• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

N-Com vs Sena

hesterx6

Does anyone know or have any thoughts on The Nolan N-Com B5 or B5L? I cant really find any reviews on them. I am trying to decide on A Sena system or Nolan System. I am purchasing a Nolan 104 evo. Thanks for the advise!!

Jim Hester
1991 R100RT

I've got no experience with Nolan, but my experience with the Sena product has been awesome. From the Scala to the Bmw communicator, the Sena is tops, hands down for ease of use and clarity. Plus being able to link multiple units in just a few seconds is incredible....in my opinion of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only experience I have is with the B5 and it has performed well in meeting our needs. We use it mainly for the intercom but also have it paired with phones and iPads and use the FM radio. No problems and great battery life in our experience. Easy install in our N104 helmets that were compatible.

FYI - got mine from Italy at a great price

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?76306-burnoutitaly-com

If you need any other info feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
I got 2 Nolan 104's and both with the B5.

Great battery life, good FM radio, great phone quality on the receiving end.

I wear ear plugs and at 100 kph have the volume at max, can hear everything fine. I'd say the modular helmets lets more road noise in at high speeds, but the B5 is fine with the 10.

I've had really good connection with my phone, but then the B5 would drop it out randomly. Same with FM radio... occasionally it would just drop out, but I can't be sure if that is a reception issue.

Had few issues with pairing 2nd channel rider, but once we figured it out it worked well with +500 m range. Haven't used it in a group, can't comment on anything more that use with 2 bikes.

Memorizing all the button combos to use all the features is sucks, but you can control the B5 from your phone.

I'd say the biggest pain in the butt is using the ncom wizard to update the firmware of the helmet, but that is not something you do to often.

Jim, approx. 4 years ago, I went through the same process as you are now. I had two Nolan helmets and an Autocomm (wired) communications system and decided I was going to go Bluetooth.

Back then it was a close call for me - which way to go N-Comm vs Sena.

Certainly the N-Comm is a very nicely integrated unit for a Nolan helmet, and with two Nolan helmets, it was definitely worth a strong look, but it lost out in my deliberations over two issues:

1. Future usage options - While I had two Nolans back then (one for my wife), I also had a good quality HJC that was a bit quieter and lighter than the Nolans and liked to use once and a while. The N-comm didn't fit the HJC very well. ;-) Fast forward 4 years and one of the Nolans has cycled out (I use a helmet for 5 years and then replace it). I still have three helmets that I use, but now they are a Nolan, an Arai and a Schuberth C3. Had I gone the N-Comm route fitment would have been a real issue. By going Sena, it was merely a matter of transferring the unit from the cycled-out helmet to it's replacement. I didn't feel the need to stay with just Nolan
  2. Pairing to other manufacturers units - Sena is stronger in this area and developing/advancing that aspect as much as, or more than, anyone else.

My main issue was that I wanted to avoid a "proprietary" system (Nolan/Schuberth/BMW) and have as much ease and span of options as possible. That, for me, meant going the Sena route. I have no idea what make/model of helmet I'll get to replace my C3 when it cycles-out in 3 years, but I do know that if I want to keep my existing Sena comm units, I should be able to. Before then, I will likely have upgraded my Sena unit, and left my wife's as is but I think I'll have the most options possible, and that was important to me.

Jim, approx. 4 years ago, I went through the same process as you are now. I had two Nolan helmets and an Autocomm (wired) communications system and decided I was going to go Bluetooth.

Back then it was a close call for me - which way to go N-Comm vs Sena.

Certainly the N-Comm is a very nicely integrated unit for a Nolan helmet, and with two Nolan helmets, it was definitely worth a strong look, but it lost out in my deliberations over two issues:

1. Future usage options - While I had two Nolans back then (one for my wife), I also had a good quality HJC that was a bit quieter and lighter than the Nolans and liked to use once and a while. The N-comm didn't fit the HJC very well. ;-) Fast forward 4 years and one of the Nolans has cycled out (I use a helmet for 5 years and then replace it). I still have three helmets that I use, but now they are a Nolan, an Arai and a Schuberth C3. Had I gone the N-Comm route fitment would have been a real issue. By going Sena, it was merely a matter of transferring the unit from the cycled-out helmet to it's replacement. I didn't feel the need to stay with just Nolan
  2. Pairing to other manufacturers units - Sena is stronger in this area and developing/advancing that aspect as much as, or more than, anyone else.

My main issue was that I wanted to avoid a "proprietary" system (Nolan/Schuberth/BMW) and have as much ease and span of options as possible. That, for me, meant going the Sena route. I have no idea what make/model of helmet I'll get to replace my C3 when it cycles-out in 3 years, but I do know that if I want to keep my existing Sena comm units, I should be able to. Before then, I will likely have upgraded my Sena unit, and left my wife's as is but I think I'll have the most options possible, and that was important to me.
Just to point out, ncomm has the M5 which is universal fit...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't aware of that. It's been some time since I went through that process and settled on the Sena units, so I've not looked at anything else unless it was making news, like Cardo has with it's PackTalk and DMC-Dynamic Meshwork Communication technology or Sena with their Mesh Technology, etc.

As I'd mentioned, my primary consideration at the time was portability so I'm glad to see that Nolan has an option now for that.

Thank you everyone for your honest opinions. I am just now able to acquire my first Bluetooth comm system. I have been leaning towards the 20S, but wasn't sure. After reading this thread and a few others looks like my account is going to be lighter. I do not have a Nolan but a Shoie NeoTec and was debating between the J&M, Sena and Cardo.

