could be installed on just about any luggage rack behind a bike with a double seat.

If you have a luggage rack or a bike with a solo seat there are several options that are not very tall that could be used. My two favorite candidates would be a Pelican case (pick your size) or a Jesse Luggage "Pizza Box."

The radio box isn't a self-contained unit and consequently would be impractical to mount anywhere other than where it is on an RTP. A quick look at the MaxBMW fiche, particularly #65_0445 and #65-0447 shows its construction and how it is attached to the rear frame of the motorcycle in lieu of the pillion seat.

https://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51765&rnd=12082016

I read some time back in another thread that it cost about $1000 for a kit to remove the radio box and replace it with a pillion seat assembly. I suspect the kit wouldn't be available any more, considering the age of these motorcycles.

Paul's suggestion of a Pelican box or Jesse pizza box (?) would be more practical for a regular RT.

ClassicVW, your aluminum strips and tie points are interesting, but weren't installed by BMW. The fiche shows no such accessories that I could see.

Cheers!
Tom

Last edited:
The radio box isn't a self-contained unit and consequently would be impractical to mount anywhere other than where it is on an RTP. A quick look at the MaxBMW fiche, particularly #65_0445 and #65-0447 shows its construction and how it is attached to the rear frame of the motorcycle in lieu of the pillion seat.

https://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51765&rnd=12082016

ClassicVW, your aluminum strips and tie points are interesting, but weren't installed by BMW. The fiche shows no such accessories that I could see.

Cheers!
Tom

Hi Tom, I suspected that the police dept installed those strips and tie downs in-house since I had not seen them before.
I tried to look up those part numbers you gave and thru your link and the search comes back 'not found'.

I do think a used radio box could be installed. Mine has a solid bottom. I know there's a level below that where wires are routed front to rear, I'm not sure if that lower section would pose a problem if you tried to remove the box.

-George

Hi George,

The link I posted works fine; the numbers I posted refer to the fiche diagrams down the left-hand side of the Max page, not part numbers.

On the Max page drag the dark gray slider down the column until you find the appropriate diagrams in section 65. Here are the diagrams without the related parts lists:

65_0445: https://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMid/B0002244.png?v=12082016 (Mounting parts of radio telephone box)

65_0447: https://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMid/B0002246.png?v=12082016 (radio telephone box)

You can see the support structure (item 9 on diagram 65_0447) under your solid bottom (item 8 on diagram 65_0047, called a base plate). Yes, there is some additional space under there, but it won't be water resistant and it is relatively inaccessible unless a large hole is cut in the base plate. Maybe a hinged door could be fitted.... hmmmm.... gonna consider that. Might be a good place for tools.... and a radio.

Certainly the pillion seat could be sacrificed to install a radio box, but there is more to it than meets the eye. Some of the tupperware is also unique to the RTP (item 10 on diagram 65_0447, for example).

Capiche? :)

I had all that stuff off the bike when I had it repainted last year. $$$$ :deal

Last edited:
FWIW if anyone is looking for this setup, I have a complete RT-P trunk (and other RT-P stuff) from a 2000 model. I'm in the middle of moving the shop and shipping used items isn't high on my priority list, but if someone is looking for one just keep bugging me until I respond.

Back