• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Jump Start Battery pack for C650GT Scooter

apwilson54

Can Anyone Suggest a Jump start battery pack that has the accessory wire harness like a battery tender to jump start a scooter?

I have to park the scooter in a storage unit with no electric for a battery tender for a extended period of time.
In the event of a dead battery I would like to be able to easily start it.

I don't want to have to dismantle the battery cover panel and remove the battery and find a place to recharge it.

Does the scoot use a 12V battery like bikes? I've successfully jumped my bike with a borrowed Red Fuel Portable Jump Starter available from Walmart for around $50. However, this model doesn't have the SAE adapter used with most chargers and doesn't appear to have one available as an optional accessory.

I've heard good things about Weego, but I've never used one and it is twice the price of the Red Fuel.

Can Anyone Suggest a Jump start battery pack that has the accessory wire harness like a battery tender to jump start a scooter?

When using a jump start battery pack it would be best to connect it directly to the scooter battery terminals.
All the jump packs I have seen have alligator clips for jump starting.

61hjC1wYuFL._SL1000_.jpg

I have a couple of Anti-Gravity Micro Start units. Bought one and got another as a gift. I've started a few motorcycles and my pick-up a dozen or more times as I sorted out a battery issue. They work well. The Anti-Gravity are pretty pricey, but when I bought mine they were one of the few available. I've seen other brands selling for half the price at Walmart and Costco, but I do not know how they perform.

As Lee said, best to go directly to the battery unless you have a harness that has wire of a heavy enough gauge to handle the jump start load. On my FJR I wired in a remote battery terminal so I could jump or be jumped without digging into the fairing. The remote terminal has a wire that is the same as the OEM battery leads.

I have to park the scooter in a storage unit with no electric for a battery tender for a extended period of time.

I don't want to have to dismantle the battery cover panel and remove the battery and find a place to recharge it.

Welcome to the forum!
It's good to see some activity in the scooter forum section.
I don't know the setup of your storage facility but a solar power trickle charger may work for you. They are not real powerful and therefore have wires that may be small enough to see the light of day.
Let us know how you make out.
Gary

Have not looked at a C series up close, but do they have the positive post remote connector handy like the F series do?

Can Anyone Suggest a Jump start battery pack that has the accessory wire harness like a battery tender to jump start a scooter?...
Do not try to jump start your vehicle using "accessory wire harness like a battery tender". A battery pack suitable for jump starting will fry those small gauge (typically 18 AWG) wires which at best will require replacement and at worst you might fry much more which can be quite costly. You need a 12 AWG cable at the minimum, preferably 10 AWG.

What I use on my RTW is the Micro-Start XP-1 lithium battery pack and I have their "Starting Harness" wired to the battery.
xp-1-ports-multi-function-device.jpg
xp1-xp3-xp5-clampless-starting-harness-accessory.jpg
There may be others available, but this is what I know and use.

Having said that, I would not recommend storing the scooter with the battery connected and no charger for anything over 1-2 months. It puts a significant strain on most types of batteries and noticeably reduces their lifespan. It would be far better to install a battery cut-off switch if you have the room somewhere, preferably marine grade like this one- https://www.waveinn.com/nautical-fishing/perko-main-battery-on-off/1289515/p

I keep a Anti-Gravity Micro Start XP-3 under the seat of mine. Never had to use it for bike, but I have started a couple cars with it. Only the 4 torx screws to remove if need to jump so haven't seen need to install external wires to jump. Can be used as backup to charge phones and other devices if needed so handy little battery.

I keep a XP-1 in my SUV as well. Able to start my wife's van with 3/4 charge no problem and much smaller than the larger commercial jumper packs.

As stated previously, best to not let battery run down if can be avoided as it shortens the life. Keep on Smart Battery charger like a Battery Tender if not going to be used for a longer period of time.

Just my 2bits

I know you said you don't want to remove battery but from experience I can tell you that your battery will last a lot longer if you take it out and put it on battery tender. Leaving it sitting there for months is just asking for trouble. I'm away from my rs sometimes a year or more. In the beginning I used to just unhook the cables and then try and revive it once I returned but found out that just sitting there uncharged somehow deteriorated the cells. I now have it on a tender and have no problems; it's ready to go once I put new gas and oil in and always starts up. I don't know about he carbs on your scooter but run them dry and put keeper of some sort in your fuel. Good luck.

Back