• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

07 RT1200 front brake bleed just sucks air in reservoir

installed rebuilt abs module, rear brake fine but vacuum pump just keeps sucking air in front reservoir instead of fluid,I tried left and rt .there is no bleed screws on the module itself so I am bleeding from the calipers, Bruce

installed rebuilt abs module, rear brake fine but vacuum pump just keeps sucking air in front reservoir instead of fluid,I tried left and rt .there is no bleed screws on the module itself so I am bleeding from the calipers, Bruce

Do you have a GS-911?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 rt1200

Welcome to the forums. The GS-911 Brian asked about is a diagnostic tool that can be used to read and reset fault codes and activate some maintenance functions. On some models it can be used to reset the service reminder, but I don't think your bike has a reminder. Brian may be thinking that the GS-911 could be used to activate the ABS pump to facilitate getting fluid into the system. I don't recall that function being possible on the 07 RT but I may be wrong. There are some very knowledgeable folks on the hex head forum and one will assuredly be along to help you.

Just for your information, there is an extensive DIY subforum available for the hex heads. It provides excellent how-to advice for all the routine maintenance procedures. The DIY library is at the top of the page when you enter the hex head forum. When you enter the library you will not see any threads. You will see a option drop down box that says "Last Year". Change that to "Beginning" and then click the "Show Threads" box on the right side of the page.

Good Luck!

Welcome to the forums. The GS-911 Brian asked about is a diagnostic tool that can be used to read and reset fault codes and activate some maintenance functions. On some models it can be used to reset the service reminder, but I don't think your bike has a reminder. Brian may be thinking that the GS-911 could be used to activate the ABS pump to facilitate getting fluid into the system. I don't recall that function being possible on the 07 RT but I may be wrong. There are some very knowledgeable folks on the hex head forum and one will assuredly be along to help you.

Just for your information, there is an extensive DIY subforum available for the hex heads. It provides excellent how-to advice for all the routine maintenance procedures. The DIY library is at the top of the page when you enter the hex head forum. When you enter the library you will not see any threads. You will see a option drop down box that says "Last Year". Change that to "Beginning" and then click the "Show Threads" box on the right side of the page.

Good Luck!
The GS-911 can do the bleed ABS modulator on the 2007 R1200R (Hi Brian!) - so I would have to believe it could do it on an RT - same system, same brakes.

tried to bleed the master cylinder but just keep getting air bubbles from the fill hole for the piston cup, could the cup be swelled and sticking? or am I overlooking a different problem

tried to bleed the master cylinder but just keep getting air bubbles from the fill hole for the piston cup, could the cup be swelled and sticking? or am I overlooking a different problem

So, as the guys above mentioned (hey Don!), the GS-911 will bleed the ABS pump, but now you're on to the master cylinder with bubbles. I guess I will step back and ask where you got the ABS rebuilt? As far as I know, and I could be wrong here, but most rebuilds are ready for installation I thought (someone jump in here if I'm incorrect). But then I ask the question again, do you have a GS-911 or know somebody with one? If the rebuilt abs was in fact ready for install then you just need to bleed the brake lines per the wonderful instructions in the tech sub forums. (Thanks again Don!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you do not have the GS-911 another way to get the ABS pump to run is put the bike on the center stand and turn the back wheel while you apply the brakes. The bike will sense that the back wheel is turning and the front is not and activate the ABS system. Do this a few times while you are bleeding the brakes. This will get the air out of the ABS pump.

Thanks
Roger L

Have you tried to bleed the circuit directly using pressure instead of vacuum? Fill the master cylinder reservoir, and push fluid through the system using the hand brake lever, alternately opening and closing the bleeders on the caliper. If there's a stuck bubble in the middle of the circuit, this would have a better chance of dislodging it.

I had my ABS module on my 2008 RT rebuilt by Module Masters and had a bit of a problem getting the fron brake not to be spongy after the reinstall. I searched the problem and someone mentioned to put the bike on the center stand and bungie the brake handle to the pressed position and leave it overnight. I woke up to a perfectly hard front brake the next morning. I didn't believe it either but give it a try....nothing to lose.

Ron

I had my ABS module on my 2008 RT rebuilt by Module Masters and had a bit of a problem getting the fron brake not to be spongy after the reinstall. I searched the problem and someone mentioned to put the bike on the center stand and bungie the brake handle to the pressed position and leave it overnight. I woke up to a perfectly hard front brake the next morning. I didn't believe it either but give it a try....nothing to lose.

Ron
That was probably me. It was by the advice long ago given me by Joe Katz (RIP) Master BMW Mechanic and owner of BMW-Orlando. As he said to me "Gravity sucks.." The idea being to let the system sit pressurized overnight and when you release the brake lever in the morning the bubble that finally travelled up the brake lines to the master cylinder burped out the pressure relief hold in the master cylinder. I found it hard to believe until I tried it. I've also used it on cars - with similar success. Go figure!

Believe it or not the instructions for my brand new vacuum bleeder (made in China) were backwards. they read move the slide back towards handle for vacuum bleeding brakes, which actually was for pressure thus forcing air bubbles into master cylinder. I tried moving the slide forward out of frustration and common sense and had instant vacuum, the brakes were bled in minutes. Thank you all for trying to help! I was hoping the tool was made in America. ugggh!

...and they lived happily ever after! :dance
I love a good ending story, and nice of you to admit
what the problem was.:thumb

Here is it trick I used my my K75 (non-ABS) after replacing the master cylinder. I could not get a firm lever no matter how much I bleed they out the brake nipples. So I took a 0.5" body diameter syringe and stuck it tightly in the hole in the bottom of the reservoir. Then I pulled up the plunger quickly and sucked the air right out of the system. It worked like a charm.

Not sure if you should do this with ABS.

Scott

Believe it or not the instructions for my brand new vacuum bleeder (made in China) were backwards. they read move the slide back towards handle for vacuum bleeding brakes, which actually was for pressure thus forcing air bubbles into master cylinder. I tried moving the slide forward out of frustration and common sense and had instant vacuum, the brakes were bled in minutes. Thank you all for trying to help! I was hoping the tool was made in America. ugggh!

We've all been there.

Back