• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Niagara Falls to New York City

I notice a other book also: "Motorcycle Journeys Through North America"
I don't know if is better than "Great American Motorcycle Tours".
Either one will be of great help! Thanks for the suggestions!!

Couldn't agree with you more, (except the high tide! :nono) Thanks for all the suggestions, and yes, we will pass thru Philadelphia.

PM me as your plans starts to gel. I can be talked into doing my "Wilkommen in Philadelphia" tour. :)

And, much as I dislike NYC, I agree about the idea of parking outside of the city and taking public transportation. I also agree with the idea of the boat tour. And I'm sure there's a bus version (Grey Line???), too, for the bits not visible from the water. When you park, take everything that can be removed easily and stow it in a Port Authority locker before doing your sightseeing. Or do the NJ Liberty Park and call the job done.

It was a long time ago, I certainly didn't let the idea of riding in NYC stop me from doing it. I love to ride, wherever you go the terrain can be challenging.

So. You need to volunterr to guide the OP to where he/she needs to go. We do it in the Big Bend where urbanites are stressed 50 miles from a gas pump. You need to do it in the urban jungle.

So. You need to volunterr to guide the OP to where he/she needs to go. We do it in the Big Bend where urbanites are stressed 50 miles from a gas pump. You need to do it in the urban jungle.

I don't know Paul, I think ClassicVW has convinced me that riding in NYC should be avoided.

If the OP wants to contact me about riding in NYC he definitely should.

I almost fell off the chair when i read this! Thanks for your suggestion, Paul!
I can't ask anyone for this, not yet, anyways, since i don't have the plan
finalized. Also, dates may vary, i want no commitment to a certain place
and time. We get where we get when we do! No plans, no stress, just
riding. ( NY am sure would be stress!) In plan is to go south and cross Texas!
If that comes true, would be more than happy to have a coffee together or a
cold beer somewhere near your place!:beer To bad, will not have any canadian
beer with us by then, to offer you one. Just as bad as you guys do NOT have a
good beer...:whistle

I don't know Paul, I think ClassicVW has convinced me that riding in NYC should be avoided.

If the OP wants to contact me about riding in NYC he definitely should.

Thanks for the offer, rdalland! Will keep in mind, depending on time and place.
But it appears to be a better idea to go to NJ...If it is up to me, would sleep
over night somewhere just before New York. Wake up at 4 am Sunday morning
and ride thru the city and :wave to the Ol' Lady on the way out of there!!

PM me as your plans starts to gel. I can be talked into doing my "Wilkommen in Philadelphia" tour. :)

And, much as I dislike NYC, I agree about the idea of parking outside of the city and taking public transportation. I also agree with the idea of the boat tour. And I'm sure there's a bus version (Grey Line???), too, for the bits not visible from the water. When you park, take everything that can be removed easily and stow it in a Port Authority locker before doing your sightseeing. Or do the NJ Liberty Park and call the job done.

Appreciate your offer, RBEmerson! There is a good chance we will go thru Philadelphia.
Being in the area, will let you know , and if time is convenient for you , will appreciate
your help! Only a few hours, as our time, just as yours, is limited!:thumb

Hostel International (HI) is at 103 and Amsterdam, just a couple blocks off Broadway. Subway on Broadway to anywhere. Affordable.

To answer the initial request, I would plan on going into PA, and across NJ to get to the city, far better choice of roads and far less urban sprawl to navigate.

Lots of routes, dependent on time, a route through the finger lakes would be good and if more in a hurry Rt 390 and 86/17 (slab) isn't a bad road, little traffic and decent scenery.

If you have a couple days to travel, there are a lot of nice back roads into and across the southern tier of NY and northern PA, I could give you a list if you have that much time.

To answer the initial request, I would plan on going into PA, and across NJ to get to the city, far better choice of roads and far less urban sprawl to navigate.

Lots of routes, dependent on time, a route through the finger lakes would be good and if more in a hurry Rt 390 and 86/17 (slab) isn't a bad road, little traffic and decent scenery.

If you have a couple days to travel, there are a lot of nice back roads into and across the southern tier of NY and northern PA, I could give you a list if you have that much time.

