Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battery Replacement

Rob L

Battery Replacement

I recently purchased and installed this battery from batterymart.com. It is nearly identical to the OEM in my 2014 R1200RT. Battery terminals are the same and in the same place. Dimensions are the same. I think that this is a very good replacement for the original. AGM technology and 2 more AH than the stocker. $89.95 delivered to my door! They list it as YTX20CH-BS AGM http://www.batterymart.com/SEARCH.html?q=ytx20ch-bs

DSCF2543.jpg
    Don't take life too seriously, You won't get out alive!
    Rob

Thanks for the research.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Can't tell from looking at your photo - who's the manufacturer of your new battery?
    '20 R1250RT,
    Priors: '17 R1200GS, '16 R1200R, '14 R1200GS, '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5 (LWB).

Rob L
    Quote Originally Posted by sailorlite View Post
    Can't tell from looking at your photo - who's the manufacturer of your new battery?
    Follow the link, it says: USA made MOTOCROSS. I never heard of them, but I suspect that there are only a few actual mfgrs. and companies apply there own name to the battery.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rlitavecz View Post
    Follow the link, it says: USA made MOTOCROSS. I never heard of them, but I suspect that there are only a few actual mfgrs. and companies apply there own name to the battery.
    Looks like Yuasa makes it.

https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/mo...-battery-.html

Lee
    2022 R1250RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2016 R1200RS, 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Rob L
    Yuasa......That's a good thing! I know a lot of people have been searching for a replacement for their liquid cool RT's battery now that they are closing in on 3 years old. The OEM is $180 dollars so this is a nice alternative. I feared that my battery was failing when it left me needing a jump in Colorado last May. It limped through the summer with some almost no starts. Last month it failed to start after being on my BMW charger for 3 weeks. I found this battery and replaced the original. When I removed the original from the bike, I found a loose + terminal! That was most likely the problem. I already had the new battery, so I installed it. SO, if you are having problems similar to mine, you may want to check that + terminal! It is a pita to check because you need to remove the neg. cable and then slide the battery almost all of the way out to access the + terminal.
    Rob

Seen a lot of Yuasa stickers on recent models as OEM supplied...pointed it out to a GSAW owner last week as he said BMW made his
    It was Exide years back and they were absorbed/renamed into the Yuasa parent company

Anyways, a good buy
    Steve Henson-Mod Team

No one gets out alive, Live accordingly!

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Seen a lot of Yuasa stickers on recent models as OEM supplied...pointed it out to a GSAW owner last week as he said BMW made his
    Never ceases to amaze me how many folks think that because it has a BMW label or part number that it is actually made by BMW. Like virtually all manufacturers BMW makes only a small fraction of the total number of parts for their products. Yes, they make the chassis / frames / etc., but not many of the overall parts. They identify the specs that they want, send out a request for proposals (RFP) and identify who the best match will be. Many manufacturers from many countries supply their parts to BMW and all others to create the finished products.

I ran across someone years ago who was convinced that the had to by nuts and bolts from the BMW Dealership because they would be BMW made and therefore better!
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS
    Current: 2019 R1250RT/'06 Ducati ST3s/'06 Vespa GTS 250ie/'91 R100GS/'86 R80RT/'83 R100RS/'76 R90/6/'75 R90S/'73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT/'04 R1150RT/'81 Honda GL1100/'77 Suzuki GS750/'73 Norton 850 Commando

Rob L
    So....Alan, you do not buy BMW tires?
    Rob

You got it Rob, but not always. ;-)

I try to look at everything that's available and pick what I think is the best for my needs which isn't always an OE or OEM product. Once and a while it is but not most of the time.

However, my RTW still has the OE (BMW) Z8 tires on it so I guess I do with it, and I'm liking all the info I've been able to gather on the new Metzeler RoadTec 01 tires so I'll likely go to those when the Z8s need replacing. I've sold my 04 R1150RT last summer with PR4s on it and liked them about the same as the Z8 so with the 01 being a noticeable improvement over the Z8 my thinking is I'll be quite happy. I've got a set of BT30s on my Ducati and really like them, but it's hard to tell how much of that is the bike (and Olhins) vs tires, however, the testing too date has but the 01s out in front so that's likely where I'll go.

It's a bit like the horrendous oil threads that pop up occasionally. There's lots of speculation about "BMW" oil being so good, etc., etc., etc., but not one single thread that I've seen has ever even suggested that a BMW which has been run on top-tier non-BMW motorcycle oil, changed at factory intervals, has ever shown any premature wear. That being the case than I don't have any problems using a quality oil that will treat my bike in a manner so close to BMW oil that one can't tell the difference after 50,000 or 100,000 miles. I know others feel differently and that's what makes everything interesting.
    Current: 2019 R1250RT/'06 Ducati ST3s/'06 Vespa GTS 250ie/'91 R100GS/'86 R80RT/'83 R100RS/'76 R90/6/'75 R90S/'73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT/'04 R1150RT/'81 Honda GL1100/'77 Suzuki GS750/'73 Norton 850 Commando

Rob L
    I feel the same way and I protect my pocketbook! ( I love Shinko tires)
    Rob

Rally Rat
    Yuasa/Exide and Deka/East Penn are both located in SE PA and evolved from a common predeccesor. That being said, both companies offer domestic and off-shore products.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    May be good to use weight as part of the comparison. While it seems no-one want any extra weight on their bike, weight of the "same construction/style" battery can give some good info. I have been a fan of Dekka batteries for some time. They make CAT Batteries to CAT specs (heavier) and are among the best.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Rally Rat
    Both Yuasa and Deka appear to offer a range of CCA-rated batteries within a given size. The battery shown in the OP appears to be the highest CCA-rating for a Yuasa product based on the model number.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    May be good to use weight as part of the comparison. While it seems no-one want any extra weight on their bike, weight of the "same construction/style" battery can give some good info. I have been a fan of Dekka batteries for some time. They make CAT Batteries to CAT specs (heavier) and are among the best.
    OM
    Good point. I'm not very knowledgeable about batteries, but presuming that your understanding is the heavier they are the better, due to acid/plate content.