• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Unable to hit forum with Blackberry

JoeDabbs

For about a month and a half, I have not been able to access the forum through my Blackberry. The message indicates that the site is blocked as a security risk. The specific details are: the certificate for this website might not be valid. Further: when viewing the certificate info, it names "Let's Encrypt Authority X3, and states that it's not trusted. Any info on this? I've called the forum and left a message, but to no avail.

Joe -

Were you able to get to the forum with the Blackberry in the past? Just before Thanksgiving, the forum was upgraded to the https protocol...you should see that in the URL. With that come a SSL or security certificate. Are you using Tapatalk to access the forum, or are you getting to it another way?

For about a month and a half, I have not been able to access the forum through my Blackberry. The message indicates that the site is blocked as a security risk. The specific details are: the certificate for this website might not be valid. Further: when viewing the certificate info, it names "Let's Encrypt Authority X3, and states that it's not trusted. Any info on this? I've called the forum and left a message, but to no avail.

There was a forum change about that long ago. After you specifically log out, clear your history, cash and cookies. Chances are that will fix you up.
OM

I did not think they still made the Blackberry.
They BB have either stopped or will soon stop making their own phones very soon and will be handing all of that over to their partners. The Blackberry DTEK50 and 60 are already made by BB partners (TLC, who partnered with Alcatel-Lucent and then bought them out). Virtually none of BB's income has come from phones in the past two years.

Not sure if that will be enough to save them or not, one can only hope that it does. Like the Model T, they really did set a phenomenal path and foundation.

Most of their income now comes from other hardware, their software and services. They have many world-leading products that are quite valuable and even companies like Apple (for iOS multimedia integration), Google (for Andriod in-car stuff), about 40 car manufacturers, etc., use Blackberry's QNX software to make their stuff work.

Unfortunately, if history has shown us anything over the past several decades it is that the best products don't always survive, often the general public picks the shiniest stuff.

Cleared history, as well. I can get to the main site (BMWMOA.org) but when I try to access the forum, that's when I am blocked for the untrusted security certificate.

Is your BB an enterprise version? Does it connect through your phone provider's blackberry servers or through your corp's private BES servers?

It has been a LONG time since I was involved with blackberries (my last was a BB Torch), but I think you'll have to get your blackberry administrator to add the certificate authority that signed the "Let's Encrypt" certificate to your list of trusted certs.

Alternately, convince the maintainers of this board to switch to a more mainstream cert like GoDaddy.

Joe, Pat brings up a good question, are you running through a BES Server?

If so than you should likely check with your company's IT department. If you are on a BES Server that for work reasons has you blocked from the Forum, it might be possible to have them allow you to run BlackBerry Balance. That creates a secure work environment on your phone and also a personal environment that doesn't require anywhere near the restrictions of a highly secure work phone.

No, I am not connected via server through my company, but Verizon. Looks like I'll have to stop by or call to troubleshoot the situation. This stuff could be covered in my manual (wherever that is, ha!)...Security's pretty tight on these things - when we were in Italy and trying to access the train's Wi-Fi, I had to OK it through my login and password, whereas my wife had no problem on her Samsung Galaxy. She's done with that brand, though, as she lost all of her data through a crash and the provider claimed an "anomaly". Ooops! I'll stay with Blackberry, but any suggestions for my wife's next phone that would be stable?

No, I am not connected via server through my company, but Verizon. Looks like I'll have to stop by or call to troubleshoot the situation...
Depending on who you get for tech support they might be able to help.

...This stuff could be covered in my manual (wherever that is, ha!)...Security's pretty tight on these things ...
If you know the model you should be able to download it from BlackBerry's support section of their site.

...any suggestions for my wife's next phone that would be stable?
I wish I could help there. I'd suggest the BlackBerry Priv (full Andriod) but with BB moving away from phone hardware, that might not be the best for ongoing support. I'd suggest considering getting another Samsung and setting it up to automatically do Cloud backups. IIRC, I set mine up to only do the backups when connected to Wi-Fi to avoid data plan useage.

http://www.wikihow.com/Back-Up-an-Android-Phone-on-the-Google-Cloud

aid2357759-728px-Back-Up-an-Android-Phone-on-the-Google-Cloud-Step-4-Version-3.jpg

Still same message about untrustable encryption from BMWMOA site. Oh, well. I'll just use my home computer (hardly ever use that).

I am posting this response from my BlackBerry with OS10. No issues whatsoever. This is not an Android device although it can run Android apps. In 5 years and through multiple platforms it has never failed, farted, seized up, or lost my data. :laugh

Make sure you are running the latest software. Check your security settings. Try accessing the site through WiFi with your mobile network turned off and see if that makes a difference. If it does, then your issue could be your provider.

Back