• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Michelin Pilot Road size issues

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Tried to order some PR3's or PR4's in a 170/60-17 size today. All I could locate with several usual suspects were the PR 4 GT.

I tried to call Michelin US, but missed the eastern time zone closing. Sent an email with inquiry of the other variations and will share answer.

The GT is a bit overkill from it's design selling points for a R 1150 R single rider who is not a large added weight:whistle. May be the only choice in Michelin PR's ( preferred brand for us) however, after talking to RevZilla as well. Just higher price point than in the past on other in the series. Kind of like trying to find the 160/60- 18's for the 1100R at times.
A longer tire life would not be a bad thing if that is a side result.:dunno But on this bike, she usually gets good results anyways compared to me.

A quick reply. Guess it's PR 4 GT for the rear tire.

----------------------------------------------------------

We appreciate your interest on our Michelin products and the opportunity that you have given us to answer your questions today. Unfortunately, in the 170/60ZR17 (72W) tire sizing the only two tires available would be the Pilot Road 4 GT and the Pilot Power 2CT. The Pilot Power 2CT of course being designed with dual compound technology meant for exceptional wet and dry grip. At the moment we have no further information on any releases for tiers with those specifications. You may keep updated on our site for any future announcements or releases. We apologize about the inconvenience. Have a great rest of your day.

We hope that your issue has been resolved or addressed to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 866-866-6605 (toll-free) between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. EST Monday through Friday or between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. EST on Saturday.

Sincerely,
Bryan
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

Get the Michelin PR 4 Trails. They come in the sizes necessary for the GS.

I'm getting a pair of these tires installed this week.

Get the Michelin PR 4 Trails. They come in the sizes necessary for the GS.

I'm getting a pair of these tires installed this week.

These are for a Roadster, have used the Trails on my GSA for a long road trip before...do fine until you forget you have them mounted and try to go where a bit more agressive tread is needed...then the fun begins :dance

Ahhh. Sorry. I only paid attention to the size you listed. My GS rear is the same size.

While I'd like to do more off-roading... it's not going to happen for me anytime soon so I picked the PR4 Trails. I probably had 20 miles on hard packed gravel roads out of 10K.

I just mounted a PR4GT in that size on the 17" wheel we have for Voni's R1100RS. It came with an 18" wheel but the 18" tires are a bit hard to find if on the road. So we run the 17 incher while traveling. For the curious, the 17" wheel off a 1998 K1200RS is a direct bolt-on, except the bolt lengths are 5mm different. The K1200RS wheel uses 55mm bolts and the R1100RS wheel uses 60mm bolts. So I have two sets of bolts and keep each set with the correct wheel. paint coded to avoid mistakes, of course. :)

Ahhh. Sorry. I only paid attention to the size you listed. My GS rear is the same size.

While I'd like to do more off-roading... it's not going to happen for me anytime soon so I picked the PR4 Trails. I probably had 20 miles on hard packed gravel roads out of 10K.

I liked the Trails for pure paved road running and light gravel ,kept me more aware of road choices on "shortcuts" and roads to campsites when H had PR4's on her 12R also...and the peace. Saying "all good" when I have better grip can get me chatted to :fight

And Paul, putting that info in my memory bank...good to know for the 1100R's 18 rear.:thumb

Back