• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Performance Center

elgin mary

I'm thinking about taking the one day on road course at the BMW Performance Center. Has anyone here taken the course? What can you tell me about it? It's pretty pricey, $755 with a rental 1200 GS. I've been riding for many years but I've never felt totally comfortable in the twisties.

I appreciate any comments.

Thanks.

I'm thinking about taking the one day on road course at the BMW Performance Center. Has anyone here taken the course? What can you tell me about it? It's pretty pricey, $755 with a rental 1200 GS. I've been riding for many years but I've never felt totally comfortable in the twisties.

I appreciate any comments.

Thanks.

I did the one day course. They now offer a 1 and 2 day course of instruction. It was excellent. Slow speed handling, with speeds gradually increasing to track speeds (not a high speed event), obstacle avoidance, braking techniques and balance and control stuff. Rent the bike. If you drop yours even standing still, the repair cost will likely exceed the rental cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took the one-day course five years ago. At the time the only option was using their GS models. I believe I got a price reduction because of BMW CCA membership. I think there's a reduction for BMW MOA membership now.

Very good instruction. Not a track day, but many opportunities to learn new things. I thought the swerving instruction and the piece with the locked rear wheel (with ABS) was really helpful. A great confidence builder. Very professional instruction.

If you want a cheaper tune-up for twisties, try the MSF Advanced Ridercourse. It is a lot of fun and includes some challenging activities that will build confidence in your abilities to handle your bike.

It is a one-day course that complements your basic skills and helps with personal risk assessment. It includes a fast-paced classroom segment with several fun interactive activities to improve perception and hazard awareness. Range exercises enhance both basic operating skills and crash-avoidance skills. Improving your braking and cornering finesse is emphasized. The course is beneficial for riders on any type of street motorcycle.

All that said, the BMW Performance Center staff is outstanding, and all the programs they teach are top-notch excellent. You will love the setup at Spartinburg, but bring $$ for all the goodies in the store !

All riders should consider doing continuing education classes when and where available. They are fun, and you will likely learn something. A really good feature of any formal class is to have an instructor looking at your riding. We tend to develop bad habits that we may not be aware of that an instructor will spot and give suggestions how to correct. Many skills we use are volatile and will deteriorate if not practiced regularly. How often do you practice straight-line maximum braking, braking in curves, and emergency swerving ? Most riders have not practiced those in a very long time, and when you need them, you really, really need to know how to do it automatically without a lot of thought.

Many times over the years I have had former students either call me or see me at classes or the local shops, and thank me for the training that they used to avoid a bad accident. That makes the hours standing around ranges in 100 degree 90 percent humidity worth it for me.

The Performance Center offers MOA members a 15% discount off tuition. That should help. And, apply for a Paul B. Scholarship through the Foundation. You can get another $250 for the training of your choice. Combine those two discounts and your cost just went to $392!

Back