Thank you for your suggestions. I understand and believe, is a much better choice to go to New Jersey. We don't have much time, only 4 weeks.
And the trip will be over 10K miles! From New Jersey to Jacksonville, New Orleans, Dallas,Vegas,San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver and from there
back to Ontario along the northern US border. After this, probably will park the bike and not sit on it for like a month..:Nahh, maybe two days!!
:nod

I'd be careful bragging on Canadian beer. 25 years ago what you said was mostly true- little stuff other than light pilseners and lagers not very distinguishable here- though TX where Paul is had some. Always enjoyed the brews up north.
BUT US craft brewers have since 1976 law changes exploded and invented more new beer styles than the rest of the planet added together since 1900. Even Belgian brewers are coming to the US to catch up on what's happening here.
Do sample the local craft stuff as you drive through. US craft beers span the range from a "lawnmower kolsch" at 4.5% ABV to 21% ABV which is way more than I want in my beer. I have a number of places near me with 25-100 beers on tap these days that cover a huge style range. All of the world's beer styles are locatable in the US these days as either local, imported, or both.
The big national brands are of course unchanged except some have made mostly bad efforts to get in the craft beer game typically trying to hide their true identity when doing so. The big boys all brew by ingredient and process cost so can't compete with the folks who brew to taste. When they acquire a brand so they can increase their sales the big boys always dumb down the recipe and ruin the original product but these days it doesn't matter because there are so many replacements always coming on line.
The latest oddity I tasted from a US brewer (but in Isla Mujeres Mexico where they are located) was a sour brewed with the Caribbean hibiscus flower normally used for hibiscus tea or "jamaica". Don't expect that one to catch on.

Making that circle the way I think you might do it to those cities will take you well away from the countries best riding and slogging some of the least scenic bits.
Why all those dull and boring cities? Jacksonville? Dallas? Don't forget your sidearm for parts of NO but it is entertaining if you've never seen it.
????

I'd be careful bragging on Canadian beer. 25 years ago what you said was mostly true- little stuff other than light pilseners and lagers not very distinguishable here- though TX where Paul is had some. Always enjoyed the brews up north.
BUT US craft brewers have since 1976 law changes exploded and invented more new beer styles than the rest of the planet added together since 1900. Even Belgian brewers are coming to the US to catch up on what's happening here.
Do sample the local craft stuff as you drive through. US craft beers span the range from a "lawnmower kolsch" at 4.5% ABV to 21% ABV which is way more than I want in my beer. I have a number of places near me with 25-100 beers on tap these days that cover a huge style range. All of the world's beer styles are locatable in the US these days as either local, imported, or both.
The big national brands are of course unchanged except some have made mostly bad efforts to get in the craft beer game typically trying to hide their true identity when doing so. The big boys all brew by ingredient and process cost so can't compete with the folks who brew to taste. When they acquire a brand so they can increase their sales the big boys always dumb down the recipe and ruin the original product but these days it doesn't matter because there are so many replacements always coming on line.
The latest oddity I tasted from a US brewer (but in Isla Mujeres Mexico where they are located) was a sour brewed with the Caribbean hibiscus flower normally used for hibiscus tea or "jamaica". Don't expect that one to catch on.
I love it! We have come to beer talk! Sorry if i hurt your feelings, it was not intended. I respect your thoughts about the subject, but i don't think
a good beer can be invented today!! Has been done hundreds of years before. Some just refused to accept it! Just like art, is not nice what is considered nice, is nice what you like! IMHO, same goes with beer! :beer
Is good to know that, at the end of a daylong ride, will be able to sip a good cold beer!

Making that circle the way I think you might do it to those cities will take you well away from the countries best riding and slogging some of the least scenic bits.
Why all those dull and boring cities? Jacksonville? Dallas? Don't forget your sidearm for parts of NO but it is entertaining if you've never seen it.
????

