• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Niagara Falls to New York City

temesvar

Planning a trip around good ol' USA. A leg would be the stretch between Niagara Falls and New York City.
Time is short, but would like to avoid main highways, take the scenic routes, yet make it shortest
way to the big apple. Am riding with a friend from Germany, and would like to take him to the
Statue of Liberty. I am horrified of big cities but this one i have to do. Of course, the iconic landmark
is a most see to anyone in the world! We plan on staying at motels, and not determined yet, but most
likely in June.
Any suggestions about the roads, motels to and in New York, are greatly appreciated!

IMNSHO, there's nothing wrong with NYC that a really big high tide wouldn't fix. And, nice as it is to see if you must cross a bridge in sight of the SOL, it's simply not worth riding to from Niagara Falls. Finger Lakes, Adirondacks, Vermont's route 100, New Hampshire's Kancamagus Highway, White Mountains (including the Presidential range and Mt. Washington)... the list goes on and on. If you must see something "American monument", Independence Hall National Park(*) has gotten it done for our German friends. Add in more of Old City (including Elfriths Alley), Valley Forge NP, and even Brandywine (St Park???) in Chadds Ford for more about the War of Independence and you've seen a lot. But NYC? Nah...

No city is really great fun to ride in, but Philadelphia is relatively easy, with the inner city's grid plan and expressways into and near the center of the city. And, of course, the Rocky statue at the base of the Phila. Art Museum steps. And there's Fairmount Park.

I would park the bikes somewhere scenic along the Hudson River and take the train in then use subways to get around. No way I would ride a bike into the city. It is bad enough on the outskirts!

I would park the bikes somewhere scenic along the Hudson River and take the train in then use subways to get around. No way I would ride a bike into the city. It is bad enough on the outskirts!

I agree, a friend was charged $30 per hour to park his motorcycle for a couple of hours while he visited Ground Zero. Yes, he got ripped off but it was the only option he could find at the time. If you do ride around NYC, I would just ride, not try to park anywhere.

If you absolutely must ride in the City, do so early on Sunday morning.
Also, I highly recommend taking the Circle Line boat tour around Manhattan. You'll get up close and personal with Lady Liberty.
You can park at that end of town too but I would park as far as downtown as you can get...lots are empty on Sunday.
Oh...and be sure to eat at the Umbrella Room....any local can tell you where it is.

IMNSHO, there's nothing wrong with NYC that a really big high tide wouldn't fix. And, nice as it is to see if you must cross a bridge in sight of the SOL, it's simply not worth riding to from Niagara Falls. Finger Lakes, Adirondacks, Vermont's route 100, New Hampshire's Kancamagus Highway, White Mountains (including the Presidential range and Mt. Washington)... the list goes on and on. If you must see something "American monument", Independence Hall National Park(*) has gotten it done for our German friends. Add in more of Old City (including Elfriths Alley), Valley Forge NP, and even Brandywine (St Park???) in Chadds Ford for more about the War of Independence and you've seen a lot. But NYC? Nah...

No city is really great fun to ride in, but Philadelphia is relatively easy, with the inner city's grid plan and expressways into and near the center of the city. And, of course, the Rocky statue at the base of the Phila. Art Museum steps. And there's Fairmount Park.

Couldn't agree with you more, (except the high tide! :nono) Thanks for all the suggestions, and yes, we will pass thru Philadelphia.

This sounds like a good plan.

If you absolutely must ride in the City, do so early on Sunday morning.
Also, I highly recommend taking the Circle Line boat tour around Manhattan. You'll get up close and personal with Lady Liberty.
You can park at that end of town too but I would park as far as downtown as you can get...lots are empty on Sunday.
Oh...and be sure to eat at the Umbrella Room....any local can tell you where it is.

Precious information here! Will look for that tour! And always like to ride thru a big city early Sunday morning!
Umbrella Room will look for:eat
Thanks!

That is the idea. Just like you, no way i would ride in the city day time.
Maybe first thing Sunday morning. Am open for suggestions of places to stay.
I never cared to go to New York. Would prefer to ride up in the mountains,
far from the traffic.

Access the Statue of Liberty from the New Jersey Side

The Statue of Liberty can be accessed from the New Jersey side of things. Still not a great riding area but infinitely better than Manhattan! Search for Liberty State Park.

I live in Texas. I used to live in Kansas, Iowa, and North Dakota. I got within 17 miles of New York City once. That was in New Jersey.

My wife Voni - ditto on the live there stuff - rode to BMW of Manhattan and the Geggenheim by herself one time. She is braver than I am.

