Thread: 03 K1200RS Halogen H3 options - high beam?

03 K1200RS Halogen H3 options - high beam?

An H3 LED is out - with the heat sink sticking out, no way to mount it on the existing socket. The question then is what's a really bright halogen solution that won't melt the tupperware? The wiring for the lamps is already upgraded with heavy wire and relays. Stock is 55W. My guess is 80W might be OK. In the true manner of "more is more", will 100W work without cooking things to death?
    Some people are wise. Some people are otherwise.

3 Red Bricks
    RB,

I assume that you were referring to your RS, so I added that to your title.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Given the expense of the headlight bucket on the RS/GT I don't think you want to go above 65w or so. You might get by with 80, but my bet is that even going that high runs the risk of damaging the bucket.

These bikes have a truly lousy design for the headlight. My experience has been that upgrading the low beam (HID) helps a little, but with the poor beam pattern from the stock bucket/lens messing with the high beam is just not worth it. You'd be better served with a good set of LED auxiliary lights. Have a look at http://ledrider.com for an affordable alternative.
    No vested interest, etc. etc.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    RB,

I assume that you were referring to your RS, so I added that to your title.
    [...]
    I would be greatly obliged if a) you talk to me first about changes, and b) place the bike type at the back of this title. My primary concern is how high wattage H3's work in any bike.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Given the expense of the headlight bucket on the RS/GT I don't think you want to go above 65w or so. You might get by with 80, but my bet is that even going that high runs the risk of damaging the bucket.

These bikes have a truly lousy design for the headlight. My experience has been that upgrading the low beam (HID) helps a little, but with the poor beam pattern from the stock bucket/lens messing with the high beam is just not worth it. You'd be better served with a good set of LED auxiliary lights. Have a look at http://ledrider.com for an affordable alternative.
    No vested interest, etc. etc.

Best,
    DG
    Up front: Auxiliary lights are not an option. I've had them on other bikes. I strongly dislike the shadowing (says zip about what's behind even slight rises), and dealing with mounting them was no fun. Further, carving up the tupperware is out - don't even ask. Finally, at least in PA, high beams and auxiliary lighting on-road is illegal. Get unlucky and "hello, LEO". No auxiliaries. Period.

Agreed the headlight system, lens and reflector, demonstrate less than the best of 90's technology. NTL, I view the poor lighting as a safety issue. Running effectively past the end of the lighting at night is asking for trouble.

I can find 65W H3's, although most seem to be sold in yellow, and far too many are offered on Alibaba, the Chinese eBay. I suspect these lamps are meant primarily as fog lamps, not headlight lamps.

Pulling all of the tupperware, just to have a two second peek at the back, is something I want to avoid. I'll try to get a magnetic probe into the front end, but even that's a challenge. It's about the same as changing vertical aiming.

What would be really nice is to hear how well 80W or high H3's worked in any BMW headlight from the brick class of bikes.