• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Impact of Low Suspension on GS handling

Don't know if the factory-lowered GS is different than a factory-lowered GSA, but on my '15 GS Adventure, which is factory-lowered, there is no difference in the seat/peg relationship between the regular suspension GSA, and the lowered GSA. Also the lowered GSA comes with a regular GSA seat, not a low seat.

Perfect!

Don't know if the factory-lowered GS is different than a factory-lowered GSA, but on my '15 GS Adventure, which is factory-lowered, there is no difference in the seat/peg relationship between the regular suspension GSA, and the lowered GSA. Also the lowered GSA comes with a regular GSA seat, not a low seat.

That's good point which I hadn't considered! The lowered suspension shouldn't affect the relative foot peg position. However the seat position will!

Lower Suspension Has No Major Effect On Street Handling

I'm considering a new 1200GS. With a 31" inseam, I "fit" on a standard height suspension, but find the bike generally 'tall' and a bit top heavy...especially coming off the side stand. My primary concern is how handling is affected by a factory-lowered suspension. I should confess that I am an exclusive road rider and have few to NO plans to ever take this bike off road or the dirt. (I know, I know.) Can anyone share their experiences with a factory-lowered suspension: Pros? Cons?

May I suggest you do a test ride on both low and normal suspension GS/GSAs? I think you'll find that the engineers at BMW did an excellent job of making the feedback to the rider from the low and normally suspended R1200GS and GSAw quite uniform. I don't ride much off road because everyone I know without exception who rides off road has broken one or more bones doing so. We do 90% street and some fire break and forest service roads and I can't tell any major difference between low and normal suspension under those mild conditions. My wife and I have about 55K miles on our 2015 low suspension GSAw's (she has her own) but we started with normally suspended GS's.

Having written that, I've talked to guys who ride almost exclusively off road and they ride hard! Most of them say that they prefer the height of the normal suspension mainly because they push the suspension to the max. Also, they really don't care if they can get both feet flat on the ground, or not.

Pros: For street riding you can probably get both your feet down at your inseam with low suspension giving you more stopped stability at, for example, oily intersections and pea-gravel shoulder stops. If you want slightly bent knees when you stop, consider purchasing a low seat from the usual people who make great GS/GSA custom seats. We use Corbin in Hostile (Hollister) CA, but there are other makers who are superb.

Cons: Going off road where more height is desireable than on the street, the suspension won't have the reactive range needed for rough terrain.

Generally: The handling difference between low and normal suspension is not remarkable when street riding. Some folks feel that the lower kickstand that comes with low suspension is still a bit too long and they reduce it's length by 0.5", or so, or they purchase an aftermarket adjustable kickstand.

The foregoing is my opinion. It's always best to make your own tests and form your own ideas of what works best for you. Ride Well!

Last edited:
Heavy off the side stand...

I'm considering a new 1200GS. With a 31" inseam, I "fit" on a standard height suspension, but find the bike generally 'tall' and a bit top heavy...especially coming off the side stand. My primary concern is how handling is affected by a factory-lowered suspension. I should confess that I am an exclusive road rider and have few to NO plans to ever take this bike off road or the dirt. (I know, I know.) Can anyone share their experiences with a factory-lowered suspension: Pros? Cons?

Try turning the handlebars all the way to the right, then lifting the motor off its sidestand. It really helps reduce felt weight.

Usually a lowered bike will have a lower maximum load carrying capacity. This could be an important concern for two up touring.

Usually a lowered bike, with its accompanying shorter suspension travel, will "handle" slightly better in rapid twisties. The suspension will transition slightly quicker between fully set in one direction to fully set in the other. Depending on riding style, the difference may not even be noticeable and would not be worth worrying about.

Given the same rider load, a longer suspension travel (non lowered) should give a slightly more compliant (smoother) ride.

The load carrying capacity is your biggest concern. If it meets your needs, you should have no problems with the factory lowered suspension.

As previously stated, foot (peg) to butt distance, in the riding position, is controlled by what seat is fitted to the bike. A low seat also helps in the butt to ground distance.

:dance:dance:dance

Think you can count on BMW having engineered the lower model pretty well--surely to the point you'll have no worries.

The most surprising thing about the R1200GS is just that - it is such a surprise.

My wife and I both have a 2015 R1200GS. My bike is standard suspension and standard seat, her's is lowered suspension and standard seat.
I was coming off and R1200R and she from an F800R.

The fact is, for a shorter rider with less brute strength (male or female) the R1200GS and particularly the GSA, are noticeably bigger bikes, and when you need to push them around, park them, or do the everyday maneuvering we all do at traffic lights and car parks, they can be challenging (sometimes more psychologically than physically).
However, we ride together most of the time, so when it is required, I help out with the heavy lifting. Not because my wife can't, but because it's a little easier. And that's what life is all about. Don't make it harder unnecessarily.

But back to my first point about being surprised.
Until you ride a GS you really can't imagine just how universal and chameleon like these bikes are. We thought we were branching off into the "off-road" or "off paved road" experience, and no doubt these look and act the part off-road, but the surprising and quite honestly amazing thing about the GS is how it behaves as a sports bike, long haul tourer and urban machine. Not dedicated to any one niche and not at the bleeding edge of any either, it will certainly outstrip most peoples skill levels in all of them and empower you with a super capable and smile inducing ride experience.

If you can only own one bike, this may just be the one. It is for us.

Well said there from the southern hemisphere:wave

H has ridden a few lowered GS's, BMW's version or with lowered shocks and my GSA once or twice with a low seat... she still likes the minimalist Roadsters better, but wouldn't shy away from a 12 GS.

