Thread: Crash Bars

Crash Bars

I'm looking into installing a set of crash bars on my 16 RT. Anyone have any recommendations? Are they a pain when it comes to doing valve work?

Welcome aboard. Check out www.iliumworks.com
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

ZTechnik & Heed also make them. I was hoping there would be more reviews on this forum Heed's price looks to good to be true and I know, you get what you pay for...

I like my Ztechniks. Went on fairly easily, look good. I like the built in mounting point for my LED lights too.

I used the Ilium bars, front and back.
    2014 R1200RT

Illium

I also have the Illium bars in front. Unfortunately, I've already tested them and they worked exactly the way they should. I also got the highway pegs. Both were easy to install. Illium has great customer service.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT, gone
    2014 R1200RTW, GREAT

Quote Originally Posted by bentkayne View Post
    I'm looking into installing a set of crash bars on my 16 RT. Anyone have any recommendations? Are they a pain when it comes to doing valve work?
    I wanted chrome and Illium only offered powder coated, so I went with Wunderlich http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...80101-103.html Went on easy, look good - presume they work (haven't had to find out yet) I also got the rear protection bars too http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...50101-103.html

I haven't done the valve clearance check myself yet (still under warranty), but my mechanic hasn't complained about them being in the way.
    Bob
    2014 R1200RT

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Jeff Dean's page on his RTW discusses crash bars. I've found his observations helpful, perhaps they might be helpful to you as well.
    http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Quote Originally Posted by jaflowers View Post
    I like my Ztechniks. Went on fairly easily, look good. I like the built in mounting point for my LED lights too.
    This. Mine look good, easy install, shouldn't have to be removed for servicing. Win-win-win.

Crash Bars

I've installed the crash bars from Iliumworks.com on my wifes 2015 RT and have had no problems with service. check out their video of them dropping the bike. their stuff is expensive but not as much as replacement parts. I also have the bar backs, highway pegs and kickstand foot enlarger. I'll be getting the same gear for my 2016 RT this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by bentkayne View Post
    I have the BMW on the valves covers and Ilium for the bags.