Them cities were just as a reference point. How else was i going to describe the considered route?
The only city i would like to go into is San Francisco. And ride along the coast up to Seattle.
New York is my friend's wish, and will stop at a motel on the outskirts, and take whatever there is
train or subway to see the city for the short time we will be there. Would appreciate any suggestions as
where we should stop before getting to close to the city, yet not to far from public transportation.
We only have 4 weeks, and the idea is to tour USA. It is a once in a life time experience for my friend from
Germany. This one time i still have an extra bike, and we are still able to ride long distances. At this stage in life,
you don't know what next year brings!!
Jacksonville is not a target! Just a reference point when to turn and head west. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Am afraid is going to be a long and boring journey, going east coast to west coast. I hope i am wrong. Same goes
back up north, going east back home.
Bikes are in good shape. My other bike is a Triumph Sprint. Hopefully will have no major problems.
Will keep you posted as how the trip is going!
Thanks.

I have no idea how to plan a 4 week riding tour of the US. Sure its only 300 mile days or so by shortest routes. BUT 300 miles is still a bunch if you actually want to spend any time any where- or if the roads are something fun to ride and not superslab.
Much of eastern US is not that different in appearance from ON or Germany. And the northeast is densely populated. If NYC is a "must do", I'd stop on the Hudson up by the Tappan Zee bridge someplace and take the train into and out of NYC. And allot maybe 2 days if you want to do a boat tour and explore a bit. But I was born near NYC and hate the whole area so you wouldn't get me there if you paid me.
To see things different then both of you are used to I'd be planning most or all time out west. Just trying to do a few of the most scenic/famous national parks plus riding the west coast roads from southern CA to the Olympic peninsula is plenty for 4 weeks.
Trying to pack too much in will reduce the time you two will have to enjoy each other's company and possibly result in two very exhausted riders trying to chase a too tight "schedule". I'd be trying to keep the mileage at around 250 or less per day to allow time to enjoy decent meals and relaxing evenings plus some exploration time of sights along the way. And though that doesn't sound like much, throw in a few days of rain riding and it gets longer. 30X250= 7500 miles total. Which is not enough for a "full circle"

And 7500 might mean tire changes and other maintenance depending on if you start with new tires and freshly serviced machines.

Don't forget you could be riding in conditions from desert dry heat where keeping core temps in control is mandatory to near freezing if you head for mountain altitudes.
And riding at night can be risky in areas with a lot of wildlife unless you have seriously upgraded lighting. I like first light starts and late afternoon stops.

So what would you put on 7500 miles? Or do you want to ride to exhaustion and do 12K or more which is what a fun road full circle would probably take.?

I have no idea how to plan a 4 week riding tour of the US. Sure its only 300 mile days or so by shortest routes. BUT 300 miles is still a bunch if you actually want to spend any time any where- or if the roads are something fun to ride and not superslab.
Much of eastern US is not that different in appearance from ON or Germany. And the northeast is densely populated. If NYC is a "must do", I'd stop on the Hudson up by the Tappan Zee bridge someplace and take the train into and out of NYC. And allot maybe 2 days if you want to do a boat tour and explore a bit. But I was born near NYC and hate the whole area so you wouldn't get me there if you paid me.
To see things different then both of you are used to I'd be planning most or all time out west. Just trying to do a few of the most scenic/famous national parks plus riding the west coast roads from southern CA to the Olympic peninsula is plenty for 4 weeks.
Trying to pack too much in will reduce the time you two will have to enjoy each other's company and possibly result in two very exhausted riders trying to chase a too tight "schedule". I'd be trying to keep the mileage at around 250 or less per day to allow time to enjoy decent meals and relaxing evenings plus some exploration time of sights along the way. And though that doesn't sound like much, throw in a few days of rain riding and it gets longer. 30X250= 7500 miles total. Which is not enough for a "full circle"

And 7500 might mean tire changes and other maintenance depending on if you start with new tires and freshly serviced machines.

Don't forget you could be riding in conditions from desert dry heat where keeping core temps in control is mandatory to near freezing if you head for mountain altitudes.
And riding at night can be risky in areas with a lot of wildlife unless you have seriously upgraded lighting. I like first light starts and late afternoon stops.

So what would you put on 7500 miles? Or do you want to ride to exhaustion and do 12K or more which is what a fun road full circle would probably take.?

