Thread: BMW Performance Center

BMW Performance Center

I'm thinking about taking the one day on road course at the BMW Performance Center. Has anyone here taken the course? What can you tell me about it? It's pretty pricey, $755 with a rental 1200 GS. I've been riding for many years but I've never felt totally comfortable in the twisties.

I appreciate any comments.

Thanks.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT, gone
    2014 R1200RTW, GREAT

Quote Originally Posted by elgin mary View Post
    I'm thinking about taking the one day on road course at the BMW Performance Center. Has anyone here taken the course? What can you tell me about it? It's pretty pricey, $755 with a rental 1200 GS. I've been riding for many years but I've never felt totally comfortable in the twisties.

I appreciate any comments.

Thanks.
    I did the one day course. They now offer a 1 and 2 day course of instruction. It was excellent. Slow speed handling, with speeds gradually increasing to track speeds (not a high speed event), obstacle avoidance, braking techniques and balance and control stuff. Rent the bike. If you drop yours even standing still, the repair cost will likely exceed the rental cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took the one-day course five years ago. At the time the only option was using their GS models. I believe I got a price reduction because of BMW CCA membership. I think there's a reduction for BMW MOA membership now.

Very good instruction. Not a track day, but many opportunities to learn new things. I thought the swerving instruction and the piece with the locked rear wheel (with ABS) was really helpful. A great confidence builder. Very professional instruction.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

If you want a cheaper tune-up for twisties, try the MSF Advanced Ridercourse. It is a lot of fun and includes some challenging activities that will build confidence in your abilities to handle your bike.

It is a one-day course that complements your basic skills and helps with personal risk assessment. It includes a fast-paced classroom segment with several fun interactive activities to improve perception and hazard awareness. Range exercises enhance both basic operating skills and crash-avoidance skills. Improving your braking and cornering finesse is emphasized. The course is beneficial for riders on any type of street motorcycle.

All that said, the BMW Performance Center staff is outstanding, and all the programs they teach are top-notch excellent. You will love the setup at Spartinburg, but bring $$ for all the goodies in the store !

All riders should consider doing continuing education classes when and where available. They are fun, and you will likely learn something. A really good feature of any formal class is to have an instructor looking at your riding. We tend to develop bad habits that we may not be aware of that an instructor will spot and give suggestions how to correct. Many skills we use are volatile and will deteriorate if not practiced regularly. How often do you practice straight-line maximum braking, braking in curves, and emergency swerving ? Most riders have not practiced those in a very long time, and when you need them, you really, really need to know how to do it automatically without a lot of thought.

Many times over the years I have had former students either call me or see me at classes or the local shops, and thank me for the training that they used to avoid a bad accident. That makes the hours standing around ranges in 100 degree 90 percent humidity worth it for me.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350, Instructor, Louisiana Dept of Public Safety
    Motorcycle Safety, Awareness & Operator Training Program
    NAUI Instructor #36288, Board Member, Divers Alert Network

The Performance Center offers MOA members a 15% discount off tuition. That should help. And, apply for a Paul B. Scholarship through the Foundation. You can get another $250 for the training of your choice. Combine those two discounts and your cost just went to $392!
    Ted Moyer
    '12 DL650, '06 R1200RT, '78 R100RS Motosport, '72 XL250, '83 RZ350, '94 KLX650, '80 GS850G

Scholarship

Thanks Ted. I just submitted an application for the scholarship.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT, gone
    2014 R1200RTW, GREAT