My advice: Find a reliable local to guide you in and out of the mess.

As for routing, I have a 1995 vintage mapping program. It shows a marvelous 366 mile backroad ride between these two places. Just put in "shortest" and tweak it a little bit. Use the tools you can find.

You don't have to ride into NY City to see the Statue of Liberty. New Jersey has Liberty State Park with much less stressful traffic and plenty of parking, and ferry service to Liberty Island and Ellis island. The statue actually sits closer to NJ than NY.
( NJ had waged a long legal battle through the courts to claim the statue sits in NJ waters. NJ wanted the sales taxes from the ticket and concession sales. NJ eventually lost the case. )

Don't stay in a hotel in NYC unless you want to spend a week's pay for one night's stay. And don't pick a 'no name' hotel or motel on the Jersey side right near NYC. There's too many flea bag 'hourly stay' motels that dot the urban areas of NJ near NYC. I'd recommend staying five or eight miles west of NYC in a well known chain hotel Hilton, Sheraton, Holiday Inn, etc. That is my home area. If you want to discuss or need more info, give me a PM.

Follow the link below for Liberty State Park info..... also, 1-877-LADY TIX for ticket info.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/liberty.html

For your trip around the USA I recommend getting the book "Great American Motorcycle Tours." There's also versions of the book for smaller areas of the country. (Northeast etc.) The book has you travel the great secondary roads and not the interstates, and includes historic info and sites, as well as full lodging and restaurant info.

Last edited:
For your trip around the USA I recommend getting the book "Great American Motorcycle Roads." There's also versions of the book for smaller areas of the country. (Northeast etc.) The book has you travel the great secondary roads and not the interstates, and includes historic info and sites, as well as full lodging and restaurant info.

Perhaps Great American Motorcycle Tours instead?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ield-keywords=Great+American+Motorcycle+Roads

Not a lot of NYC love here...

If you are planning a few days and it is in your budget, ride into and stay at a hotel in NYC. Your German friend will surely remember that long after a trip to NJ and a ferry ride into Manhattan. There is nothing like riding through the canyons of NYC.
You can do the Isle of Mann(hattan) Ride.

If you are on a budget or just planning to spend a day, stay in a hotel outside of NYC and ride in. You can park on the street in Battery Park or most other residential areas (alongside dozens of other motorcycles) for free. Leave all your gear in the hotel so you won't have to worry about it while you are out and about.

I have a friend that Air B&B's his studio apt. in Chinatown for about $100 a night. Air B&B can be a more affordable option than a hotel. The ability to prepare your own food will cut costs considerably.

If you are just going to spend a day, then it makes more sense to get a place out of the city and do a day trip.

I lived and rode in NYC for 25 years and still commute in regularly.

Last edited:
And how did you feel about it the very first few times you did it before you got the hang of it?

It was a long time ago, I certainly didn't let the idea of riding in NYC stop me from doing it. I love to ride, wherever you go the terrain can be challenging.

Last edited:
Not a lot of NYC love because there's not much to love about riding a motorcycle there. Especially for a newcomer. Average speed will be 2 or 3 MPH going across town. Lots of potholes. Expensive parking- $50 for half a day. If you do find a spot on the street, there's a good chance someone parking their car will bump your bike or worse. Best way to get around the city is a combination of public transit and your two feet.

You don't have to ride into NY City to see the Statue of Liberty. New Jersey has Liberty State Park with much less stressful traffic and plenty of parking, and ferry service to Liberty Island and Ellis island. The statue actually sits closer to NJ than NY.
( NJ had waged a long legal battle through the courts to claim the statue sits in NJ waters. NJ wanted the sales taxes from the ticket and concession sales. NJ eventually lost the case. )

Don't stay in a hotel in NYC unless you want to spend a week's pay for one night's stay. And don't pick a 'no name' hotel or motel on the Jersey side right near NYC. There's too many flea bag 'hourly stay' motels that dot the urban areas of NJ near NYC. I'd recommend staying five or eight miles west of NYC in a well known chain hotel Hilton, Sheraton, Holiday Inn, etc. That is my home area. If you want to discuss or need more info, give me a PM.

Follow the link below for Liberty State Park info..... also, 1-877-LADY TIX for ticket info.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/liberty.html

For your trip around the USA I recommend getting the book "Great American Motorcycle Roads." There's also versions of the book for smaller areas of the country. (Northeast etc.) The book has you travel the great secondary roads and not the interstates, and includes historic info and sites, as well as full lodging and restaurant info.

You are perfectly right, and thanks for the suggestions. Great idea about the book, it should help a lot.
Will order it right away.

Back