• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Niagara Falls to New York City

As most everybody suggested, will stop at a safe distance from the city,
preferably a known chain of motels, park the bikes and use public transportation.
Can anybody specify where is not to far, nor not far enough from the "jungle"
that the city is well known to be? A motel name/location is also much appreciated!
This is the first leg of our journey, and am already stuck without any specific plan. :banghead
I'd like to believe the rest will be less complicated :)

From Windsor to NY , Denver, Vegas and back to Windsor, ON.

Highly appreciate any help regarding our trip.
Back from a trip cut short of expectations.
We have fallowed the advise to rent a motel on the New Jersey side,
close to Hudson river. Was a great advise! Stopped at Howard Johnson in
N Bergen, a clean and fairly priced motel. Took the shuttle bus to NY for only
$14/person back and forth. I noticed only the fee to cross the tunnel was $30
per vehicle! And ohh my God, the traffic!! Not to mention the parking would
have been a nightmare! But all went smooth, with no problems. My friend managed
to take a bunch of pictures of the Big Apple. As far as I am concerned, that city is
a place where shame is outlawed, and I am sure will never go there again!
Didn't get to fallow my plan, as my German friend thought will never make it to the
west coast. So he asked to take the shortest way to Vegas, since he always wanted
to see that city.( he is a big city, high rises, eternal lights fan! Not me!) So we mist
the Appalachians, the Dragons Tails, and so much more. But the weather was not the
best, so we took of towards Denver. Denver area is great, couldn't admire more the
scenes. From there to Utah, and Zion national park was the best to see along the way.
And Vegas! My friend from Germany was trilled. and so was I, as soon as we left the city!
Hoover Dam, and Grand Canyon was next. As my friend had enough of riding, demanded
we turn our trip short and head home. A 15 day trip, over 9000 km or 5600 miles.
My friend and I were impressed by the friendliness of the people that we met along the trip.
Had no major issues, (other than the food that my friend found less than acceptable!) But
a major heat wave took a tool on us in Arizona and New Mexico. And when we got home,
(my home, Windsor, ON,) everything turned out to be so nice, clear skies and such, that made
me appreciate what a nice place I live in!!(two days later I changed my mind, Windsor is BOORING!!)

New York City

Probably late to this party but:

NYC is a terrain ride. You wouldn't go into mountain passes in January so don't go into NYC during high traffic hours. It is a magnificent city and easily accessible, if you do some planning. Many affordable options for a stay, in even Manhattan, exist. One of the best is Seafarers International on 14th St. near Union Square. Less than $100 a night, squeaky clean, run by the Lutheran Church for seafarers but you don't need to tell a fib or have a sea card to stay. Ask desk where you might stash your bike in a pay lot and I'm sure they can steer you right and for what you save on the room, a garage won't be but so bad. Walk from there and use Subway, Busses, etc.

Ride into town crack of dawn on Sunday morning, get settled and the city is your oyster. Leave crack of dawn, nearly any day of the week and have smooth sailing. Any heavy traffic at an early hour will be inbound.

Cheers (A Southern Boy)

As far as I am concerned, that city is
a place where shame is outlawed, and I am sure will never go there again!

I was raised in the South and have lived in the Islands for over 40 years but have made frequent visits to NYC. Anyplace there are 10-12 million souls, not everybody has time for you. That said, NYC is a place populated by every strain of human on the planet and no place have I ever met more kind, gentle and helpful people. You found it "shameful". Please fill in the blanks with what you encountered that qualified as shameful. You want potholes? Come visit the Islands. You want navigable traffic into and out of NYC? Take a fiver and make a plan. Sorry but I've got the Big Apple's back.

I'll notify the mayor that you won't likely be back so he can readjust city services accordingly šŸ˜¬

Probably late to this party but:

NYC is a terrain ride. You wouldn't go into mountain passes in January so don't go into NYC during high traffic hours. It is a magnificent city and easily accessible, if you do some planning. Many affordable options for a stay, in even Manhattan, exist. One of the best is Seafarers International on 14th St. near Union Square. Less than $100 a night, squeaky clean, run by the Lutheran Church for seafarers but you don't need to tell a fib or have a sea card to stay. Ask desk where you might stash your bike in a pay lot and I'm sure they can steer you right and for what you save on the room, a garage won't be but so bad. Walk from there and use Subway, Busses, etc.

Ride into town crack of dawn on Sunday morning, get settled and the city is your oyster. Leave crack of dawn, nearly any day of the week and have smooth sailing. Any heavy traffic at an early hour will be inbound.

Cheers (A Southern Boy)
Helpful information.! Am sure may help someone who plans to go that way.
You are probably right, as well as late! Still, like better the advise I fallowed:
Stay in New Jersey, shuttle bus to Manhattan for $14 back and forth/person.
Only the tunnel is $30/vehicle. Am pleased with the way I went and thanks
to the ones that suggested! Bikes where safe, parked in front of our door.

Toll is not $30. Toll is $15 going into NYC (less if you have an EZ Pass). There is no tunnel toll as you are leaving.

I noticed the fare posted when crossed with the shuttle bus. If I am wrong, I stand corrected. And if the fare is to be paid only one way, so much better.

Back