• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Impact of Low Suspension on GS handling

bluebeemermary

I'm considering a new 1200GS. With a 31" inseam, I "fit" on a standard height suspension, but find the bike generally 'tall' and a bit top heavy...especially coming off the side stand. My primary concern is how handling is affected by a factory-lowered suspension. I should confess that I am an exclusive road rider and have few to NO plans to ever take this bike off road or the dirt. (I know, I know.) Can anyone share their experiences with a factory-lowered suspension: Pros? Cons?

I also have a 31" inseam and about 3-1/2 months ago, bought a '16 R1200GS Adventure with the lowered seat/suspension. I have no issues with the height and actually ride with the seat in the higher position. Adjusting the suspension from solo to solo w/bags to 2-up will put the bike higher off the road. I'm about 205 lbs, ride with the aluminum panniers (empty) on all the time and set the suspension to solo. At a stop, I'm just about flat footed. I came from a K1300S and while the GSA handles differently, I find it's actually lighter in maneuvering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While inseam appropriate height/handling is a major factor, so too is seat to peg distance. Be sure whatever seat height you end up satisfied with, also provides acceptable leg comfort for those "longer" rides. Assume potential to bottom out sooner comes with lower suspension, but as you say, you'll be staying on road so that should be minimal.

My wife has a 2016 R1200GSA lowered and she absolutely loves it. She rode a 2010 G650GS and a 2004 1150RT before and she says the handling of her 1200GSA is way, way better than either of those bikes. She says it is balanced better. She can rip through the corners with the best of them. Last summer she completed a 1,700 mile trip with 500 miles of mud/gravel/dirt on this bike and did absolutely great. She only dropped it once and then it was in the middle of Vancouver, BC at a stoplight in rush hour. She was hot, tired and exhausted from a long day of riding. She's 5'7". She can flat foot standing the bike. Not sure what her inseam is. If interested, PM me and I can get you her email address for any questions you might have.

Handling is excellent - no complaints whatsoever. Lower COG is definitely a factor affecting handling. The shocks and springs are appropriately designed for the application. I would imagine the low suspension firms up faster in the compression stroke (compared to the 'tall' suspension) on the same settings but both are probably going to bottom out at the same height. 40k miles on low 1200 GS's and nary a bottom out or scraped hard part from dragging in the corners. Mostly pavement with a mix of forest roads and good dirt occasionally. I love the GS because of the ergonomics and handling. Buy the one that fits you best.

I am an exclusive road rider and have few to NO plans to ever take this bike off road or the dirt.

Another vote for the R1200R since you plan to stay on pavement. The R1200R weighs less and is 2.4 inches lower. The base price of the R is $2,400 cheaper than the GS.

First off, as a bit of an aside, buy the bike you want, not what others say you should want. Just over a year ago, I bought a factory-lowered 1200 GS Adventure. I've got 12,000 miles on it, and I've had absolutely zero issues, or concerns, with the suspension and how it performs in the twisties (or anywhere else, for that matter). I'm 5'8", and weigh about 170+. I always have the BMW aluminum panniers and topcase mounted when I ride. I bought it as a road bike (to replace my '06 RT), so most of the time I'm on pavement. When I venture off the pavement, it's fire roads, and hard-packed dirt. This past summer I rode from D.C. to Montana and back, spending lots of time on twisty mountain roads. I wouldn't hesitate to engage in "spirited" riding on any sort of road.

Last edited:
My advice: get a 1200R and be happy. Get a 1200GS, look cool, and be unhappy.

Another vote for the R1200R.
Also note the R1200R "may" have more suspension travel than a lowered GS...check the specs out

But as one of the post said.....Get what makes you happy

Roadster 5.5" / 5.5" GSW Low 6.3" / 6.7" GSW 7.5" / 7.9"

Last edited:
2017 BMW F700 GS Lowered

I'm considering a new 1200GS. With a 31" inseam, I "fit" on a standard height suspension, but find the bike generally 'tall' and a bit top heavy...especially coming off the side stand. My primary concern is how handling is affected by a factory-lowered suspension. I should confess that I am an exclusive road rider and have few to NO plans to ever take this bike off road or the dirt. (I know, I know.) Can anyone share their experiences with a factory-lowered suspension: Pros? Cons?

I had my bike 2017 BMW F700 GS lowered. BMW in Woodlands, TX lowered it. They sent for a lowering kit that came from Germany. I have a 35' RV with a hydraulic lift which holds 1,000 pounds with ease. (2 bikes) the lift goes to the ground for loading and unloading bike. I have rode all over Terlinqua, TX, Big Bend, 212, etc. I am 5' 118 pounds and wear boots. My feet hit the ground firmly. BMW woodlands did an excellent job getting this bike ready. I have not had any problems with gear shift or anything else for that matter. In my opinion this motorcycle is well balanced, ride is smooth. Perfect bike for any woman. The bike is heavy had to pick her up. I was riding in sand and dropped it. I was able to get the bike up with little or no struggling. I would suggest going to a BMW dealer and talking to them. Sit on one see how much you would have to have lowered. Please forgive me, but I have heard a lot of rants about lowering suspension. Again no problems at all. So smooth I love this motorcycle. Please gear up I wear Kelvar leggings which are very comfortable and look good not heavy and hard to ride in. you can go to GoGo.com look up Kelvar leggings and jacket. Believe me they are great. A lot of people told me not to buy a GS, but I'm a LEO when you tell me I can't do it I will show you I can. Only you know what you can handle. I'm single and make my own decisions. Buy what you want you will regret if you listen to others. My daddy use to say no guts no glory.. I am so happy with my bike which can be seen on my profile. BMW F700 GS white and red. Thank you Woodland service and sales for all the hard work. Couldn't be happier Carol Lynch PS I have nothing to do with GoGo.com I just buy their leggings. This is an honest review. I paid cash for my bike upfront and yes it is costly. You will never need another bike. Get what you want! If you buy leggings go one side up I wear a 2 but bought a 4. They fit great! Good luck Sassy17

