• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Location of 10-pin connector for use with GS-911 diagnostic tool on 2016 R1200RT?

JBBLI

I upgraded my bike from a 2013 F800GT to a 2016 R1200RT. I'm loving every minute with it. But still learning where all the fiddly bits are located...

I can't find the 10-pin connector to interface with my GS-911 diagnostic tool. Tried under both seats and under both left- and right-side triangular panels. Under-seat pix attached.

Any hints?

Attachments

• IMG_1757.jpg
    IMG_1757.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_1761.jpg
    IMG_1761.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 446
On my RS it's under the right side triangle panel next to the red cap.
The connector has a cover over it.

If you have the older yellow GS-911, you'll need to upgrade to the newer red Wi-Fi model. The Wethead bikes use different electronics with both a CANBUS and a LINBUS. The older yellow GS-911 will not work with these systems.

I had no problem finding connector plug on my WC GS.
Being curious on the WC RT, I found this pic on the hexcode site.

http://dl2.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/images-1/2014R1200RT_LC_diagnosticPlug.jpg

Ah...problem solved!

Per the text on the website, I was looking under the triangular piece of fairing on the right side. However, the connector in the picture from the Hexcodes site you posted shows the plug not under the triangular piece but the piece in front of it. My fault for not being willing to poke around a bit more before posting my query.

Time to take off all of the plastics to learn where things are - without breaking the tabs on the upper side fairings...

Google search

Just bought a new GS-911WIFI, was looking where to plug it in to before I got started... wouldn’t you know a google search brought me to the place with all the answers. Thanks for those on this thread a couple of years ago who took the time to share what they learned.

Just a note to this conversation. starting with the 2017 models the diagnostic connector was switched to an OBD 2 type that will not connect to the early GS 911 wifi tool unless you have the latest tool with the OBD 2 connector.

It is called the U4 adapter. Your supplier should be able to get you hooked up if your red GS 911 doesn't match the connector on your bike.

http://www.gs911usa.com/GS-911_Accessories.html

Beware

Just a note to this conversation. starting with the 2017 models the diagnostic connector was switched to an OBD 2 type that will not connect to the early GS 911 wifi tool unless you have the latest tool with the OBD 2 connector.

It is called the U4 adapter. Your supplier should be able to get you hooked up if your red GS 911 doesn't match the connector on your bike.

http://www.gs911usa.com/GS-911_Accessories.html

Actually if you have a gen 1 GS-911 it won't work with your newer LC bike even with that adapter. GS-911 gen 1 was left behind with their new hardware, a choice GS-911 made that had nothing to the plug changing like they claim. Kind of a "tough luck" deal that I found out about through personal experience. After that I decided to ditch the proprietary GS-911 rig and go with Motoscan. About $100 total with no proprietary adapter and Motoscan software app. Adapter works on my cars too.

I was just about to open a new thread when I found this. Next to the battery. Whodathunk it?

Thanks for taking the time to research this. Perhaps it should go in the maintenance sticky?

Last edited:
Back