• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW vs American V-Twin Touring

Seeing as this is the internet.

The 88 cubic inch ( prior to 2007 ) had some cam chain issues that were fixed and didn't require gear drive. Not a deal breaker, just need to know if it was done. Air cooled engines don't last as long as water cooled engines, many of the newer HD have water cooled engines.

Compared to the Japanese bikes neither BMW or HD have particularly good reputations when it comes to reliability.

Seeing as this is the internet.

The 88 cubic inch ( prior to 2007 ) had some cam chain issues that were fixed and didn't require gear drive. Not a deal breaker, just need to know if it was done. Air cooled engines don't last as long as water cooled engines, many of the newer HD have water cooled engines.

Compared to the Japanese bikes neither BMW or HD have particularly good reputations when it comes to reliability.

Yep. Got that right.
The more high tech a vehicle gets, well.....you know. Anyone remember when air conditioning, powered windows and power door locks were "just one more thing to go wrong"?
OM

Yep. Got that right.
The more high tech a vehicle gets, well.....you know. Anyone remember when air conditioning, powered windows and power door locks were "just one more thing to go wrong"?
OM

I have a sister-in-law who still thinks that way. :laugh

I have an RTW and, for me it is the best solution to sport touring that I've found.

I have a touring Ducati (2006 ST3s) and will be selling it this spring because for me, the RTW is the first RT to have sufficient power and is sporty enough to be what I want.
YMMV

Hey not to derail this thread, if you like you may answer by PM, but about the Ducati ST3s...
How do you like it?
Had it long?
Like the RTW better then, eh?
An ST Ducati has been on my "list" of.... let's say, desirable bikes. Almost bought one a few years back but ended up with a K1200 RS instead, which I still own.
Thanks!
Cheers.
Tom

Yep. Got that right.
OM

Remember when. Still feel that way

Says the guy with the GS with ABS, and ESA. And the Buick limited with 10 way power seats, climate control, etc etc etc.

Hey, climate control on the GS. Hummmm

Rod

By now I'm quite familiar with the various BMW models and how they accommodate tall riders. But the apparent riding position of the V-Twins is so different that it looks like tall seats, bar backs, and peg lowerers don't apply. So my question is, are there accessories in common use by tall V-Twin riders? (I suppose I could dig this out of a H-D forum but have never tried to find an appropriate one).

I have a 6'6" nephew that had his Harley pegs and controls extended forward to accommodate his long legs. So, it can be done. But IMNSHO the V-Twin riding position is terrible from a performance and comfort standpoint.

Ski

Back