• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Impact of Low Suspension on GS handling

I'm considering a new 1200GS. With a 31" inseam, I "fit" on a standard height suspension, but find the bike generally 'tall' and a bit top heavy...especially coming off the side stand. My primary concern is how handling is affected by a factory-lowered suspension. I should confess that I am an exclusive road rider and have few to NO plans to ever take this bike off road or the dirt. (I know, I know.) Can anyone share their experiences with a factory-lowered suspension: Pros? Cons?

I'm 5-8, 209lbs. Probably a true 29" inseam. My wife is 5-4 115lbs. I rented and rode 2 up, a 1200GSA in the Italian Alps in 2018. The only issue I had was during mount and dismount of my wife, if she was not real careful to stay close to centerline. So, flash forward to 2020. I order a 1250GSA Low, thinking that would solve the minor issue, and not present and other real issues. Last week I'm doing a week in the NC, TN and North GA mountains, and riding two up, I'm scraping pegs a lot. I set the suspension in the highest setting on Dynamic. That solves about 90% of it, but I'm still dragging in extreme corners when two up. My buds never touch theirs down, and one has a pillion that is much heavier than my wife. Handling? I can't tell a major difference in "handling" but I have set the seat on the highest setting, and ride with my "low" suspension in Max/Dynamic. I wish I'd just bought the standard, and in fact, you can see my post just above here asking about replacing my suspension with a Wilbers standard height.

Bottom line: Don't buy a low suspension bike unless you simply cannot handle the bike at a standstill otherwise. When it's moving, you don't need it low to the ground. JMHO, YMMV.

Im 5'7" as well, looking at a 2016 normal ride height to purchase, no low suspensions available. What did ur wife do to flat foot on her 1200 GS. Did she change out seat, modification(s) etc. I am new to the forums so I do not know how to pm. Thanks in advance!

I'll sell you mine.

I am on my 5th GS Adventure. After a 2006 GS I switched to 2014 GSA, 2016 GSA, 2018 GSA, 2021 GSA and finally current 2022 GSA... I know, I know. I am crazy. Believe it or not between these bikes there was a 2014 RT, 2018RT, 2021RT and a 2021 GL1800 Tour DCT and few other bikes.

Aaaanyways... My all other GSA models were standard height and only on my current 2022 I went to Low Suspension route and I am glad I did...

Even though I am 6ft with 33 inseam and at 255 lbs, the older I get (64 now) my flexibility is not as it used to be 10-15 yrs ago.

As for the bike's handling it is much easier to control at lower speeds than the standard height GSA and also I feel more confident at the twisties with my current one. Good luck with whatever you choose...

Maybe mentioned prior, with DESA you can change it to low setting and, I think, it might stay there while riding (others please advise on this point). When at my local dealer looking at a used GS sales guy suggested doing that step and indeed it did feel lower while sitting on the bike (before I took it for a test ride).

ride safe

First off big decision, and Ill say what I tell everyone about what to ride ,is ride what you feel safe on period. in mhop the r and rt are pure road bikes , built for pavement and some gravel roads. the GS is the army knife. I've ridden both here and Europe on the road and I wish I had my RT in Europe. The GS can carve but is no R or RT on the Road. I've taken my 2016 on long trips and it is great. I'm about your hgt. and wgt. and have no problem with the bike. I'd think you would love the R or RT seeing your pavement guy, but again buy what you feel safe on.

Back