Hi racer7!
I appreciate your response, and consider your thoughts! I am a novice at planing, but am trying to do the best i can.
Any suggestions, and i mean ANY are appreciated and will consider. The area we intend to ride thru are unknown to
both of us, so any help is highly welcome! I will respond to every points you have raised: NYC! You hate it, I gladly
would avoid it but to a european is a must see! As it would be to you, visiting France and avoid Paris, Champs Elysees ,
Louvre and Eiffel Tower! Or am I wrong? Will consider and look into where to stop, far yet close enough so we can use
public transportation, yet far from the place the Scorpions call "the Zoo" Tappan Zee bridge is a start! So, NYC would be
the far east point of our tour. Short stay, 2 days at the most. How far south from there we will go, is just a guess for now.
Hard to put a number at miles, but i considered 10 K should be close to the target. We only have 4 weeks at our disposal:
We both work for a living. I considered to go on June, as early June is not the worst heat wave down south, yet late June
is not still to cold up north. The bike's will be ready for the trip. Two new sets of tires are here already, will be installed just
before we leave. (PR4 GT's) Oil changed, will do one mid way. As we all know, surprises can occur, rain and fatigue will for
sure change the plans, although we have not much planed. Will do as much as we can, at a comfortable pace. At any time
we can change the route, or just turn around. But the more we do, the more the satisfaction.
I do not intend to ride at night, although if have to, both bikes have HID's
We consider this to be the ultimate trip of our life! We are both close to 60! What we can do this year, may not next year!
This journey is possible for us this year.

We ride for a few (2 or 3) months every summer. West of the Mississippi 300 miles is 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. In the congested east all bets are off. Voni has been solo to the opening of the "Art and the Motorcycle" exhibit at the Guggenheim in NYC. I hate cities - too many chances for them to run me over and kill me.

Decide what you wish to see. Plan short days in the congested east. Plan longer days in the west. Go see. Go do. Have fun.

Nyc

I grew up 60 miles north of there. Riding in the city is a nightmare I no longer wish to experience. You can lose a GS in some of the pot holes! Plus, you have the hassle of what to do with all your gear. Look in the Anonymous book for a rider from Carmel, Brewster or that area who can possibly store the bikes. The trains from Brewster are commuters and run often. You'll draw less attention to yourselves in regular street clothes.
There ARE some decent and cheap hotels in the city. Again, use your anonymous book to get up to date information from someone who lives there. You can probably spend two weeks there and not see everything! Bring plenty of money. Everything is expensive and taxed.
With that said, I'm sure that you'll have a great time. NYC is one of the most exciting and entertaining cities in the world.

We ride for a few (2 or 3) months every summer. West of the Mississippi 300 miles is 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. In the congested east all bets are off. Voni has been solo to the opening of the "Art and the Motorcycle" exhibit at the Guggenheim in NYC. I hate cities - too many chances for them to run me over and kill me.

Decide what you wish to see. Plan short days in the congested east. Plan longer days in the west. Go see. Go do. Have fun.

Thanks, Paul! That is the plan:go see, go do, and have some fun! Will miss a lot, but only so much can be seen in 4 weeks!

I grew up 60 miles north of there. Riding in the city is a nightmare I no longer wish to experience. You can lose a GS in some of the pot holes! Plus, you have the hassle of what to do with all your gear. Look in the Anonymous book for a rider from Carmel, Brewster or that area who can possibly store the bikes. The trains from Brewster are commuters and run often. You'll draw less attention to yourselves in regular street clothes.
There ARE some decent and cheap hotels in the city. Again, use your anonymous book to get up to date information from someone who lives there. You can probably spend two weeks there and not see everything! Bring plenty of money. Everything is expensive and taxed.
With that said, I'm sure that you'll have a great time. NYC is one of the most exciting and entertaining cities in the world.

Thanks for the suggestions! No more than two nights in NYC!! A motel that is safe to keep the bikes, and access to public transportation is what am looking for! And now that i know, will not ride thru the city even at early morning hours.( i mean 3 am!) It just comes to mind, who won the war? Am sure one can ride safe thru Hiroshima, Nagasaki or Berlin, without losing the bike in a path hole! Is much worse when you don't even know which way to go!! Am sure we'll be more than happy to get out of there! I almost believe is going to be the toughest part of our journey!

Back