Mike

Mike, if it is the 20S you decide on, if you can wait until May, Sena will have released their new 30K which might reduce the price of the 20S slightly so that might less the hit on your account. ;-)

Mike, if it is the 20S you decide on, if you can wait until May, Sena will have released their new 30K which might reduce the price of the 20S slightly so that might less the hit on your account. ;-)

You should also check out the new SENA app which allows you to communicate with a large group at any distance using cell or wifi technology.

You should also check out the new SENA app which allows you to communicate with a large group at any distance using cell or wifi technology.

Not sure about using WiFi for distance... Especially when driving

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I've been wondering if one could use their cell phone WiFi Hotspot feature to use the RideConnected app over your Data package vs your Voice minutes. Not an issue for me in Canada but when I'm in the US or other countries the phone packages I can get through my provider are split into data and voice with not a lot of call minutes if I make or receive any calls. This might not be a realistic idea depending on how data intensive things are.

Alan:
I pondered that and I tried hard to hold out for as long as I have. Been riding for six years and this will be my first comm system. I had been just using my LG Bluetooth headset, but after breaking two sets over the two years, I figured it was cheaper to just pull the trigger on this now than keep shelling out $80 a year for new headsets.

PK:
That was one of the reasons I honed in on the 20S. I wanted to see what the 30K was going to bring to the table before I made a decision, but oh well.
Looking forward to putting in my helmet and enjoying what I have heard so much about.

Alan:
I pondered that and I tried hard to hold out for as long as I have. Been riding for six years and this will be my first comm system. I had been just using my LG Bluetooth headset, but after breaking two sets over the two years, I figured it was cheaper to just pull the trigger on this now than keep shelling out $80 a year for new headsets.

PK:
That was one of the reasons I honed in on the 20S. I wanted to see what the 30K was going to bring to the table before I made a decision, but oh well.
Looking forward to putting in my helmet and enjoying what I have heard so much about.

I usually ride alone, so the rider-to-rider nor the rider-pillion have much use for me. I have the 10U for my Neotech helmet. I thought the new SENA app was interesting because it allows over the horizon commas. I saw a thread somewhere people tested it talking from the east coast to someone in Alaska. Bottom line is that every unit/brand has it pluses and minuses. Figuring out the best fit is the toughest part.

My daughters are starting to ride with me more and there have been a few instances where comms would have enhanced the trip. I rarely ride in a pack or group, and when I do we all have either maps or GPS and have designated stops so we ride our own ride and meet up later. The big reasons for the comm system is GPS and music. I am one of those people that needs some background noise or else my mind wanders and my focus starts to wane.

Happy Sena SMH10 user here. Got a bunch of my riding buddies to buy the same unit. Solid performer but not the latest and greatest. Drawback that a friend of mine had with his Nolan was that the mounting method of SMH10 was a screw clamp along the bottom edge of helmet shell (which is fine for my Shoei RF1100) necessitated that he cut a small bit of the rolled edge of his Nolan. Newer Sena 10S has a stick on mount which should work pretty much universally. Sena 10S is a more expensive, better performing and more feature-filled communicator but I think the SMH10 is the best value and is solid in performance.

Well after a full week of video's and reading and getting a headache Ive decided on the Sena 20s because I really like the phone app part of the Sena.

I hate how big the sena is but with a black helmet it should look smaller.

Plus I see more features on the Sena over the M5.
IMO

I didn't know about the 30K. After reading the specs on the Sena site, this looks like an answer in search of a question. The big selling point seems to be building an intercom network. The 20S supports 8 nodes. Riding with the number of intercom nodes supported by the 30K would be zero fun. DAHIK

IMHO, stay with the 20S. Although I like the SMH-10 (still have it for two helmets without the 20S mount), the 20S is definitely a step up from the SMH-10. Some of it is slicker operation. One of the features that I use surprisingly often is the "ambient mic", an external mic activated by a double press of the button on the mount. With the mic enabled, talking with someone is much easier. You can hear them without climbing out of your helmet. Tolls, gas stations, roadside map checks... this is a big plus. One big gripe is there's no reliable way to control gain for individual inputs. In my case, my Garmin Zumo 600, in BT mode, has full volume without a way to dial it back (unlike non-BT mode).If I could dial back the GPS input and boost the phone, I'd be a happier camper. A neutral point, some people claim the 20S isn't waterproof. Sena claims "water resistant" (IMHO weasel words). I've ridden on Interstates in driving rain and had no problems. YMMV

Two other pluses: Sena uses their proprietary Device Manager to load firmware updates. It's fairly simple if you follow the directions. There is a Sena app for controlling almost all 20S functions (via BT). Not too surprisingly, the only control parameter not supported is "clear all pairings" which clears intercom and BT pairing.

Sena customer support (mostly for their Prism camera) is excellent. Communications with the planners and corporate "suits" are non-existent.

All of that said, I'd buy the 20S again.

One big gripe is there's no reliable way to control gain for individual inputs. In my case, my Garmin Zumo 600, in BT mode, has full volume without a way to dial it back (unlike non-BT mode).If I could dial back the GPS input and boost the phone, I'd be a happier camper.

I recently bought a used zumo 590. Audio to my SMH10 was clear for phone and music (either on the SDcard or streamed through from the phone), but the spoken navigation directions was badly distorted, as if the speakers were over-driven. The volume controls on the zumo apparently do nothing to Bluetooth output. Following a suggestion from another forum, yesterday I managed to lower the volume on the SMH10 while the navigation directions were being given, and the voice became clear. Apparently there is a difference in the Bluetooth communication mode for these directions, and the SMH10 maintains different gain levels for the different modes. Previously, I had thought the levels were stored per device, and had not tried adjustments while the directions were being given.

Back