• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Top Case

I have always used my top cases far more than my side cases because there are much more convenient and practical to use. Certainly they detract from the look of the bike, but I have always been more concerned about function than looking good.

I spend a reasonable amount of time in Europe and what you see there is that where people use their bikes constantly, a top case is alway on the bike and side cases are the things that get put on or left off based on need, directly opposite to North America.

BMW used to offer "city" side cases (a shallower lid) for their side cases specifically to bring the width of the bike down to at or below the width of the bars/mirrors.

Just Google search images of motorcycles from around the world and you should start to notice this. The one exception is crotch rockets where style is more important than function for too high a percentage of riders.

i have a 2014 RT with a top case. got the bike used with 800 miles on it after the rear shock recall caper so the money i saved went to other options, the most important being the top case. they are expensive, but worth it. I love mine. try to get the interior light option and get it linked to the central lock system. it is a pain getting on and off the bike with it installed but that is a minor inconvenience. Mine will hold 2 helmets if i remove and fold up the interior base matt. I leave it on all the time, as I do not want to remove it and get it damaged. I am surprised to see there is no carrying handle like the old one.

My experience is similar. I have always had after market cases - usually Givi - which are quite easy to take off and transport. On my 2016 R1200RT I opted for the 49L case with interior light and brake light. Removal is a little less convenient as you have to unplug it and route the plug out. I found carrying the case to be quite tricky, however, as there is no handle and the aluminum top is smooth. As I very rarely if ever remove my case, especially when touring, this is not a problem for me.

I much prefer the Givi styling, but I am glad I went with the OEM option this time for the convenience and the fun and utility of having an interior light.

Here you go:

IMG_1034.jpg

That looks simply fabulous, and will be enough to quell my current drive to dress up my doll w/o spending a fortune! Does it have a clear coat on top presumably? Cost?

Thanks, I'm on it!

My experience is similar. I have always had after market cases - usually Givi - which are quite easy to take off and transport. On my 2016 R1200RT I opted for the 49L case with interior light and brake light. Removal is a little less convenient as you have to unplug it and route the plug out. I found carrying the case to be quite tricky, however, as there is no handle and the aluminum top is smooth. As I very rarely if ever remove my case, especially when touring, this is not a problem for me.

I much prefer the Givi styling, but I am glad I went with the OEM option this time for the convenience and the fun and utility of having an interior light.
Scott, my 49L BMW top case is plastic, no aluminum top on it.

Like you, I virtually never remove my case and when I do it is at home so the unfortunate lack of a handle isn't much of an issue as much as a slight annoyance.

Some riders take their cases off when they get to their resting spots for the evening, I've never been able to figure that out. The last thing I want to be dealing with at the end of the day is bulky, heavy items that have road grime and perhaps water on them. Even with nothing in them they aren't very light and definitely are bulky and awkard trying to carry through doors, etc.

I use Kathy's inner bag liners and simply take the ones I want in at night (top and left-side case liners). I pack all my emergency roadside stuff and standby supplies in the right bag liner (safest place for accessing on the side of the road - away from passing vehicles) and then the top case bag liner holds the items I tend to use or might want during the day, and the rest of the space holds the items I use most often (top case is by far the easiest space to access at any time).
49L_1__37527_std.jpg
The left side case bag holds the clothing, etc., that I'll want to access after I've stopped for the day. This provides me with the safest and easiest access to everything as well as ensures that I only have two lightweight Cordura bags with good handles to carry (you can also use the included shoulder strap). My helmet goes into the top case when I take out the liner bag. Very simple and very efficient. Using the top case means that I have all the storage I need without the hassle of using one of my tank bags. I find this setup far more comfortable and easy than anything else I've tried.

The paint job looks nice! Way better than the one color fits all.....
That was my reasoning when I did mine as well John. For me at least, colour matching brings the overall look together much more.

Here you go:

IMG_1034.jpg

That looks simply fabulous, and will be enough to quell my current drive to dress up my doll w/o spending a fortune! Does it have a clear coat on top presumably? Cost?

Thanks, I'm on it!

Yes it turned out great. I had painted the top case of my blue '13 RT myself with a rattle-can kit of water-based primer/paint/clearcoat from Amazon. It came out well but there was definitely some orange peel that I couldn't knock down, though it was invisible from beyond a couple feet distance. The paint kit that included various sandpaper, rubber gloves and other bits cost about $80 and the job took about 8 hours labor between drying times -- masking, sand, prime, wait, sand, paint, wait, paint, wait, clear coat, wait, wetsand, clear coat, wait, wetsand, etc. Pain in the neck, really, but it looked good.

For my '16 RT I decided to get some pro quotes so I removed and carefully masked the top shell and shopped around and found a local large collision center whose top painter does side jobs after hours. He did it for me for $140 cash using BMW paint and clear. He was very careful about the color choice as he brought out 3 sample paint cards -- there are three code-numbered "flavors" of original BMW car Platin Bronze -- that we held against the RT's side cases in direct sun to find the exact match of flakes and tint.

The pro job was worth the cost to me and I think the clean style of the "old" 28L OEM case design looks fine on the wethead. It was wise for BMW to keep the wethead rack mount design compatible with older 28/49 cases. I really like how it pops on/off instantly with its sturdy handle. I use CeeBaileys liners. I'm thinking of getting the small Softcase 3 for the pillion seat and a SW-Motech tank bag (since BMW dropped their great tank bag rails) and I'll be set for a spring touring trip.