2017 BMW F700 GS Lowered

I had my bike 2017 BMW F700 GS lowered. BMW in Woodlands, TX lowered it. They sent for a lowering kit that came from Germany. I have a 35' RV with a hydraulic lift which holds 1,000 pounds with ease. (2 bikes) the lift goes to the ground for loading and unloading bike. I have rode all over Terlinqua, TX, Big Bend, 212, etc. I am 5' 118 pounds and wear boots. My feet hit the ground firmly. BMW woodlands did an excellent job getting this bike ready. I have not had any problems with gear shift or anything else for that matter. In my opinion this motorcycle is well balanced, ride is smooth. Perfect bike for any woman. The bike is heavy had to pick her up. I was riding in sand and dropped it. I was able to get the bike up with little or no struggling. I would suggest going to a BMW dealer and talking to them. Sit on one see how much you would have to have lowered. Please forgive me, but I have heard a lot of rants about lowering suspension. Again no problems at all. So smooth I love this motorcycle. Please gear up I wear Kelvar leggings which are very comfortable and look good not heavy and hard to ride in. you can go to GoGo.com look up Kelvar leggings and jacket. Believe me they are great. A lot of people told me not to buy a GS, but I'm a LEO when you tell me I can't do it I will show you I can. Only you know what you can handle. I'm single and make my own decisions. Buy what you want you will regret if you listen to others. My daddy use to say no guts no glory.. I am so happy with my bike which can be seen on my profile. BMW F700 GS white and red. Thank you Woodland service and sales for all the hard work. Couldn't be happier Carol Lynch PS I have nothing to do with GoGo.com I just buy their leggings. This is an honest review. I paid cash for my bike upfront and yes it is costly. You will never need another bike. Get what you want! If you buy leggings go one side up I wear a 2 but bought a 4. They fit great! Good luck Sassy17
Buy BMW great bike

handling the F700 GS

Handling is excellent - no complaints whatsoever. Lower COG is definitely a factor affecting handling. The shocks and springs are appropriately designed for the application. I would imagine the low suspension firms up faster in the compression stroke (compared to the 'tall' suspension) on the same settings but both are probably going to bottom out at the same height. 40k miles on low 1200 GS's and nary a bottom out or scraped hard part from dragging in the corners. Mostly pavement with a mix of forest roads and good dirt occasionally. I love the GS because of the ergonomics and handling. Buy the one that fits you best.

I wonder why maybe because I'm small don't weigh enough to matter. My suspension lowering kit wasn't factory. You can check with the dealership it was made for my bike height and weight. I'm not having any handling problems. She turns on a dime and gives you 9 cents change on road and off road on rocks, dirt, sand might be an issue for me. I will learn to ride in sand! This is a 2017 maybe things are different. My suspension doesn't look like the factory it came with. Mine is blue shorter and a lot wider. I don't know anything about bikes. I own 4 bikes, 650 shadow, 250 rebel, CSC 250 GS which I hate the handling for me is awful. I couldn't get comfortable riding it. Now their is my baby 2017 BMW F700 so perfect feel like I have been riding her all my life. Selling the rest of my bikes keeping only her. You guys and ladies know a lot more than me about bikes. I just know what I like. Sorry if I offended anyone. Sassy17 I have a 2016 Z06 corvette with a lot of power. She handles great also. I just know what I like. How they feel when driving and riding. Just my opinion... You can see my car on Facebook carol lynch Beautiful Corvette, so need to find riders to ride with.live around willis - conroe tx

Ordered my bike in dec 2014- 2015 GSA model..factory lowered, with standard seat. (adjustable). Im 5'7- inseam about 30" . This was the best decision my dealer helped me with. And it fits me like a glove..... Handling is great... even off road.. Very well balanced, with both feet flat on the ground at stop lights. 28,000 miles on the GSA so far...

Not really sure how after market lowering kits would effect performance ... Go factory done... it wasn't that much more $$ .. then you
know its done right and works correctly.

Not comfortable and safe, if your on the tips of your toes.... . remember the seat is adjustable high or low to find that seat spot of a comfortable
safe, ride.

Off road, I feel I'm really in control (body control) and able to balance well , like my old mountain biking days...... Great bike !!!

Thank you,
Lowered 2015 GSA.

I have lowered 2016 R1200GS. I handles very well.

I have also sat on a lowered R1200R and I can hardly notice any difference in seat height between the two. In fact until I checked the specs I assumed they were the same height

The only concern I would have for you is that with a 31" inseam your legs might cramp up on a long ride with a lowered suspension. You may however be able to get lowered pegs if that's a problem.

In any event the R1200GS is a great bike and you won't be disappointed.

My '13 RT came with the lower sit and my knees couldn't take it on long rides so I got the standard sit. I went from sitting flat footed on the lower seat to the balls of my feet. Think about the whole sitting position from feet, arms, shoulders, to head.

I have lowered 2016 R1200GS. I handles very well.

...The only concern I would have for you is that with a 31" inseam your legs might cramp up on a long ride with a lowered suspension...

Don't know if the factory-lowered GS is different than a factory-lowered GSA, but on my '15 GS Adventure, which is factory-lowered, there is no difference in the seat/peg relationship between the regular suspension GSA, and the lowered GSA. Also the lowered GSA comes with a regular GSA seat, not a low seat.

Back