And on occasion, sometimes without being asked will move her bikes to wherever she wants me to:ha...or a good push back...all good as I too have needed a push back on occasion and not afraid to ask:love

Well said there from the southern hemisphere:wave

H has ridden a few lowered GS's, BMW's version or with lowered shocks and my GSA once or twice with a low seat... she still likes the minimalist Roadsters better, but wouldn't shy away from a 12 GS.

And on occasion, sometimes without being asked will move her bikes to wherever she wants me to:ha...or a good push back...all good as I too have needed a push back on occasion and not afraid to ask:love

...like that Ready Kilowatt avatar.

I know the topic is more likely regarding the "big"GS, but my G650GS is factory lowered AND has a Kouba link also, which drops it again approx. 3/4". All my bikes need lowering and I find that if the bike comes from the factory lowered, and as long as you don't just get too crazy with a little more, it will handle flawlessly, and I do ride aggressively at times. Now, I have had other brands that have been lowered, and this wasn't the case. Paul is tall enough and has enough strength to ride anything he wishes, but he too prefers the minimalist Roadsters.
I am so envious of H being able to even think about a 12 GS, as this would be my bike of choice...if only. It should be against the law :laugh.

If you can only own one bike, this may just be the one. It is for us.

I can only own one bike because my mudroom has space for only one bike, and it is a 2015 R1200GS.

I agree with your assessment of the bike.

I am 6'4" tall with a 36" inseam and I have the tall seat mounted on my GS.

Harry

GS Adventure

Plain and very simple.

I own a R1200GS Adventure. It has lowered suspension from the factory. Two words. It rocks!

I have rode with standard suspension, and being 5'8'' I found it sometime scary.

As for handling, no difference. Seriously. Try it and you will see for yourself, that it is incredible!

I drive off road as well as on road. Again, try it and ENJOY...

Low Suspension and its impact on handling

I have both a '14 R1200GSW-low and a '16 R1200RTW-low. I also have a 28" inseam. The only problem I have with either bike is reaching the sidestand when the bike is parked on any surface that isn't flat. So what I did in both cases was extend the little bar that helps you to lift the sidestand from a parked position. I also put custom seats on both bikes for better comfort and to lessen the distance BMW calls "reach" (I believe). If you would like to see what I did, private message me and I'll send you more information and pictures.

BTW here is the BMW Guide for seat heights:
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/equipment/seathight_conf/seats_config.html

Take it with a grain of salt -- if I were to use it the only bike it would recommend for me is the lowered F700GS and I think after riding for 30+ years I know myself better!!!

The way I saw it, the rider geometry of the bike is the same whether you get the LOW or STANDARD. Changing out the seat height should not matter to rider geometry as the settings are the same on both bikes. Like most have already pointed out the lower center of gravity is a nice benefit. I got the LOW and while I do go off roading I know my limits and I am not going to take a ~570 pound bike over large boulders and fallen trees.

The way I saw it, the rider geometry of the bike is the same whether you get the LOW or STANDARD. Changing out the seat height should not matter to rider geometry as the settings are the same on both bikes. Like most have already pointed out the lower center of gravity is a nice benefit. I got the LOW and while I do go off roading I know my limits and I am not going to take a ~570 pound bike over large boulders and fallen trees.

Exactly..... True that!! 29,000 miles on my Low..... never regretted:thumb it... amazing machine.... rides like it was built for me....

Just picked up and rode 500km on my '17 factory lowered GSA. Perfect for me and I'm 5'9". Handles great on the roads, I was using Rain and Road mode, also 1 rider and luggage for suspension, and also tried Normal and Soft modes... didn't go to Hard or Dynamic yet.

Obviously preliminary reports, but can't get too crazy on the break in runs... However as they say, get the bike you want.

I agree with everything Mark H said in post #28. We too have factory-lowered suspension '15 R1200 GS bikes (we are 5'4" and 5'6") and have now been riding them, since new, around the UK, Europe and the US with no problems whatsoever. My in-seam is 27" and my feet are flat on the ground when the bike is fully loaded. We are in our 60s and the weight of the bikes can be an issue, particularly for me, but Don helps when needed or when I'm humble enough to ask (pride does get in the way sometimes). But the reality is, I'm not very strong, and I do need help now and then. That psychological 'moment' can happen when parking on uneven surfaces, which I generally manage to avoid by choosing very carefully where to stop. Also, when the bikes need to be pushed around in tight circumstances it is better to have two people 'on the job' rather than one.
We see the bikes as armchairs that are carrying us very comfortably around the world in our retirement. They deal with all sorts of road surfaces, have plenty of power, and tons of comfort. Each bike has two panniers and one top box and other sundry items, and handling has not been affected.
Well, that's our 'two-bobs worth'.
Happy riding! Hope to see you somewhere on the road riding whatever suits you best.
Susan and Don

Im vertically challenged!!

My wife has a 2016 R1200GSA lowered and she absolutely loves it. She rode a 2010 G650GS and a 2004 1150RT before and she says the handling of her 1200GSA is way, way better than either of those bikes. She says it is balanced better. She can rip through the corners with the best of them. Last summer she completed a 1,700 mile trip with 500 miles of mud/gravel/dirt on this bike and did absolutely great. She only dropped it once and then it was in the middle of Vancouver, BC at a stoplight in rush hour. She was hot, tired and exhausted from a long day of riding. She's 5'7". She can flat foot standing the bike. Not sure what her inseam is. If interested, PM me and I can get you her email address for any questions you might have.

Im 5'7" as well, looking at a 2016 normal ride height to purchase, no low suspensions available. What did ur wife do to flat foot on her 1200 GS. Did she change out seat, modification(s) etc. I am new to the forums so I do not know how to pm. Thanks in advance!

Back