The 49L top case section that is matte silver simply removes from the actual top case (4-6 screws from the inside IIRC) so it needs no masking at all. My auto body shop did it with clearcoat for $100 CDN cash. Might have helped that I new them and they are also motorcyclists.

Sounds like you got a good deal. The 28L lid also unbolts easily at the hinges and the BMW roundel can be removed by carefully sawing strong fishing line through the adhesive under it. However, the black outside hinges are riveted to the lid and I didn't want them painted, so I masked them and also the thick rubber lid gasket and the entire inside of the lid. The gasket appears to be glued in somehow (and isn't available as a separate part if I ruined it pulling it out) and I also wanted the inside of the lid to remain black with the inside lip painted up to the gasket.

Old style case

I have a 2016 R1200RT and purchased the older style 49L top case with the pop out handle like the panniers for super quick and easy removal plus it was a lot cheaper. It is not quite as sleek as the new style but I only use it on trips and if I make a run for a couple of bigger items. My wife loves how comfortable it is to lean against as well. Just a thought.

Last edited:
For my '16 RT I decided to get some pro quotes so I removed and carefully masked the top shell...

So you took the clamshell lid off of the 28L top case, and masked parts on the lid? How hard was that to remove, or you mean you took the whole 28L case off of the bike and masked the lid then turned over to the painter? I ask because I haven't looked at it yet but I've heard tales of woe in disassembling the 28L top case. If you have the time I wouldn't mind seeing what you did to decide where to stop the Plat Bronze paint to make a clean break w/ the black finish, perhaps a photo of the opened lid?

Thanks!

I used to have a 22 liter topcase on several bikes. I replaced all of them with Jesse topcases or Pelican cases of various sizes, What ever fits and looks good works for me. Please don't overthink this stuff.

Last edited:
FWIW Over the years I've had different top cases on different bike. When I got a GS I put Jessie cases on it. They are outstanding...evan after several spills.
Traded the GS for a new R1200RS but kept the Jessie top case. Only use it on long trips, takes about 10 minutes to bolt on. Yep it is square and boxy...but the function can not be beat. I bet I keep it longer than the RS....I trade at 90 or 100k miles.

So you took the clamshell lid off of the 28L top case, and masked parts on the lid? How hard was that to remove, or you mean you took the whole 28L case off of the bike and masked the lid then turned over to the painter? I ask because I haven't looked at it yet but I've heard tales of woe in disassembling the 28L top case. If you have the time I wouldn't mind seeing what you did to decide where to stop the Plat Bronze paint to make a clean break w/ the black finish, perhaps a photo of the opened lid?

Thanks!

The top clamshell lid hinges are Torx-bolted to the base clamshell so the lid is easily removed. That's the extent of disassembly needed and that's what I gave to the painter. The external hinges are riveted to the top clamshell and can't be removed, so I masked them with tape.

I masked the inside of the lid by slipping tape down between the outer edge of the rubber gasket and the outer edge of the gasket channel and then lining the inside with paper. So the only inside part painted was around the inside lip up to the edge of the rubber gasket channel. I suppose you could just tape the gasket itself and have the whole inside painted as well, but I preferred to keep it black.

After painting I added the BMW backrest pad to the top clamshell with the bolts supplied with it (by drilling two carefully measured holes).

I've owned many RTs... 2002 1150 through 2014 LC
Currently have a 2013 Camhead...

I've always had one of the smaller BMW Top Cases.. 28 liter.
Very simple to install and remove.
Looks good on the bike IMO... you could paint the top half.. but I think it looks fine as is / black
More than enough additional storage for my purposes....especially when combined with the side cases and a Tank Bag.

My 2013 RT, which I recently purchased, came with a GIVI Top case and mounting plate..The case itself looks good enough and carries stuff just fine, but the carrier plate is sort of clunky...
looks out of place on an otherwise nicely finished bike.

Personally, I never cared for the appearance of the 49 liter block and have no need for it's HUGE capacity, although I'm sure it's just the ticket for some folks.
As another wrote, it's pretty big, and to some degree must have a negative effect on aerodynamics, mpg, and when loaded up with stuff, perhaps even handling.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw...WosVQKHRnPAyIQ7AkIag&biw=1360&bih=649#imgrc=_

Suit yourself..
Now go spend.....

Ditto on the 28L top box. Plenty of room if you are a solo rider and not so ungainly as the 49L. Much better price as well.

The top clamshell lid hinges are Torx-bolted to the base clamshell so the lid is easily removed. That's the extent of disassembly needed and that's what I gave to the painter. The external hinges are riveted to the top clamshell and can't be removed, so I masked them with tape.

I masked the inside of the lid by slipping tape down between the outer edge of the rubber gasket and the outer edge of the gasket channel and then lining the inside with paper. So the only inside part painted was around the inside lip up to the edge of the rubber gasket channel. I suppose you could just tape the gasket itself and have the whole inside painted as well, but I preferred to keep it black.

After painting I added the BMW backrest pad to the top clamshell with the bolts supplied with it (by drilling two carefully measured holes).

Thank you for that I appreciate it. I wonder if, next time the side cases are off, you take another photo. I almost never have my side cases on, and my mind's eye is telling me all black might look better than having the top painted, which looks I feel nothing short of fabulous WITH your side cases on. No hurry you've already been super helpful. Thanks again!

Back