Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MOA Beer Garden at SLC

MOA Beer Garden at SLC

Morning all, and Happy New Year!

Just read an email from Rally Chair Greg Feeler.
    The MOA will NOT be in charge of the rally's Beer Garden. {sigh}
    As always, probably for multiple reasons.
    Every year, there is always some issue or another. Most of the time, 98% of rally goers never see it, which is good! But once more, we will have to "wait til next year!"
    Ride safely. Rest assured that I will make the wonderful trek through the Midwest from Ct. once more. Come up and say "hi", and we'll fantasize that we're working together again.

MAD DOG 2016 BG Chair, Hamburg, NY. et alii
    Last edited by MADDOG; 01-09-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Oh, the fun we'll have!

And next year they'll put you back in the Bier Garten just to keep us out of trouble

Voni
    sMiling

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

You will be able to enjoy the Rally for a change! ;>)
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

My dear friends Voni and Darryl:

I think that I get into MORE trouble when I'm NOT running the Bier Garten!!!

Having said that , I really wish to do it year after year, and see good friends cycle through.

MAD DOG 2016 BG Chair Hamburg NY, et alii

You could open a speak easy. Put up a large tent in a different spot every day, have a secret password and sell bootleg beer.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Utah Alcohol Sales Complexities

Sorry to hear MadDog. It was a fine and fun experience working with you at Hamburg! I can certainly understand the difficulties and complexities.

I'd suggest that anyone take a look at the Wikipedia article regarding alcohol in Utah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_Utah) and then you'll understand...
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Sorry to hear MadDog. It was a fine and fun experience working with you at Hamburg! I can certainly understand the difficulties and complexities.

I'd suggest that anyone take a look at the Wikipedia article regarding alcohol in Utah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_Utah) and then you'll understand...
    Indeed. Given it is Utah it might be a wonder we can drink beer at all. But as long as their folk make the profit I guess it must be OK. Note from the link above that we might be restricted to 3.2% beer. Not sure. Yet to be determined.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

RK Ryder
    Really sorry to hear that piece of news Mad Dog.

I really enjoyed working with you at Hamburg.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders #298 & Knights of the Roundel #333

This is from the Visit Salt Lake web site that is linked to the Rally 17 of the BMWMOA

On-premise beer: Bowling alleys, arenas, outdoor festivals, and a handful of taverns and lounges serve only 4.0% ABV beer. There is no food requirement to purchase drinks from these establishments, which can start serving beer at 10:00 a.m.

And if I'm reading this right all draft beer is 4.0% beer.

You can get high-point beer—that is, any beer over 4.0% alcohol by volume (ABV)—at most bars and restaurants, but it must be served in bottles. Anything on tap is 4.0% ABV.
    Enjoying life in the beautiful state of Jefferson
    2013 K1600GTL : 2004 VTX1800c : 2007 K1200GT with Hannigen sidecar

Quote Originally Posted by story View Post
    This is from the Visit Salt Lake web site that is linked to the Rally 17 of the BMWMOA

On-premise beer: Bowling alleys, arenas, outdoor festivals, and a handful of taverns and lounges serve only 4.0% ABV beer. There is no food requirement to purchase drinks from these establishments, which can start serving beer at 10:00 a.m.

You can get high-point beer—that is, any beer over 4.0% alcohol by volume (ABV)—at most bars and restaurants, but it must be served in bottles. Anything on tap is 4.0% ABV.
    Wonderful. Just wonderful.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Indeed. Given it is Utah it might be a wonder we can drink beer at all. But as long as their folk make the profit I guess it must be OK. Note from the link above that we might be restricted to 3.2% beer. Not sure. Yet to be determined.
    and that's what it's all about.
    Ron R

Grocery store/C-store beer is 3.2. Hi-point beer is available at state liquor stores, as are wine and spirits, and there are two such stores within reasonable riding distance of the rally site. Or, you could take TRAX or bus from the fairgrounds. There is also a dedicated state wine store in SLC, should you oenophiles wish a more exclusive selection. And, most sit-down restaurants have alcohol available as well. SLC has several microbreweries producing great beers--I'm partial to the Polygamy Porter myself--as well as local distilleries where one can sometimes gat a wee sample.

UT liquor laws are vastly more open than they were 30 years ago when I moved here. Gone are the mini-bottles and the hunt for the little window--much like a confessional--where they were sold. No more personal bottles in a private locker at your favorite dining establishment or watering hole, and brown-bagging with corkage fees has pretty much disappeared. So while still weird, liquor laws in UT are not that much weirder than many other places. Just try to buy a drink at a local eatery after touring the Jack Daniels distillery, for example. 😁

So, getting your whistle wet in SLC will not be a problem!
    Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

What is a state liquor store
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    What is a state liquor store
    There's one across the street. Opens at 11, closes at 7. Be forewarned.
    Ron R

Quote Originally Posted by story View Post
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]On-premise beer: Bowling alleys, arenas, outdoor festivals, and a handful of taverns and lounges serve only 4.0% ABV beer.

Damn, why bother.
    I just looked in my beer frig and they range from 7% to 9%.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT