• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Beer Garden at SLC

MADDOG

Morning all, and Happy New Year!

Just read an email from Rally Chair Greg Feeler.
The MOA will NOT be in charge of the rally's Beer Garden. {sigh}
As always, probably for multiple reasons.
Every year, there is always some issue or another. Most of the time, 98% of rally goers never see it, which is good! But once more, we will have to "wait til next year!"
Ride safely. Rest assured that I will make the wonderful trek through the Midwest from Ct. once more. Come up and say "hi", and we'll fantasize that we're working together again:drink.

MAD DOG 2016 BG Chair, Hamburg, NY. et alii

Last edited:
Oh, the fun we'll have!

And next year they'll put you back in the Bier Garten just to keep us out of trouble ;)

Voni
sMiling

:dance:banghead

My dear friends Voni and Darryl:

I think that I get into MORE trouble when I'm NOT running the Bier Garten!!!

Having said that , I really wish to do it year after year, and see good friends cycle through.

MAD DOG 2016 BG Chair Hamburg NY,:drink et alii

You could open a speak easy. Put up a large tent in a different spot every day, have a secret password and sell bootleg beer.

Utah Alcohol Sales Complexities

Sorry to hear MadDog. It was a fine and fun experience working with you at Hamburg! I can certainly understand the difficulties and complexities.

I'd suggest that anyone take a look at the Wikipedia article regarding alcohol in Utah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_Utah) and then you'll understand...

Sorry to hear MadDog. It was a fine and fun experience working with you at Hamburg! I can certainly understand the difficulties and complexities.

I'd suggest that anyone take a look at the Wikipedia article regarding alcohol in Utah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_Utah) and then you'll understand...

Indeed. Given it is Utah it might be a wonder we can drink beer at all. But as long as their folk make the profit I guess it must be OK. Note from the link above that we might be restricted to 3.2% beer. Not sure. Yet to be determined. :banghead

This is from the Visit Salt Lake web site that is linked to the Rally 17 of the BMWMOA

On-premise beer: Bowling alleys, arenas, outdoor festivals, and a handful of taverns and lounges serve only 4.0% ABV beer. There is no food requirement to purchase drinks from these establishments, which can start serving beer at 10:00 a.m.

And if I'm reading this right all draft beer is 4.0% beer.

You can get high-point beer—that is, any beer over 4.0% alcohol by volume (ABV)—at most bars and restaurants, but it must be served in bottles. Anything on tap is 4.0% ABV.

This is from the Visit Salt Lake web site that is linked to the Rally 17 of the BMWMOA

On-premise beer: Bowling alleys, arenas, outdoor festivals, and a handful of taverns and lounges serve only 4.0% ABV beer. There is no food requirement to purchase drinks from these establishments, which can start serving beer at 10:00 a.m.

You can get high-point beer—that is, any beer over 4.0% alcohol by volume (ABV)—at most bars and restaurants, but it must be served in bottles. Anything on tap is 4.0% ABV.

Wonderful. Just wonderful. :banghead

Indeed. Given it is Utah it might be a wonder we can drink beer at all. But as long as their folk make the profit I guess it must be OK. Note from the link above that we might be restricted to 3.2% beer. Not sure. Yet to be determined. :banghead

and that's what it's all about.

Grocery store/C-store beer is 3.2. Hi-point beer is available at state liquor stores, as are wine and spirits, and there are two such stores within reasonable riding distance of the rally site. Or, you could take TRAX or bus from the fairgrounds. There is also a dedicated state wine store in SLC, should you oenophiles wish a more exclusive selection. And, most sit-down restaurants have alcohol available as well. SLC has several microbreweries producing great beers--I'm partial to the Polygamy Porter myself--as well as local distilleries where one can sometimes gat a wee sample.

UT liquor laws are vastly more open than they were 30 years ago when I moved here. Gone are the mini-bottles and the hunt for the little window--much like a confessional--where they were sold. No more personal bottles in a private locker at your favorite dining establishment or watering hole, and brown-bagging with corkage fees has pretty much disappeared. So while still weird, liquor laws in UT are not that much weirder than many other places. Just try to buy a drink at a local eatery after touring the Jack Daniels distillery, for example. 😁

So, getting your whistle wet in SLC will not be a problem!
Best,
DG

On-premise beer: Bowling alleys, arenas, outdoor festivals, and a handful of taverns and lounges serve only 4.0% ABV beer.

Damn, why bother.
I just looked in my beer frig and they range from 7% to 9%.

What is a state liquor store:scratch

A). A place where the employees are underpaid and understaffed (many without a pay raise for close to ten years) and get little to no input into inventory/stocking decisions, leading to shortfalls and outages of some products

B) A church-driven construct where demon rum can be corralled and controlled while maintaining the appearance of extending full hospitality and service to ski tourists and convention-goers.

C) A way to assuage legislative guilt over seeming to support the sale and consumption of alcohol by dedicating the (morally tainted) profits to funding education, specifically the state school lunch program.

D). All of the above.

Welcome to Utah, and drink up--too many of our kids come to school hungry! :beer:laugh

Seriously--you'll be able to find whatever you want to drink, it's just a question of figuring out where to buy it. And if you spend all your time in the beer tent you'll miss the best that SLC has to offer, which is all the great riding in the Wasatch Mtns.

See you there,
DG

Last edited:
You know there is one good thing about having weak beer at the beer garden. More time to spend making friends.:wave Now you can drink 2 or 3 with the same effect of having 1 regular beer. :brad

Back