• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stalling After Filling Up

Frank H. Wu
Greetings. Haven't been riding in some time (no excuses, just haven't been), but I plan to do much more once it warms up once again. I have a question from this past summer, when I last took a long trip (Washington, D.C., to Detroit). Every time I filled the gas tank, I immediately stalled. I pulled out of the filling station fine, turned, and at the next light stopped -- once the light turned, there was a hiccup and then the engine was dead. This happened twice. I'm an experienced enough rider that I don't usually stall, and I can't remember ever having this problem before.

It was a hot day (95 degrees or more) if that matters. Anyone else had this experience and/or know of the remedy?

--
Frank H. Wu
2002 K1200RS

Last edited:
KBasa said:
Is your tank vent plugged?

Do you still have the charcoal cannister installed? If you overfill the tank, the cannister has been known to fill with fuel (rather than vapors) and cause various problems with running. Remove the cannister and set it in a can upside down just to see if fuel comes out.

100658 said:
Hmm. How would I know?

Frank
Slowly open the fuel cap and if you hear a sucking sound (South?) you might have a vent line plugged or pinched.
I have a question. When you fill the tank, are you filling it to as full as you can possibly get it?
Bruce C

How long before it will restart. I ask this because on hot days riding in town my K100RS would sometimes experience vapor lock, after a very short stop. Engine temperature increases when first turned off and boils the fuel in the fuel rail. Normally it would start but not run above idle until it was left to cool, usually 20 min. or so.

No such problem with the K12 as of yet.

Tim

Stalling after Fill Up.

I too have had this problem. I found it happens whem I fill the tank all the way to the top and the fuel has no room to expand. If I open the tank it will release the presure and stop the stalling. If the fuel evoperator sytem is set up like a car it will not vent untill there is only 3/4 of a tank. If it did vent the charcoal canister would load up with fuel. So the tank does not vent but builds up presurer, which must cause a problem with the fuel injection.

The cure I found is leave some room for the fuel to expand.

Furman
2002 K1200RS

(I can't spell that is why I am a mechix)

When I picked up my R11S a few years ago, the guy giving me the orientation on the bike recommended that I leave about a half inch below the bottom of the filler neck for expansion and venting.

Not sure how that works with a Kbike.

KBasa said:
When I picked up my R11S a few years ago, the guy giving me the orientation on the bike recommended that I leave about a half inch below the bottom of the filler neck for expansion and venting.

Should be setup the same way - BMW tends to do things consistantly. However, I always fill my K12RS to the bottom of the "ring" and have ridden in some very (way too) hot conditions and have never had a stalling problem.

Thanks. I appreciate the many responses.

I'm definitely overfilling the tank. That explains it.

Can't wait for it to warm up!

KBasa said:

same thing was told to me by both the BMW salesman and the lead mechanic at Bloodworth BMW here in Nashville. Both warned me not to top off the bike or get fuel into the charcoal canister. Leaving a skosh of space between the tank/top drops the mileage by around 10 miles, so they said. Hell, with 250-275 range, compared to my old Vulcan's 100 mile range, i can give up 10 miles without whining too much.

Back